• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    A cousin in Alaska asked me to build him a .458 SOCOM upper (think bears & such). I didn't have any experience with the cartridge, so I started researching. Pretty amazing: fit a .458, 250-500 grain bullet into an AR-15 platform...kind of like the .300 BLK on steroids. Heft investment in tooling, but the results are pretty impressive. I turned an 18.5" barrel and used the last 2.5" for a custom muzzle brake. There's very little shoulder on the cartridge, and the reamer flutes are large, so cutting the chamber was fairly easy. I reamed the gas hole very small to start, and ended up at 85 thou for reliable cycling without crushing the buffer. The only downside is ammo...commercial ammo is prohibitively expensive, and even just the components for rolling your own are up there (Barnes TSX projectiles are over a buck apiece, but there are cheaper options out there). The lightweight supersonic is impressive...accurate, and earth moving...throws divots like Tiger Woods. Now have to work up subsonic loads with some heavy bullets. If anyone knows a good source for .458 bullets, let me know! (.458 SOCOM with a 5.56 for comparison)

Attachments

• photo (8).JPG
      photo (8).JPG
      67.7 KB · Views: 453

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Bonus here is that you have a standard capacity AR magazine that holds 10 rounds of .458 SOCOM. Same mags, way more boom. Want.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    How much milling work did you have to do to the width of the ejection port to create enough clearance for that fat case to eject properly?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The .458 is on my short list.

I would go the cheap and fun route and open the port up myself.

Next year.

I had a tough time deciding, .458 or .50Beo - then Midway gave me a pretty nice birthday discount, and they had a .50Beo upper in stock - so that pretty much made my decision for me. :D

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    OoooocheeMama that's a good looking round. Just might do some damage.

It's a lot of fun, the big bore AR's are always fun. Somewhat impractical? Possibly, but a lot of fun.

Brad gave me a dummy .50 Beowulf round. Impressive.

I've been leaving one with every IP I visit as well, still need to get one over to Mario at KeepShooting - they've done right by me. :thumbsup:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    It's a lot of fun, the big bore AR's are always fun. Somewhat impractical? Possibly, but a lot of fun. I've been leaving one with every IP I visit as well, still need to get one over to Mario at KeepShooting - they've done right by me. :thumbsup:

Yeah. I fondle it every now and again. I have a lower destined to become a .50 Beowulf. I blame you, Brad. That means I'm going to need a .50 cal suppressor.......

outrider58

Here's looking at you kid
    MDS Supporter
    A cousin in Alaska asked me to build him a .458 SOCOM upper (think bears & such). I didn't have any experience with the cartridge, so I started researching. Pretty amazing: fit a .458, 250-500 grain bullet into an AR-15 platform...kind of like the .300 BLK on steroids. Heft investment in tooling, but the results are pretty impressive. I turned an 18.5" barrel and used the last 2.5" for a custom muzzle brake. There's very little shoulder on the cartridge, and the reamer flutes are large, so cutting the chamber was fairly easy. I reamed the gas hole very small to start, and ended up at 85 thou for reliable cycling without crushing the buffer. The only downside is ammo...commercial ammo is prohibitively expensive, and even just the components for rolling your own are up there (Barnes TSX projectiles are over a buck apiece, but there are cheaper options out there). The lightweight supersonic is impressive...accurate, and earth moving...throws divots like Tiger Woods. Now have to work up subsonic loads with some heavy bullets. If anyone knows a good source for .458 bullets, let me know! (.458 SOCOM with a 5.56 for comparison)

Damn you!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Yeah. I fondle it every now and again. I have a lower destined to become a .50 Beowulf. I blame you, Brad. That means I'm going to need a .50 cal suppressor.......

Should I save those 530gr Steeltips for you then? ;)

SCARCQB gave me a few links for .50 suppressors, one day, one day...

fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    The ejection port does have to be opened up, a little over 100 thousandths. The devil is in the details though: I opened up the bottom of the port, so the ejection port cover could still be used (closed). I was having ejection problems though, so I thought I'd have to open up the top too. Turns out the upper "ear" of the ejection port cover spring was sticking up into the ejection port, causing rounds to hang up. Toughest part of the whole project was opening up the bolt face to accept a .473 rim (the .458 has a rebated rim because there's no way you're getting a magnum bolt face onto an AR-15 bolt). Marauder, thanks for the link to Grafs...I ordered a few different kinds.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I do apologize for the slight derail fa18.

Did learn something new, didn't realize it required that large of a bolt face - figured it used a rebated rim like the .50B (.447), interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom