• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Besides the obvious answer: "2 in each caliber",, trying to make my mind up for a new MD deer gun.

Since I did NOT (edit) get a WY Elk tag, and am not purchasing a bolt gun for out west,,,,,
    Thinking about a 44 mag or 45-70 Henry lever gun.
    Tree stand hunter, most shots are under 80 yards,, but would like to extend out to ~125 yards.

I have been shooting an H&R "compact" 20ga Ultra Slug Hunter for the last 10 years,, no problem with the recoil with 7/8 oz lead slugs at 1600 FPS (muzzle), remeber this is a 22" heavy barreled gun, roughly 7.5 pounds.

I like "Boom-Flop",, not a fan of tracking a perfect shot for 75 yards in the thickets.

For the life of me,, I just can not decide between a 44 mag or 45-70

EDIT - I did NOT get an elk tag

Last edited:

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    For elk I would want the 45-70.

44 is great for east coast but I would want more, to have some comfort room, on an elk. If I didn't read your post right about the elk, then 44 may be the way to go. Cheaper to feed at least, and have more capacity in case you're charged by rabid east coast white tails.

As a lever guy I don't think either (or the 30-30) are bad choices really.

With the new FTX bullets all shoot a bit flatter.

Word of caution that the bores on 44 rifles often are not the same diameter as revolvers so the idea of one round for both doesn't always work out right. IIRC, I had to go to jacketed loads to find one which worked for me in both.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    45-70 for the elk and since it is a straightwalled cartridge use it in MD for whitetails where legal and the 30-30 is not. 44 mag is also great for WT.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    I'd vote .45-70 as well, unless I wanted a new gun then I'd have to go with the 44 magnum as I already own a .45-70 lever gun.
    Good luck on the hunt!

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Dang,, I did not proof read.

I did NOT get an elk tag,, so this is 99% a MD white tail gun,, sorry for the confusion.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Seeing as I could become a "reloader" I could "download the 45-70 to equal a 44 mag ?

I thought re-loading was for old white guys,,, oh,, $hit,, where did time go.
    You can download 45-70 to BP levels by using Lead bullets so the 45-70 does have the kind of versatility that you want.

IMHO, this is a much better gun than the Henry for the same money.

I can get a Henry 44m or 45-70 for around $950 at a Harrisburg gold dealer (Guns Plus)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Ok, then I go back to 30-30.
    More deer have been taken with 30-30s than any other caliber.

This was a very popular statement back in the day. I always argued, more deer were shot and lost after being shot with a 30-30. I don't think there's ever been a stat on that, but if there was, I'd betcha it is true to this day.

Flame on everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom