• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    2nd Mosin Hex Tula 1931, 3rd Mosin Iz 1941 Round

Picked this out of a crate. I wanted a Hex Tula. This happened to be counter bored so I'm hoping its a good shooter. I pulled the stock off and put on a spare stock that I refinished for shooting. I'll de-cosmo the stock it came with later.
    I'm wondering what the circle 5 or is it circle S stamp is.
    I need to get more pics but the blue is like near 100% except for a spot under the stock by the receiver and the muzzle where the bayonet goes. How did this stay so clean in service for 10+ years or did Ivan re-blue it when he did the counter bore and put away in cosmo?

Attachments

• IMG_2009.jpg
      IMG_2009.jpg
      31.7 KB · Views: 344
    Last edited:

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    It had a full arsenal refurb before you got it, reblue and everything. Markings are common standard proofs. Still a nice hex Tula example. congrats!

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    Nice strong Tula stamp, many are not as good, no idea about the mark in the circle, there are many Mosin marks we will probably never know the meaning of. IIRC Tula started actual 91/30 production in 1932 so yours is probably an ex-dragoon, does it have a gap under the rear sight base?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I've got her "Crate-Mate" here, same year, similar markings and almost perfect condition (metal wise). I guess the crate proved to be pretty well appointed? Had 7 Hex revievers, 5 of which were Tula (3 Round Tulas also)

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have a bolt closing issue related to the position of the firing pin but I'm working through it and should be ready to shoot soon. I knew this when I picked it out but I'm willing to work it out.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I had an issue with the bolt not wanting to close on a round. I knew this when I picked it out. It closed fine on a Go Gauge.
    Tried cleaning the chamber with a shot gun brush and patch first, but it did not solve this problem. It did make a shell back out easier though. Issue was the ejector was too far inwards. It would hit the flat part on the tip of the ejector to the rim and leave a scar on the round. Once you scared the rim, it would be fine to move bolt.
    I had to adjust the ejector back off some and now it's good to go.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Glad you got it sorted out. As you initially figured, it couldn't be anything too major.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    First Shots today. Saw a new friend at AGC and we talked Mosins a bit while I was there. His Mosin was awesome at 100yds.
    My 31 Tula needs some more rounds through it and some more cleaning. Like my T53, I shot the 48g Czech training rounds first then some regular 148g surplus. I shot at 50yds.
    Pic is of first 1/2hr of shooting. Like my T53, I shot 10 rounds then ran a couple patches of solvent, then dry patch. Did that after the next 20 something rounds again before cease fire. Point of impact moved left in subsequent shots. It's still shooting high though. I'd need a taller post or modify my aim to get it centered. I'm going to keep shooting it some more before I do anything. Likely, I'd start shooting my 2nd 91/30 anyway.
    Again, this is not the original stock from the Mosin, Its an AIM spare stock purchase that was repaired and refinished by me.
    I hope to get it out to AGC again next week.

Attachments

• Tula31FirstShot.jpg
      Tula31FirstShot.jpg
      45.4 KB · Views: 225
    • IMG_2091.jpg
      IMG_2091.jpg
      71.6 KB · Views: 224
    • Tula31FirstPaper.JPG
      Tula31FirstPaper.JPG
      14.1 KB · Views: 222

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    They will tend to shoot a bit high because they were designed to reach out and touch someone before they got right into your face.

There are lots of things that you can do, but one of the cheapest is to take a little bit of shrink tubing and small scissors out to the range with you. Shrink on a piece that's a little longer than the front sight post, then shoot and trim until you have an extended front sight of the right height. I've also heard people suggest dong the same thing, but with a piece of stripped wire insulation.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Great idea, I'll try that. Simple and does not modify the original.
    It will also give me the chance to put a smaller point on the tip.

Ironnewt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2012
    Harford County
    They will tend to shoot a bit high because they were designed to reach out and touch someone before they got right into your face.

There are lots of things that you can do, but one of the cheapest is to take a little bit of shrink tubing and small scissors out to the range with you. Shrink on a piece that's a little longer than the front sight post, then shoot and trim until you have an extended front sight of the right height. I've also heard people suggest dong the same thing, but with a piece of stripped wire insulation.

I can attest to this working

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Sure made a difference and I have some more tweeking to do.
    Only 30 mins before having to go into work this morning I shrink tubed the post extension.
    I numbered the first 4 shots.
    I"ll admit I was jerking the shots some but I circled the approximate center of where the last 8 shots were grouping. I'll adjust the windage next time I'm out.
    I'm still shooting the Czech low weight stuff:

Attachments

• 3rdPaperSightAdj.JPG
      3rdPaperSightAdj.JPG
      38.8 KB · Views: 202

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    OK, I have my 31Hex set up better now following smith-sights floating barrel method and have just adjusted my sight picture so I'm not shooting so high.
    Here are pics of Mosin #2. An Iz 1941 Round.
    50yds. Czech Training rounds. 10 rounds per Mosin
    Top target is Round Iz1941 and bottom is TulaHex 1931.
    Pictured is the Iz 1941 on the table.
    Heated to remove Cosmo from stock, Metal was cleaned with mineral spirits and bore scrubbed. Also shimmed up the reciever following Smith-sights method and that's it.

Both could stand an adjustment on the front sight. I have the tool. I just have not done it.

Freezing temps out there today.
    I'm next going to shoot 100yds with it as is.

I'd like to do something about those scratches on the stock w/o a refinish job. But maybe not. I guess bees wax is the thing on standard Mosin Stocks?

Attachments

• Hex31vsIz41.JPG
      Hex31vsIz41.JPG
      48.3 KB · Views: 181
    • IMG_2096.jpg
      IMG_2096.jpg
      78.6 KB · Views: 181

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Here is the 1941Iz at 100yds today.
    Sighting is not so easy at 100yds on these sights.

I realize now how I got the scratches on the stock under the bolt. It was me and my fingernails hitting the stock while closing the bolt. I need to adjust the extractor on this one to make it easier like I did the 31 Hex. Unfortunatly, the stock is pretty scratched up. Good thing I'm using one of the spare stocks from AIM. I tagged the original stocks so I know which gun they cam with. I'll continue to use this stock for shooting though until I get tired of it and swap the original one back on when I want to put it away for a while.

Attachments

• Iz41at100yds.JPG
      Iz41at100yds.JPG
      42.4 KB · Views: 167
    • IMG_0852.jpg
      IMG_0852.jpg
      125.6 KB · Views: 160

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    those must be some fingernails, lol.

you should be able to fix it by mixing some shellac with denatured alcohol and scrubbing it in, starting in the middle and working outwards a little to blend it in.

the DNA will dissolve the old shellac so the new can blend in rather than just coat on top.

this is also why shellac isnt a good rifle finish, it is original, its what the soviets used, but they didnt care about looks, and shellac is easy to chip and scratch.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I dunno if it's the fingernail that had a split in it but I looked at a pic I took yesterday and the scratches were not there when I started shooting. The front finish was flaking when putting the bands back on.

Sounds like its worth a try. I have some bulls eye brand shellac but its clear/golden. Do I use that or do something to add some color to it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom