• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    I am wondering what the ramifications are for MOM's new bill allowing DL for illegal/undocumented aliens. First, how do they get a license if they have no documentation? A DL is a form of official ID-so how do they prove who they are? What would keep someone like a criminal from going to the DMV, getting a false DL then using that ID with no criminal record attached to purchase or obtain regulated firearms?

Will this bill allow illegal aliens to purchase regulated firearms in MD? Can they now?

How does having a DL ensure that the person is insured, or that their car is registered?

Maybe these are dumb questions, but I don't know the answer.

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Insurance has nothing to do with a driver's license nor registering a car. I remember having to take my birth certificate and Social security card to the MVA to get my license.

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    I am wondering what the ramifications are for MOM's new bill allowing DL for illegal/undocumented aliens. First, how do they get a license if they have no documentation? A DL is a form of official ID-so how do they prove who they are? What would keep someone like a criminal from going to the DMV, getting a false DL then using that ID with no criminal record attached to purchase or obtain regulated firearms?

Will this bill allow illegal aliens to purchase regulated firearms in MD? Can they now?

How does having a DL ensure that the person is insured, or that their car is registered?

I guess when they run their info through the NICS system it should flag them as illegal alien. so I assume they would not get approved.

if you have a drivers license doesn't mean you have to own a car. you only have to have insurance if the car is tagged on the road. the DL is suppose to give you the privilege to drive on the road. but we use the DL for more than just showing proof of being able to drive.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Insurance has nothing to do with a driver's license nor registering a car. I remember having to take my birth certificate and Social security card to the MVA to get my license.
    This - when I decided to become a MD resident in 1993 after I got married and had some "fun" with the MD Comptrollers office with my taxes from the previous year (I was military and still a resident of Nebraska) I went in with a photocopy of my birth certificate and got turned away from the counter after having stood there in line for an hour or so. Apparently the photocopy wasn't good enough - they wanted both my real birth certificate, and my Social Security card.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.

Curious.... when a 16 or 17 year old gets his/her license doesn't the parents automatically go up even if they're not driving a car???? I heard this but have no idea if it's true.

Dizzy

Jul 21, 2008
    MD
    The bill proposes a 2 track system. To apply for a license, applicants must show proof of identification such as a passport or a birth certificate and provide two years of state income tax filings to prove residency. They would also have to pass a written test and a driving exam as well as get proof of auto insurance.

These licenses will be stamped "Not Legal for Federal Use" across the top of the license. They are only good for driving and is not a form of ID for boarding planes or even purchasing firearms.

RAF

MDS Supporter
    Dec 24, 2012
    When I went with my son, the woman hassled me about his birth certificate. Said it wasn't the 'proper' one with the raised seal, that I needed to buy the right one from the state, blah, blah, blah.

I replied that it's the one given to me by the state, that's the one I've used for 16 years so far...and this state isn't getting any more money out of me than needed.

This went on for a few minutes until I spun around in the chair & pointed my finger around the room. "If I was one of those non English speaking illegals in here with those translators, would I be getting hassled like this ?" She shut right up & finished getting the license.

Xander

Dec 6, 2010
    The Mexican embassy (among others) offers illegals a matricula consular, which is basically a Mexican federal ID for illegals. They can also get a passport at the embassy, or get the ID that they have authenticated. Casa de Maryland has also been giving out ID cards that people have apparently been using to collect benefits in Mongomery Co. Google it.

Also of note, Casa's head, Gustavo Torres (a former Sandanista, it appears) is on the Marylanders to Prevent Gun Violence board. One of his biggest agenda items has been getting DL's for illegals.

Grampa G

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2010
    Washington Co.
    These licenses will be stamped "Not Legal for Federal Use" across the top of the license. They are only good for driving and is not a form of ID for boarding planes or even purchasing firearms.

There was an amendment rejected that would have prevented their DL as ID for purchasing firearms. Another one rejected was having illegals fingerprinted to see if they were wanted or "frequent flyers"

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    Let me see if I have this right

1) An Illegal alien can use a passport from his home country (without a visa, I presume), or some other vague type of ID to get a MD DL, even though MD cannot confirm whether the ID is legit or not? (I am assuming few illegals actually have a passport)?

2) An Illegal can then use this new MD DL to purchase a firearm?

3) No fingerprinting, so I assume there will be no way to conduct an effective background checks to see if the illegal has a record or disqualifying history here or in their home country?

yea- its all about the children....

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Yeah well our board sympathizers claim their only trying to help themselves and get away from the drug corruption...... to them tough shit, they need to fix their own problems. :sad20:

When I'm King I WILL mine the border and treat these CRIMINALS like they treated the jarhead that they nailed at the border a few months ago. The jar served his country well, the criminals and their sympathizers haven't done shit.

Dizzy

Jul 21, 2008
    MD
    There was an amendment rejected that would have prevented their DL as ID for purchasing firearms. Another one rejected was having illegals fingerprinted to see if they were wanted or "frequent flyers"

These second tier licenses can't be used for Federal ID purposes or it would violate the Real ID Act. From what I've read, you can not purchase a firearm with this License. Did ppl forget the question on Citizenship on Form 4473?

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    NICS doesn't check if you are legally able to buy a gun, or whether they have any records saying you shouldn't, correct?

It is not like they have a database with every eligible US citizen in it to compare names.

YET!

Paladin

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Feb 23, 2011
    These second tier licenses can't be used for Federal ID purposes or it would violate the Real ID Act. From what I've read, you can not purchase a firearm with this License. Did ppl forget the question on Citizenship on Form 4473?

And of course having broken the law by being in this country illegally hey would not DARE to lie on the 4473!

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011

http://youtu.be/yfpPyL8A0lM

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom