• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    I have a 1958 Winchester 94 that I would like to put a scope on.

(Yeah. I know. But I have my reasons.)
    :)

I know it takes a special mount because of the top eject.

I'm not looking to break the bank. But I'd like a rifle that I can shoot fairly accurately at about 500+ yds or so.

Just looking for suggestions. (Scope and mount)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    That is a pretty good stretch for a 30-30.

Agreed.

300 yards has always been the max I've heard, and that's with specific (Hornady) rounds and the scope to compliment it. For soft-points, I've never thought of going past 200 yards.

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    Yes, there is no way a Model 94 will be of any use at 500 yds. Just buy a decent bolt action and use that. Do not ruin a pre-64 Win for no reason.

If you absolutely must have a Win 94 with a scope mounted on it, I have a 1958 Model 94 in 30-30 I would gladly trade you for the one you have. Mine already had a scope mounted on it when I bought it, and I haven't taken it off yet.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I have an old Winchester which has already been drilled and tapped (not by me). I would be happy to trade it to you with a scope/cash as needed to even out the deal. Would also save you the cost of drilling yours.

PM me if interested.

Not sure about mount needed but sure Weaver made one. I would put a fixed 4 power scope on it, keep it more classic and that would be all I would want/need for a 30-30.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Thanks for the education.

Didn't really know the distance on it. Please forgive the lingering noob in me.
    :sign07:

Guess I'll rethink this.
    :tap:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Seriously , an unaltered pre '64 M94 can be sold for enough to get a ( Savage M110 , whatever ) .

.30-30 levers that have been accurized by 'smiths who specialize in that sort of thing can be surprisingly accurate, but the usual envelope for them is : Fast handling , well balanced , easy to carry w/ one hand at balance point, excellent out to 100yds , 150-200yd in a pinch. A scope is counter productive for most of the factors. For improvement over origional open sights , a Williams or Lyman reciever (aka Peep) sight will maintain the balance and handling charistics, and maintain the period karma. If you just have to have a scope , a Marlin can mount one much closer to boreline than a M94AE .

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Would never sell or trade it. It was a gift from my Dad when I was little.

It's a beautiful rifle. But I don't really use it much. And (obviously) don't know much about it.

I'm looking for something for distance, that uses readily available ammo, that won't be shoved up my ass by Mrs. Safetech because of what I spent on it.

I was thinking that scoping the Winchester would be a way to accomplish that. By thanks to the good people here, I has seen the error of my ways.:spank:

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I just picked up a Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x32 scope for $169 for my Marlin 336 30-30. Just waiting for the base and rings before I mount it. I have a Vortex Crossfire 1.5-4x32 on my Mini-14 that works well for close up shots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom