• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    After purchasing a handgun in MD, one is required to wait 30 days before being able to purchase a 2nd one. Question: When does the 30 day waiting period start? Date of sale? Date of MSP approval? Date handgun is picked up from FFL? Or what?

Rhino

Dec 6, 2008
    Mount Airy
    From my understanding, and i have no formal legal training, it is from the date the regulated weapon is actually transferred to you (when you physically take it from the FFL). You can start you paperwork on the next one such that the eighth day of your waiting period coincides with the the 30th day from your last transfer.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    From my understanding, and i have no formal legal training, it is from the date the regulated weapon is actually transferred to you (when you physically take it from the FFL). You can start you paperwork on the next one such that the eighth day of your waiting period coincides with the the 30th day from your last transfer.

That's good to know. It means I can get the ball rolling on my HK P30 a week earlier than I thought! :party29:

Jamie

a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    yeah seems to take about 4 months. im into 3 months waiting for mine

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Jamie, get your free designated collector status and screw the waiting period altogether. :)

+1.
    Seems it's taking a longer time than it used to w/ MSP to process Collector Apps. Getting approval and into the MSP system as a designated collector exempts you from the 1 in 30 day transfer of regulated firearms.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV

Question: Do the weekends count as part of the 30-day waiting period? Please advise ASAP. Thanks!

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Maui: I took your answer to say that weekends do count as part of the 30-day waiting period. Thanks.

Evil Twin

Jun 13, 2009
    From what I understand, you can purchase a couple of regulated firearms at the same time if they go in for approval on the same form. You would just have to wait 60 days to purchase any subsequent regulated firearms, assuming you did not yet have designated collector status.

T-Bone

Mar 23, 2009
    Frederick/Germantown area
    From what I understand, you can purchase a couple of regulated firearms at the same time if they go in for approval on the same form. You would just have to wait 60 days to purchase any subsequent regulated firearms, assuming you did not yet have designated collector status.

Evil Twin has it 100% absolutely right. It really pays to just get your collector letter tho. T-Bone

Papi4baby

WWJBD
    May 10, 2009
    California
    Also, the new weapon can be summited 7 days prior to the 30 day wait, since by the time the paperwork comes back and wait time it will be over 30.

And yes, it is the day you pick up the weapon and sing the paperwork.

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    FYI, I picked up a handgun on march 24 2009. after starting a thread here, I decided to check 'yes' on the application where it asked if I purchased a firearm in last 30 days.

started paperwork on next regulated firearm apr 15.. the paperwork came back saying to release the weapon to me on apr25. so you can fill out the paperwork, just dont expect to pick it up/transfer it to you until ~30 days from the last pickup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom