• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Growing up my next door neighbor had one of those and I'd always volunteer to ride in the back, facing out the back window. It was always "exciting" when a big truck or something was behind us. Looking back, that was probably a death trap!

The Gen 5 4Runner has no tailgate, but there are two consolations: the rear window rolls down (pretty cool and it lets you move a long item easier), and the lift gate has a pretty sweet speaker system. If you press the "party mode" button, the speakers project the sound out of the vehicle. It does make the sound project a little more, but more than anything I like pressing a button that says "party mode" on it!:party29:

Them there words are blasphemous for what once was a real SUV. Party Mode should never be said in the same breath as a 4Runner. Times are a changing!

Last edited:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Tail gates were great weren't they? Does anyone still offer them? Growing up my mother always drove a big ass station wagon. Couldn't bet them for space. I could load them up to take a family of 6 to the beach for 2 weeks.

I think my wife would buy an older 60's or later station wagon...Ive seen a couple around that look bad a$$ with tinted windows and a hopped up engine.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    In the late 60's my mother had a big Buick LeSabre wagon with a big ass engine. That was one fine car. In the late 80's a friend of mine found one with low mileage and bought it for his beginning painting business. That thing hauled more than any SUV except a Suburban and he put well over 300K miles on it and sold it to someone who drove it for another 2 years. It's a shame wagons fell out of favor, they were way more practical than many of the SUV's and cross overs of today. But who knows, things always have away of coming around again.

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    I've got a 2015 as a rental right now. I was surprised by it. It's a very nice truck, but seems to really lack power, especially on the highway.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    For a short time I sold both Toyotas and later Fords. Between my late wife and I we owned Jeeps, 4Runners, Explorers, and 1 1998 Mazda MPV All-Sport. Of the group the one I liked the best was the Mazda MPV All-Sport. Best all weather vehicle of the lot. Didn't have a ton of power considering it only had a 3.0L V-6 (same engine as the Mazda 929 luxury car) but I routinely pulled Jeep Wranglers out of snowbanks with it. Best 3 full rows of seats of the lot considering Mazda called it a minivan when it was really an SUV. Much taller inside than SUVs. Both AWD and fully locked 4WD modes, auto leveling rear suspension. And even though it was heavier than a V-6 Explorer it got better gas mileage. My brother the pro photographer out west drove 2 of them to nearly 300K miles each and then gave them to his kids who drove them another 6 figures in mileage each. I drove mine 1850 miles to New Mexico in a single 32 hour run in 2011. It was a Car & Driver 10 Best twice in the 90's. I would still be driving it now except I blew a headgasket trying to nurse it home after blowing out a heater hose. Still got me home. Bought another Explorer to replace it but once I can get the engine rebuilt I will sell the Explorer (could not find another MPV locally).

Sig Fan

Feb 15, 2011
    PRMD
    I've got a 2015 as a rental right now. I was surprised by it. It's a very nice truck, but seems to really lack power, especially on the highway.

Its got the power, but the engine/tranny is geared for fuel economy. Step on the gas and it will move -

4th gen 4Runner V6 - 4.0 liter, 236 horsepower, 266 lb-ft torque, MPG 16/20/17 comb
    5th gen 4Runner V6 - 4.0 liter, 270 horsepower, 287 lb-ft torque, MPG 17/22/19 comb

4Runner sales plummeted in 2008-2009, which was most likely a direct result of gas prices. IMHO, Toyota needed to try to squeeze a few mpg out of the engine to attempt to bring up sales numbers.

US sales - (Source: Automakers & ANDC)

2006- 103,830
    2007 - 87.718
    2008 - 47,878
    2009 - 19,675
    2010 (5th gen) - 46,531
    2011 - 44,316
    2012 - 48,755
    2013 - 51,625
    2014 - 76,906
    2015 (ytd) - 29,445

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    Its got the power, but the engine/tranny is geared for fuel economy. Step on the gas and it will move -

4th gen 4Runner V6 - 4.0 liter, 236 horsepower, 266 lb-ft torque, MPG 16/20/17 comb
    5th gen 4Runner V6 - 4.0 liter, 270 horsepower, 287 lb-ft torque, MPG 17/22/19 comb

4Runner sales plummeted in 2008-2009, which was most likely a direct result of gas prices. IMHO, Toyota needed to try to squeeze a few mpg out of the engine to attempt to bring up sales numbers.

US sales - (Source: Automakers & ANDC)

2006- 103,830
    2007 - 87.718
    2008 - 47,878
    2009 - 19,675
    2010 (5th gen) - 46,531
    2011 - 44,316
    2012 - 48,755
    2013 - 51,625
    2014 - 76,906
    2015 (ytd) - 29,445
    I have lol. Even tried the auto manual whatever the hell they call it. Around town it isn't bad, but trying to pass on 95, you need a LOT of space.

It partially that I'm used to driving smaller, quicker cars, and partially that I hate automatic transmissions also. I feel like a v8 would have been a better fit for something that large.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    My 2005 has the v8 and after test driving the newer 4runners I opted against getting one partially for this reason.

I'm sure someone sells a gear kit for the tranny, but that doesn't appeal to me. V8 power does.

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    Well despite the hate on the V6, my wife and I test drove a '15 the other night and we really enjoyed it. I'm a car guy, so I guess my expectations were that it was going to drive more like a truck, so I wasn't disappointed. We're currently working out the numbers, and I think and hope we're going to get our price. If we do, then we may join the club by the end of the weekend.

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    Toyota trucks rust like nothing else. Tube frames rusted so bad they had to buy them back, now the channel frames are doing the same thing. Nice machines, too bad they rust in half.

Sig Fan

Feb 15, 2011
    PRMD
    Well despite the hate on the V6, my wife and I test drove a '15 the other night and we really enjoyed it. I'm a car guy, so I guess my expectations were that it was going to drive more like a truck, so I wasn't disappointed. We're currently working out the numbers, and I think and hope we're going to get our price. If we do, then we may join the club by the end of the weekend.

Nice! Get the JBL premium audio package if you can. I have the base stock radio and IMO it's weak.

Toyota trucks rust like nothing else. Tube frames rusted so bad they had to buy them back, now the channel frames are doing the same thing. Nice machines, too bad they rust in half.

I'm now on my 5th Toyota. Never any problems with rust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom