• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    BLUF: Silencerco Omega is the suppressor to buy right now.

What is your budget for the can?

I think you have picked a great time to get into suppressors since there are so many great options. It will also make it hard to figure out what to get.

Capitol Armory has a SAS 7" Ti can on sale for less than $700. Surefire has a new 300BLK specific can and they claim 120 db with Hornady 208gr. Cheap Sig Sauer Direct Thread $539 (these are designed by former AAC guy). Thunder Beast Ultra series is out. Griffin Recce 7.

IMHO right now, the Silencer Omega is heads and shoulders above most anything out there for a tactical 300BLK AR or also a 5.56 AR (with a 5.56 end cap). They go on sale around $810.

I have a 9" AAC barreled upper and you have to play games or pin/weld a muzzle device to get to the minimum MD SBR length. Even in hindsight I am happy with the little guy.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Thanks... I guess I'm confused about how NFA rifles square up with MD law. So, even if you file NFA forms for an SBR and pay the tax stamp, the overall length STILL needs to be greater than 29". Otherwise, you're constrained to a pistol build without a stamp?

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    Thanks... I guess I'm confused about how NFA rifles square up with MD law. So, even if you file NFA forms for an SBR and pay the tax stamp, the overall length STILL needs to be greater than 29". Otherwise, you're constrained to a pistol build without a stamp?

Yep

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    You could also do a one stamp suppressed "SBR" by making the suppressor permanent, this one is 16 1/8" OAL with the end cap removed, so you just need the suppressor stamp and barrel is then legal length again. Also likely to help with your OAL for rifle issues.

DSC01676.jpg

DSC01669.jpg

Really does not look vastly different than my 8.5" 300 blk with a 762 SD inside a rifle FF tube, just cost a lot less.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Have a Noveske 9.2 inch barrel with sdn6 300 blk built. It is stupid accurate and with pinned muzzle device makes MD sbr length. Subs are hearing safe and leaves a big grin on your face. Wish I took pics of my groups but could not wipe smile from face first time out. Engage did the build for me.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It's pricey (in my mind) but Tac Sol makes a BLK upper with a sleeve to give it length into which a 30 can goes into. Sort of like the .22 barrel them made first. Keeps things short and avoids the SBR stamp;
    http://www.tacticalsol.com/tsar300/gdw3p4zss04vons8u31ce4n4gb1phn

That may not be legal. According to BATFE NFA Handbook:

The overall length of a firearm is the distance between the muzzle of the barrel and the rearmost portion of the weapon measured on a line parallel to the axis of the bore.

Here:

https://www.atf.gov/file/58251/download

This IS under "Weapons Made From a Rifle" which are less than 26" overall and have a barrel length of less than 16". However, it seems to be the only place that addresses overall length measurements.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    That may not be legal. According to BATFE NFA Handbook:

Here:

https://www.atf.gov/file/58251/download

This IS under "Weapons Made From a Rifle" which are less than 26" overall and have a barrel length of less than 16". However, it seems to be the only place that addresses overall length measurements.

It's perfectly legal in the same way that a 14.5" bbl with a permanently attached muzzle device adding 1.5" is a rifle and not an SBR. The measurement is to the end of the "permanently attached muzzle device," which in this case is the sleeve. From that same ATF handbook:

The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to
    the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device.

Again, the sleeve is "permanently attached" so it becomes in effect a really long muzzle device, into which you can insert a suppressor.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It's perfectly legal in the same way that a 14.5" bbl with a permanently attached muzzle device adding 1.5" is a rifle and not an SBR. The measurement is to the end of the "permanently attached muzzle device," which in this case is the sleeve. From that same ATF handbook:

Again, the sleeve is "permanently attached" so it becomes in effect a really long muzzle device, into which you can insert a suppressor.

A sleeve is NOT attached the barrel. Therefore NOT a muzzle device.

A muzzle device, permanently attached to the barrel does lengthen the barrel.

But DO NOT ask ATF for an opinion. :)

But you do what YOU feel is legal. I, personally, would NOT do this.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    A sleeve is NOT attached the barrel. Therefore NOT a muzzle device.

In this case, yes, it is, and yes, it is.

The TacSol shroud is permanently attached to the barrel. It *IS* a huge permanent muzzle device. You then attach a suppressor inside of it so you can have, effectively, a suppressed rifle without having a huge OAL. TacSol has made products like this for the 10/22 and other rifles for a long time, and now they're making AR uppers in .300BLK with the same principle. In this case it's an 11" barrel with a 5.1" permanently attached shroud, so the total length of the "barrel" (by law) is 16.1". The suppressor has to be at least 6.5" long (to give you enough protrusion beyond the end of the shroud).

A muzzle device, permanently attached to the barrel does lengthen the barrel.

Which, again, is exactly what the TSAR-300 upper uses. 11" barrel with a 5.1" permanently attached shroud, for a 16.1" "barrel" length.

But you do what YOU feel is legal. I, personally, would NOT do this.

That's up to you, but there is nothing about this that is illegal. It is zero different than a 14.5" barrel with a pinned muzzle device to bring it to 16".

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If the shroud is attached to the barrel, I see what you are saying.

But most AR styles, the shroud attaches to the upper receiver, not the barrel.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    If the shroud is attached to the barrel, I see what you are saying.

But most AR styles, the shroud attaches to the upper receiver, not the barrel.

That is very true. On this particular upper, however, TacSol has permanently attached the shroud to the barrel, so legally it is just a very long permanently attached muzzle device. As you mention, you couldn't get away with, say, an 11" barrel underneath a 16" long handguard or something, because it would fail the barrel length test. This upper was built specifically to pass that test.

It's a really clever idea actually - you get the benefits of having a suppressed .300BLK without a big long barrel with a big long suppressor hanging off the end (and incidentally it's the barrel length that the cartridge was designed for in the first place) without dealing with NFA stuff or having to keep it a pistol. If these uppers weren't so expensive, I'd be hard pressed to not buy one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom