• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shore88

Dec 20, 2020
    Eastern Shore
    Standard milspec buffer tube is fine. Many braces are made for those.
    So I guess what I’m wondering is, to save money, can I have one lower that started out as a pistol and when I want to go deer hunting simply replace the 10.5” upper with a 16” upper, and replace the pistol brace with a rifle butt stock? Then back again as the mood hits me. There doesn’t seem to be a limit to the number of times you can switch back and forth so long as it starts as a pistol. It all seems kind of silly to me. Not your answers, but the law.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So I guess what I’m wondering is, to save money, can I have one lower that started out as a pistol and when I want to go deer hunting simply replace the 10.5” upper with a 16” upper, and replace the pistol brace with a rifle butt stock? Then back again as the mood hits me. There doesn’t seem to be a limit to the number of times you can switch back and forth so long as it starts as a pistol. It all seems kind of silly to me.
    Correct

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    A suppressor is NOT an evil feature.

And again, a suppressor is NOT an evil feature, yes you can use a muzzle break.QD device instead of a flash hider.

Actually, MD defines a flash suppressor as anything that suppresses the flash. So a suppressor would be a flash suppressor, therefore an evil feature.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Exactly
    While there is a minimum OAL for SBRs in Md., that only applies to SBRs made or purchased after 10/1/13.

There was a period after 10/1/13 where BATFE was approving under 29" SBRs.

But then MD stepped in and claimed that the OAL under the Copy Cat portion did apply to SBRs. Even though, in other parts of MD code, SBRs are pistols, and the Copy Cat requirements only apply to semi-auto centerfire RIFLES.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Actually, MD defines a flash suppressor as anything that suppresses the flash. So a suppressor would be a flash suppressor, therefore an evil feature.

MSP has actually had some common sense and said otherwise.

Shore88

Dec 20, 2020
    Eastern Shore
    Having a hard time finding a pistol upper I like. Until I do I’m going to start my lower build. Is a AR pistol considered ‘born’ once the pistol brace is attached to a completed lower? Or do I have to attach a pistol upper as well. I might be splitting hairs here, but just in case I find a 16” rifle barrel first I want to know if I can then change to a butt stock and attach it. Pretty sure I know what the answer is going to be..

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Having a hard time finding a pistol upper I like. Until I do I’m going to start my lower build. Is a AR pistol considered ‘born’ once the pistol brace is attached to a completed lower? Or do I have to attach a pistol upper as well. I might be splitting hairs here, but just in case I find a 16” rifle barrel first I want to know if I can then change to a butt stock and attach it. Pretty sure I know what the answer is going to be..
    Like I said up thread, build the upper from parts. Take your time and get exactly what parts you want for it.

People would help you, should you ask for the help.

Shore88

Dec 20, 2020
    Eastern Shore
    Like I said up thread, build the upper from parts. Take your time and get exactly what parts you want for it.

People would help you, should you ask for the help.
    And again, I do appreciate the offer. Really. I’ve looked at some videos and being very new to the AR world I just don’t know if I’m ready for the upper build just yet. Tools and work space are the main obstacle. The only barrel I’ve ever installed in my lifetime is on an 870 - no tools required. What I am thinking of doing is maybe buying one with no BCG or CH so I can at least customize that part of it. Maybe change the handguard as well. But I’ll look into it some more and make a decision. And don’t worry, if I do decide to build myself I will definitely ask for help. I’ve already learned a great deal from this forum. Thanks again.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    And again, I do appreciate the offer. Really. I’ve looked at some videos and being very new to the AR world I just don’t know if I’m ready for the upper build just yet. Tools and work space are the main obstacle. The only barrel I’ve ever installed in my lifetime is on an 870 - no tools required. What I am thinking of doing is maybe buying one with no BCG or CH so I can at least customize that part of it. Maybe change the handguard as well. But I’ll look into it some more and make a decision. And don’t worry, if I do decide to build myself I will definitely ask for help. I’ve already learned a great deal from this forum. Thanks again.
    A lot of members have all the tools to do it properly. I've built quite a few from just parts, so I know they are what I want. Same thing with me putting complete builds together in front of other members that asked for my help.

This way you are not at the whim of a manufacturer that may have assembled it incorrectly. You are getting known good parts and know they will work properly. Also you build it how you want it to be, not what is on a manufacturer build sheet. Should you go with a complete upper, you'll wind up replacing a lot of the stuff to get it to be what you want.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017

Just buy two of everything before Jan 20th.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    All you really need is a vice, an upper receiver holder device thing ( I have a clamshell one, they make other types), a torque wrench, and an AR armorers wrench. Oh and YouTube/internet.

Shore88

Dec 20, 2020
    Eastern Shore
    All you really need is a vice, an upper receiver holder device thing ( I have a clamshell one, they make other types), a torque wrench, and an AR armorers wrench. Oh and YouTube/internet.
    No vice, no work bench, and the gas block/tube looks confusing. Does the barrel have to be dimpled? But I think I will buy the parts and take my time with it. I’ll be back as questions come up. May take awhile before I assemble the parts. Thanks everyone for all the advice and offers of help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom