• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    you said you refinished that stock,didnt you apply that shellac? use the same one you used.

if not, then get whatever matches, but i know most people use bulls eye amber shellac.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    you said you refinished that stock,didnt you apply that shellac? use the same one you used.

if not, then get whatever matches, but i know most people use bulls eye amber shellac.

I morphed the thread into "a tale of 2 mosins".
    I have 2, a 1931 Hex Tula and a 1941 round Iz.
    Hex Tula is in a refinished spare stock from AIM
    This is the 41 Iz. It is in a decosmo'd spare stock from AIM.
    So this is the re-arsinaled shellac on it.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Yes, I have amber bulls eye shellac.
    What mix ratio of DNA and Shellac should I use?
    The DNA loosens up the shellac and evaporates unless rubbed all the way off right?

"starting in the middle and working outwards a little to blend it in" won't that pull existing shellac away from scratches? I'd think I'd want to pull shellac into the scratch from the surroundings. Just like I Photoshop smudge my Christmas photos :)

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    Though I haven't shot any of my Mosin's with the bayonet attached...I've heard that with the bayonet attached --- will lower the P.O.I. --- though you might get some queries from the RSO's; as to why you need the bayonet attached.:party29:

Shooting off the bench...I like to shoot my Mosin's with a firm hold.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    Yes, I have amber bulls eye shellac.
    What mix ratio of DNA and Shellac should I use?
    The DNA loosens up the shellac and evaporates unless rubbed all the way off right?

"starting in the middle and working outwards a little to blend it in" won't that pull existing shellac away from scratches? I'd think I'd want to pull shellac into the scratch from the surroundings. Just like I Photoshop smudge my Christmas photos :)

im not sure of the ratio, i havent done it myself, but its commonly recommended fix to touch up shellac.

it doesnt take much though just a little bit to thin it, shellac is already an alcohol based finish.

the shellac hardens as the alcohol evaporates.

as for how ot work it, i suppose you could work it in first to get the area even than work it out, the main thing is just get it to gently blend in around the area as much as possible.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Fingers, cotton rag, brush, sponge brush?
    What do you think I should use to work it in?
    Thx

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    OK,
    I've been doing all of my Mosin shooting with the 41Iz. The more I shoot it, the tighter the groups get. I'm cleaning immediately after I'm done shooting with Windex w/ amonia 2 patches. Solvent 2 patches, then dry patch, then oil patch then leave to go back to work.
    I'm FINALLY noticing the patches coming out cleaner at the end but still not white.

Today just for experimentation, I put on a $8 front mount and an existing Cheap $25 Red Dot. Mount does not alter or damage the rifle. (I did have to grind away at the aluminum mount to make it fit though. I wanted to remove the iron sights from the equation and look at the Rifle itself. Of course, by the 24th round, the front sight mount came loose cause I did not loctite a screw. Once I got it centered, I put 7 rounds onto the pictured target. The one to the right was the last one and the lose mount contributed to it.

Mount:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R7872Y/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Red Dot mount is coming back off. I have a long front post coming in this week so I can get my iron sights adjusted for elevation. The red Dot is interesting but carries no "Experiencing of History" with it.

Attachments

• RedDot1.JPG
      RedDot1.JPG
      30 KB · Views: 94
    • RedDot2.JPG
      RedDot2.JPG
      17.6 KB · Views: 96
    • RedDot3.JPG
      RedDot3.JPG
      42.2 KB · Views: 94

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    OK, I had the Tula 31 Hex out today, still with the fixed sights that are shooting too high. I'm adjusting my sight picture but not very consistently. I know my elevation for my sight picture is giving me trouble because vertically, my groups at 50 yards is 5". Horizontally, it's 2" which is every bit as accurate as the RED DOT was. SO that tells me that once I get a longer sight post, or adjust the rear, I should be much better.
    I ordered today from buymilsurp.com a replacement front sight and rear sight. I ordered this morning and already have USPS shipping # sent to me. I"m going to stash the original front/rear sight and then Cut a thin V grove in the Rear. Then turn the round post in the front to a skinny blade filing from the sides to make an inverted ^ shape in it. This should get me a more precise aim. This idea was given to me by a fellow range shooter.

Like the 41Iz, this 31Hex Tula is getting more accurate every time I shoot it and clean it. I'm still shooting the hollow core Czech training ammo.

I"m about due for a LASIK update to my eyes too :) Last one was in 2001 Now I have a good reason to go and do it.

Attachments

• Tula31Fixed.JPG
      Tula31Fixed.JPG
      13.9 KB · Views: 85

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I heard about marking the stampings on the barrel with a white crayon (Here on MDshooters or Gunboards. Don't recall). Here is a pic of a rush job this morning before heading out. Crayon rubbed across grooves then rubbed off with a plastic knife or fingernail.

Attachments

• Tula31Crayon.jpg
      Tula31Crayon.jpg
      41.6 KB · Views: 60

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    It had a full arsenal refurb before you got it, reblue and everything. Markings are common standard proofs. Still a nice hex Tula example. congrats!

Dag, I had no idea they were reblued, too. But I guess that makes perfect sense. These went to war for 5 years and are generally in amazingly good shape.

The Russians probably spent more refurbishing them then they sold them to importers for. Thanks!!!:party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom