• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I think this is what we had on our 4 runner...Yokohama Geolanders

129_1104_22_o%2B129_1104_mud_tire_shootout_fifth_place_yokohama_geolandar_mt%2Btread_shot.jpg

They look like snow boots! :thumbsup: Perfect but will they last?

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    I'm currently debating with my wife about 4 Runner vs. Highlander. I am intrigued by the 4runner, but she doesn't seemed thrilled by it. 4Runner has worse MPG and I am still unsure if you can get a 3rd row, which she seems to want. I've been doing all the reading and seeing that the 4Runner is more like a truck, not as nice to drive, blah blah blah. What can I say to her besides the 4Runner is more suitable for the Armageddon?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I dont know if they make a 3rd row in 4runner? Its decent but it gets cramped up on long trips...Im short and my leg room was very limited in the 4runner...it has decent pulling power.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I'd caution against overconfidence on icy roads though. The 4Runner is nearly as good as it gets, but nothing is more important than prudent driving where ice is involved.

My first thought as well. A great 4x4 helps you get going on ice and snow but just having power to all four wheels does nothing to help you stop.

Sig Fan

Feb 15, 2011
    PRMD
    I'm currently debating with my wife about 4 Runner vs. Highlander. I am intrigued by the 4runner, but she doesn't seemed thrilled by it. 4Runner has worse MPG and I am still unsure if you can get a 3rd row, which she seems to want. I've been doing all the reading and seeing that the 4Runner is more like a truck, not as nice to drive, blah blah blah. What can I say to her besides the 4Runner is more suitable for the Armageddon?

I have both - an '08 Highlander and a '10 4Runner. You can get both with the 3rd row seat. The Highlander drives much more like a car. The 4Runner definitely drives more like a truck (because it is - it's body on frame, not uni-body like the HL), but I still find it pretty smooth and quiet. The 4Runner is bigger all around - like the Highlander on steroids. Wilcam47 said more than once that the 4Runner interior is cramped, but he had a 4th Gen. The current 5th Gen is a lot more spacious on the interior (I almost bought an '07, but once I drove a '10 it was no comparison - interior was much more comfortable). Both tend to chomp tires.

My wife likes to drive the Highlander, I like the 4Runner. I'll bet that will be the same with you guys.

If you have any other questions let me know.

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    I have both - an '08 Highlander and a '10 4Runner. You can get both with the 3rd row seat. The Highlander drives much more like a car. The 4Runner definitely drives more like a truck (because it is - it's body on frame, not uni-body like the HL), but I still find it pretty smooth and quiet. The 4Runner is bigger all around - like the Highlander on steroids. Wilcam47 said more than once that the 4Runner interior is cramped, but he had a 4th Gen. The current 5th Gen is a lot more spacious on the interior (I almost bought an '07, but once I drove a '10 it was no comparison - interior was much more comfortable). Both tend to chomp tires.

My wife likes to drive the Highlander, I like the 4Runner. I'll bet that will be the same with you guys.

Thanks for the info! It's nice to hear someone with real experience with both. :thumbsup:

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county

We went through the same thing in my family. Wanted a new car last year to drive our son around it. I have the 2005 4Runner and wanted to add another 4Runner, naturally. We also looked at the pilot and the highlander. After driving both and checking out the third rows (a requirement) here are our conclusions:

Cliff notes.
    We bought the 2015 highlander limited.

The 4Runner to me was dissapointing compared to my v8 4Runner. It lacked low end power and I had to push it more to get to speed.

The interior of the new 4Runner is not nearly as polished as the highlander. Since this was a car for my wife this was important.

Clearly the 4 runner would be a better utility vehicle and for the occasional off road use, but we were looking for more of a family car.

The highlander drives more like a car, handles better, the engine seems smoother, and the interior is fantastic.

Third row seating in the 4Runner is a joke and leaves little room to stow anything in the trunk area. Much of this is due to the different design where the 4Runner is a body on frame and the wheel wells protrude higher into the rear of the cabin.
    There is more trunk space in the highlander with the third row up.

The third row in the highlander is comfortable enough for a couple of 6'4" guys to sit in while touring wine country all day. There is ample leg room.

The option for the mid row captains chairs in the highlander makes it easier to get to the third row. This is not an option in the 4 runner.

Adult males over 6' can comfortable sit in the middle row and third row simultaneously due to the ability to move the mid row captains chairs fore and aft. This is not possible with the 4 runner.

A stroller and a day's worth of belongings for 6 adults and a toddler will fit in the trunk of the highlander with the 3rd row seats deployed. I did not try this with the 4Runner but I have serious doubts. The headrests of the 3rd row seats in the 4Runner are nearly hitting the rear windscreen when deployed.

I went into this purchase attempting to sway m wife into the 4Runner since I have had one and it has been fantastic. The above attributes convinced us both that the highlander was the right option for our fAmily.

Over this past winter I drove the highlander regularly in the snow and ice. It handled fantastically., and even though I slid on some ice and nearly went into the woods the awd was able to pull me out of the mud at speed at the last moment. This is a whole different story.

A baby seat has more space in the mid row of the highlander than the 4Runner. In the 4tunner you need to move the front seat forward slightly for clearance with a Chico brand car seat. There is more space in the highlander for baby seat clearance.

If you want a vehicle that is certainly better off road and are not concerned about as much usable interior space, the 4Runner is clearly better. The money you spend goes towards an undisputedly better and more robust transmission and suspension.

If you want a car that can haul 6 adults, a baby seat, and all the belongings for the day then the highlander is a better option.

In addition the dash interface is nicer and more luxurious in the highlander when compared between both limited trim levels.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    They are not underrated- they are top rated. Likely the best SUV on the market and well known as being that.
    Jeep's 4WD is better, but that is the only thing the 4Runner isn't #1 at.

My inlaws got a 2005 grand Cherokee overland to pull the boat. Same year as my 4Runner.

That thing is junk. Everytjing squeaks and rattles. It has been to the shop a dozen times and "there isn't anything wrong with it."

It has nearly half the miles as the 4Runner, gets driven fairly often and pulls a small boat or jet skis on a trailer about 1/4 mile to the slip a few times a year. Thing feels like pure junk.

I'd never buy a grand Cherokee after having similar experiences with several that friends have owned. They may look nice at first but they don't have the staying power of a true lover like the 4Runner.

Not sure I would rate their 4wd any better or not. Haven't seen a grand Cherokee go anywhere the 4Runner hasn't, but i have seen the 4Runner run when the jeep won't.

Mind you this is a dealer maintained jeep. Not some abused and forgotten vehicle.

My inlaws got a 2005 grand Cherokee overland to pull the boat. Same year as my 4Runner.

That thing is junk. Everytjing squeaks and rattles. It has been to the shop a dozen times and "there isn't anything wrong with it."

It has nearly half the miles as the 4Runner, gets driven fairly often and pulls a small boat or jet skis on a trailer about 1/4 mile to the slip a few times a year. Thing feels like pure junk.

I'd never buy a grand Cherokee after having similar experiences with several that friends have owned. They may look nice at first but they don't have the staying power of a true lover like the 4Runner.

Not sure I would rate their 4wd any better or not. Haven't seen a grand Cherokee go anywhere the 4Runner hasn't, but i have seen the 4Runner run when the jeep won't.

Mind you this is a dealer maintained jeep. Not some abused and forgotten vehicle.

My point was the following...
    Many moons ago, I had a '95 GC 4.0 liter. For a short while, I had an '06 4Runner as a company truck. The 4Runner was by far a better vehicle. The only thing in the Jeep's advantage was the 4WD.
    One step further- I just sold a Jeep Grand Wagoneer. They are not reliable by any stretch of the imagination. However, I would put that truck's 4WD up against anything in snow, mud or sand.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    Glad it got you where you needed to go. I do wish they would make the entire vehicle to the same "trail rated" standards. I've always wanted to like Jeep, but everyone I have been in is a mess.

I'm sure there are some jeep fans here, and that is great. I mean no offense just describing my own experience.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    They are not underrated- they are top rated. Likely the best SUV on the market and well known as being that.

Not if you ask the internet "cool kids".

Buddy had one (MPV) he bought used... that was his hunting/fishing vehicle.. damned thing went places our other vehicles couldn't. Only negative I saw was ground clearance. And yes, he pulled my Chev out a couple of times.

My old 87 4runner with the 22RE was the bomb too.... I miss that truck. If I could have afforded it, would have kept it. But after a head-on collision, that my 3 month old daughter and I survived, I got too nervous carting her around in the "tin can".

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    My 2011 4Runner has the third row seat. I didn't seek out that option, but the one I found for a good price had it. The third row is too small for full-sized adults, but would be fine for kids or small women.

One thing I discovered last weekend for the first time (since I hadn't sat in the back seat before) is that the second row bench seat reclines. I'd never encountered that in a second row before. Maybe that's a standard feature in modern SUVs. In any case, it makes it much more comfortable.

I had a 1990 that I got rid of in 2003 with 270,000 miles on it. I had to replace the bumpers because they rusted. I used aftermarket parts. I also put it on its side once (oops).

I think Toyota ruined the truck when they got rid of the tail gate and made it bigger. I'm not interested in another, but will be picking up a 4-door Tacoma this year.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    My point was the following...
    Many moons ago, I had a '95 GC 4.0 liter. For a short while, I had an '06 4Runner as a company truck. The 4Runner was by far a better vehicle. The only thing in the Jeep's advantage was the 4WD.
    One step further- I just sold a Jeep Grand Wagoneer. They are not reliable by any stretch of the imagination. However, I would put that truck's 4WD up against anything in snow, mud or sand.

Great vehicle. Used to drive a friend's. Hated to feed it though. Ouch as far as mileage. Loved my old Ckerokke Ltd. NOT a Grand Cherokee, you couldn't give me now of those ager seeing what friends have been thru. '
    2 of my old bosses had 4 Runners and they were great.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I had a 1990 that I got rid of in 2003 with 270,000 miles on it. I had to replace the bumpers because they rusted. I used aftermarket parts. I also put it on its side once (oops).

I think Toyota ruined the truck when they got rid of the tail gate and made it bigger. I'm not interested in another, but will be picking up a 4-door Tacoma this year.

Tail gates were great weren't they? Does anyone still offer them? Growing up my mother always drove a big ass station wagon. Couldn't bet them for space. I could load them up to take a family of 6 to the beach for 2 weeks.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Tail gates were great weren't they? Does anyone still offer them? Growing up my mother always drove a big ass station wagon. Couldn't bet them for space. I could load them up to take a family of 6 to the beach for 2 weeks.

Growing up my next door neighbor had one of those and I'd always volunteer to ride in the back, facing out the back window. It was always "exciting" when a big truck or something was behind us. Looking back, that was probably a death trap!

The Gen 5 4Runner has no tailgate, but there are two consolations: the rear window rolls down (pretty cool and it lets you move a long item easier), and the lift gate has a pretty sweet speaker system. If you press the "party mode" button, the speakers project the sound out of the vehicle. It does make the sound project a little more, but more than anything I like pressing a button that says "party mode" on it!:party29:

Sampson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 24, 2013
    White Marsh

They weren't the coolest cars but they could haul a bunch of friends. My parents had a 79 Mercury wagon with wood-grain sides and a 460. I could load it with 8-9 friends and have a blast on a Friday night. Collect $2-3 per person for gas and beer and we were set for a night of fun. And with the tailgate, we always had a seat !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom