• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Air in the baffles.
    Bear with me, I am a silencer newbie, tho' I've looked at a bunch of Youtube vids. Wish I had machining skills.
    The baffles are open to the atmosphere? If so, in the time frame of the this previous video, the air must return to the baffles, otherwise the can would be pressurized. No?

carpecervisi

Feb 10, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    I am too, but the reasoning is prior to firing your first shot, there is air in the suppressor and the O2 ignites, causing the pop. The subsequent follow up shots have the expelled gas in the suppressor which either isn't flammable or is at a higher pressure. So, no pop.

If you wait long enough the gas/air ratio changes to less favorable conditions and then you're back to the FRP scenario.

You technical experts can fix all the errors I made above. :)

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I am too, but the reasoning is prior to firing your first shot, there is air in the suppressor and the O2 ignites, causing the pop. The subsequent follow up shots have the expelled gas in the suppressor which either isn't flammable or is at a higher pressure. So, no pop.

If you wait long enough the gas/air ratio changes to less favorable conditions and then you're back to the FRP scenario.

You technical experts can fix all the errors I made above. :)

:thumbsup:

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    They're open in the sense that air can enter from the front and rear of the can. The rest of the can is sealed. I'm no scientist but it's a difference in pressure when a can is cold compared to when the pressure is raised after the first shot.

When the can hasn't been fired is full of cooler air. Someone smarter will be along to correct me.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Well first you gotta take it out for a nice dinner, maybe buy it some flowers. Then as long as things are progressing smoothly, you start talking dirty to it, suggest you two go back to your place so you can introduce it to your gun.

LOLz!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Well first you gotta take it out for a nice dinner, maybe buy it some flowers. Then as long as things are progressing smoothly, you start talking dirty to it, suggest you two go back to your place so you can introduce it to your gun.

You just can't stick it in?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Just bought a Spectre II. It was almost $100 less than the SS Sparrow. I think it's one of the best deals out there.

Good Luck!
    Jim Smith

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Got the itch huh?
    Idk if I could wait that long to scratch it after plunking down the cash :(

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    WOW...what a BAD idea to use a .556 can on a .22lr!!!

A BUNCH of good reasons not to do it. NOW....If I could only remember, who recommended that to me, I would go and KICK them in the balls. :-).

Sounded good

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom