5.56 reloading, which primers for AR-15?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chad2

Mar 26, 2011
    I have lake city brass and I am looking to make the most precise 77gr smk bullets that i can. I am reloading for an AR15, 20 inch match barrel, with a YMF match bcg. My question is, what primers should I use? I was going to buy cci primers but they have 3 diff types of primers for the 556 which ones should I get?

Is milspec primers a must with ARs.

I am also still waiting for natchez or anyone else to get more then 1 lb of RL15. to place my order.

Thx for the help

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've used CCI #400, Winchester WSR, Federal #205, and I just ordered some CCI #41. I have had no problems with any of them. They've all gone bang for me.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I've used CCI BR primers and #41s...I've heard internet rumors of slam fires without Mil primers but yet to actually see one

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    I should say I only use the 205m primers for my 77gr loads. I use CCI 400s in all my other 223 loads. I do have 1000 41's but haven't broke into them yet.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Started with 400's, felt they were a bit soft and showed pressure signs prematurely - but always went bang. Switched to the 41's, slightly higher cost, but liked them.

Of all the things, I had some of the best consistency with H335 and Wolf/Tula srp's. Got them because they were cheap and plentiful, actually turned out to be a winning combo for me and my rifles/ammo.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I use CCI 400s, BR or other brands may work up a couple tenths of a grain different. I don't really shoot in a style precise enough to tell a difference in accuracy compared to other component changes. Standard CCIs are fairly hard, have never had slamfire issues, 41s might help if I did, but then you could have ignition issues with aftermarket triggers, Fed are probably the softest, if your rifle will ever have a slamfire, it would probably be with federal.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I use CCI 400s, BR or other brands may work up a couple tenths of a grain different. I don't really shoot in a style precise enough to tell a difference in accuracy compared to other component changes. Standard CCIs are fairly hard, have never had slamfire issues, 41s might help if I did, but then you could have ignition issues with aftermarket triggers, Fed are probably the softest, if your rifle will ever have a slamfire, it would probably be with federal.

Winchesters WSR are supposed to be softer. I use them in my 20'' rifle mostly. Haven't had a slam-fire yet and that's with a JP FCG in it(no bump fires either).

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Avoid Winchester primers. They have thin cups and a tendency to pierce, which does bad things to your bolt face and firing pin. Russian small rifle magnum primers (Wolf/Tula) are good but, they don't seem to be importing them anymore thanks to Obama. CCI BR4 or Remington 7 1/2 BR primers are good. Unfortunately, CCI has lost their mind when it comes to the price of their BR primers! I started testing CCI 400 primers recently, since I picked up several thousand for almost nothing. They are actually giving me smaller groups than the CCI BR primers, so far. I have not pushed "hot"loads with these and see no need to.
    There are powders other than RE15 that work extremely well. You may want to try IMR 8208 XBR, it is a short grained extruded powder that meters extremely well. IMR 8208 XBR is readily available and did I say it meters extremely well! N140 is also excellent but has become pricey, though it did come out on top in my accuracy testing ( only one lot tested). Accuracy with N140 was so consistent that I saw no need to change powders until it disappeared from the shelves for around 2 years during the panic. Varget has become unobtainium so we won't go there.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    The Russian primers are actually pretty good and many target shooters use them. Some are a little thin/soft for AR stuff and their naming scheme is a bit confusing so do a little research before heading down that path. They do make ones appropriate for the AR15. At the time I bought them, they were way cheaper than CCI. They also have the benefit of coming oriented the correct way in the trays such that you don't need to flip them when loading Dillon primer tubes.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Avoid Winchester primers. They have thin cups and a tendency to pierce, which does bad things to your bolt face and firing pin. Russian small rifle magnum primers (Wolf/Tula) are good but, they don't seem to be importing them anymore thanks to Obama. CCI BR4 or Remington 7 1/2 BR primers are good. Unfortunately, CCI has lost their mind when it comes to the price of their BR primers! I started testing CCI 400 primers recently, since I picked up several thousand for almost nothing. They are actually giving me smaller groups than the CCI BR primers, so far. I have not pushed "hot"loads with these and see no need to.
    There are powders other than RE15 that work extremely well. You may want to try IMR 8208 XBR, it is a short grained extruded powder that meters extremely well. IMR 8208 XBR is readily available and did I say it meters extremely well! N140 is also excellent but has become pricey, though it did come out on top in my accuracy testing ( only one lot tested). Accuracy with N140 was so consistent that I saw no need to change powders until it disappeared from the shelves for around 2 years during the panic. Varget has become unobtainium so we won't go there.

I've been using the Winchester primers for a while and never had a primer pierce, not saying it can't happen, but I guess I've been lucky. I use Remington primers also.
    The 8208 XBR is all I use in my 5.56 AR's, definately a good choice in powder for 223/5.56. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom