• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I would like to give 3-gun a try at Thurmont, but do they have an introductory class for new 3-gunners? I shoot IPSC pistol, and had shot some multigun matches put on by a local club 12 years ago, but haven't shot any multigun matches since the rules have been formalized.

cswann

Sep 9, 2010
    Frederick MD
    I would like to give 3-gun a try at Thurmont, but do they have an introductory class for new 3-gunners? I shoot IPSC pistol, and had shot some multigun matches put on by a local club 12 years ago, but haven't shot any multigun matches since the rules have been formalized.

I have spoken through emails with the person that is running the 3 gun matches in Thurmont, Thurmont Conservation and sportsmen club(TCSC). I am a member of this club as it is a private club, but shooting in most matches of the popular shooting disciplines, trap, 3 gun, bench, IPSC ect... I believe are open to the public. He is trying to get another introduction class together and you can get his email off of the clubs web page to ask for updates on this, the more interested...the faster they will get an intro class together I would think.

If I remember correctly, as long as you have experience in other competitive shooting disciplines, you do not need to take the intro class. If you still want an intro into shooting 3 gun though or do not have experience in another discipline, and can't wait for the next 3 gun intro, he suggest to at least watch some matches and to take part in the Fun matches (open to the public) that are held at the York PA. Issac Walton league held every month as an alternative to having to take the clubs intro class to shoot in their 3 gun matches.

I myself haven't shot competitively, so am planning on going to the 3 gun /fun matches held in PA next month...they are held every 3rd or 4th Saturday each month, and I am told they are very "Newby" friendly, family fun (kids shoot) and Safety first and foremost oriented. The FUN matches are geared to learn how to move and shoot safely slowly but accurately and less on speed, to work you up to the more competitive matches which they run as well.

TCSC 3 gun
    http://tcandsc.org/disciplines/3-gun

York PA. Isaac Walton action/fun matches
    http://www.yorkiwla.org/action-shooting.html

BenChem

Jul 6, 2010
    Baltimore
    Hey,

I run the 3 gun at TCSC. If anyone has competitive shooting experience in another action discipline (IPSC/USPSA, IDPA, 2 gun, etc), mil/LE training, or a 3 gun class (PNTC's 3Gun class, etc) they are free to shoot the 3-gun matches.
    Until I get an intro class together, you can shoot the York IWLA monthly fun shoot with Gary Swope and that will suffice as training to get you into TCSC matches.

-Ben

cswann

Sep 9, 2010
    Frederick MD
    Great! Im going to make the Sept Fun match in PA... well be out of town for the august match. Afterwards I hope to watch the ones at TCSC and hopefully be able to participate in one before the match season ends...come by fast.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    Great! Im going to make the Sept Fun match in PA... well be out of town for the august match. Afterwards I hope to watch the ones at TCSC and hopefully be able to participate in one before the match season ends...come by fast.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Gary does a great job with the fun shoot. I hoping to make it this month. It's my home club. redsandman is planning on coming out as well. It's a great way to get your feet wet w/o a full competition environment.

silasvirus82

Dam Builder
    Dec 4, 2014
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Hello friends,
    I'd like to try a match but i don't want to waste anybodys time, are there different levels to compete beginner/intermediate/expert? Should I just show up and shoot at my own pace?
    I'm anxious to give a try but I want to be respectful to those that are competing seriously. What do you think?

also are there any 3gun shoots coming up in our area?

vc

Arlington Rifle and Pistol Club has monthly "3-gun" matches that are fairly informal and beginner friendly. I'd recommend something like that before trying a sponsored match.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    During the period I shot 3-gun I just got the stuff I needed to start and showed up at Peacemaker for a match. I had been shooting USPSA, IDPA, and Steel Challenge for a few years anyway.
    A few things I did before hand was practice everything I needed to do like shotgun loading (watched a lot of Daniel Horner videos on YouTube), made sure I could hit whatever I wanted to out to 300y with my rifle build, and practiced as much or more with the pistol. 3 main skills you need are loading the shotgun, shooting accurately with the rifle, and shooting fast with the pistol. One thing you need to practice is how to dump whatever firearm safely in the appropriate barrels or boxes. (striker fired handguns excepted). You can't re-holster or use a firearm you have already used in a stage. If the next set of targets can be shot with either of 2 firearms and one is the one you currently are using you can keep using it if you choose (advantages and disadvantages come into play so you need to check a stage out carefully before you decide on how you want to game it). Generally paper can be shot with pistol or rifle and steel can be shot with pistol or shotgun (except special shotgun slug targets at 50-75 yards and steel beyond 100y is rifle only). Only shotguns can engage clays (usually, except at cool events like the York 3-man/3-gun).

3-Gun for beginners or experienced shooters - and for a great cause!

For those of you that can get to Southern Maryland, there's a 3-gun shoot at Sanners Lake Sportsman's Club (SLSC) where you don't have to even bring firearms or ammo, they provide it all, and it's for a great cause!

Toys for Tots Fundraiser!
    Help the Marines raise $$ for Toys for Tots, and a great opportunity to shoot three gun without investing in firearms and ammo.

Dates:
    27 Oct 2017, 8:00 AM 5:00 PM (EDT)
    and
    28 Oct 2017, 8:00 AM 5:00 PM (EDT)
    Got to either one, not both. Open to the public.
    $40.00. Yep, that's it.

Find out more here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom