• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I thnk the neck expander ball on a rifle case is lower than the neck size ring. It sizes the OD on the way down (w/ the ball inside the case already), and it sizes the neck ID w/ the ball on the way up.

Ohh SG, You could press them into your lyman case gauge w/ an Arbor press (or a simple vise.)

Atblis has a good idea too - do they chamber when you drop the slide on them? If its close enough, the slide will drive them home to size. Warning, if you try this and don't want to fire it, they might not come out easily. So don't test this part at home :)
    This is a very good idea. I'm going to try it on a few.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    That's not what I was suggesting. My point was that the case gauge is likely on the tight size, but the rounds might chamber just fine in the gun. IMO, the best way to load 357 Sig is to use the slide and barrel as a gauge and to set the shoulder bump such that the rounds headspace off the shoulder. You can check this by bumping util the the barrel with a case in the chamber will lock into the slide, and you can see a sliver of daylight between the breach face and the case head. Feeler gauges can be used if you want precision. I just do it by sight.

That's not what I was suggesting. My point was that the case gauge is likely on the tight size, but the rounds might chamber just fine in the gun. IMO, the best way to load 357 Sig is to use the slide and barrel as a gauge and to set the shoulder bump such that the rounds headspace off the shoulder. You can check this by bumping util the the barrel with a case in the chamber will lock into the slide, and you can see a sliver of daylight between the breach face and the case head. Feeler gauges can be used if you want precision. I just do it by sight.
    The Lyman gauge is far tighter than the factory barrel, which I no longer have. I am now using a 5.5" ported Bar Sto barrel, which isn't much looser than the case gauge. Of the 122 gauge failed cases, about 3/4 also failed the KKM plunk test. If I still had the factory G31 barrel I would just send them.

Attachments

• 20230803_165912.jpg
      20230803_165912.jpg
      419.7 KB · Views: 23
    Last edited:

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Looking at your pictures, it looks like the case has buckled right below bullet

405242416_7123471797687860_7471819540041176083_n.jpg

This one looks like a grove

View attachment 452149
    I am a reasonably experienced reloader, but not an expert by any means. The pictures don't fully represent what I am looking at in person.
    In the quoted picture above, visualize brass shot from a loose chamber then FL resized, but the brass was "short seated" by about a millimeter. This was due to the die being loose in the toolhead. This, in turn, prevented proper shoulder bump and the shoulder angle isn't correct on the faulty rounds.
    Enlarge the picture in post #38 and you might be able to see what is obvious in person. One fits comfortably in the Lyman gauge; the other is the exact cartridge shown in the failed Lyman gauge picture.

Attachments

• 20240130_212504.jpg
      20240130_212504.jpg
      125.6 KB · Views: 11

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    You can’t resize 357sig with a projectile installed, it won’t enter the neck sizing section of the die.

Pull all the incorrect ones and resize with the 357sig die and decapping pin removed

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I think you got other problems as well. That round on the left side of the akro been looks to have a messed up neck as well.

I just tried the @smdub method of using the Lyman gauge with a vise, and it worked, but I had to coerce the cartridge back out from the bullet side. I then tried on the press and the OAL went from ~1.140 to ~1.120. I tried twice and it happened both times. Those rounds are now in the trash. I am going to proceed with the smdub method for the remaining rounds, using calipers to check every OAL.
    ETA- the failed tolerances were close enough I am sure they would have chambered in a factory Glock barrel without the smdub steps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom