• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I have a Ruger MkIII 22/45 target. Great pistol. I did swap in a Volquartsen trigger and removed the stupid plastic LCI with a metal cover. It’s been a great gun.

Recently got a MKIV Tactical. That gun is just cool to me. It will be getting a trigger upgrade as well.

I don’t usually mess with triggers but on .22s I seem to.

As stated above by another poster and bottom line, I would with a MKIV or MKIV 22/45 depending on what grip angle you like better. Get a target/bull barrel in whatever version floats your boat.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The Glock 44 is stupid reliable. I bought one for students who have never shot before and it does the job week after week.

goldcup1911

MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2011
    I may want to buy in the near future a .22 LR semi-auto , just wondering what brand and if i should get it threaded even if i may never get a can for it. I seen Glocks in the 450.00 range give or take
    Which brand is most reliable ?
    I have had good luck with standard Taurus TX-22. The are relatively inexpensive. They feel good in the hand. They are available with or without manual safety and with or without a threaded barrel. No malfunctions as of yet.
    Good Luck !!!

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Which of those would be best candidate for a can if Welder decides to go that way?

I have all three...all are great but the Smith M41 is the most accurate .22 I own but it's also optimized for target work. The Woodsman ( and the others) can make your eyes water with the asking prices for really pristine examples but has less expensive versions such as the Targetsman, Huntsman and Challenger. Essentially the same gun but a less polished finish and maybe fixed sights rather than adjustable. The same goes for the Hi Standards...they built some extraordinary pistols.

An issue with both the Colt and Hi Standards is availability of parts should an be needed. They can be sourced but it might take a bit of searching. Wolff Springs still makes spring kits for all.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    If you're not looking for new...there are lots of fine Hi Standards, S&W Model 41 and Colt Woodsman pistols out there looking for good homes. All are fine and worthy pistols.
    Yep High Standards Trophy / Victor, Smith M41...and done...old Colt Ace is also good.
    If I were to put a "can" on a 22 semi, it wouldn't be one of those...another type / make, but hey thats just me

-Rock

Last edited:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Wife has 22/45 Lite threaded. Fun supressed.
    Wish it was the new version cause the older one is a beyatch to clean as mentioned.
    Buckmark I have is heavy but accurate and My first cleaning was over 1000 rounds and it never skipped a beat.
    That Beretta Neos should be banned by all gun shops who have integrity. Dad had one and it was a crappy if you did not keep it squeaky clean. Firing pin would crap up fast then became dud o matic.
    Dad will'd me his Ruger SR22 and I hope to shoot it this weekend. Have had it for 4 months now.

I have a Glock 22 conversion slide. (American Tactical?).
    It likes certain ammo and they document that
    Its nice cause other than recoil, it still feels like the glock 17.
    I had a new shooter (friend of son) who I started on that 22 conversion and burnt off about 200 rounds hitting 12" torso @ 25 yards, then went to the G17. After several sessions shooting steel at 25, He said the Academy range was really easy. He passed the Police Academy shooting tests with flying colors.

I'm sure what ever you choose will be fun.

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    My wife has the Ruger MkIV 22/45 lite w/ threaded barrel that she really likes because of the light weight and that it comes in different colors.

I got the Ruger MkIV Target model (bull barrel) with threaded barrel that I like shooting with my Dead Air Mask suppressor.

So far, I've only shoot CCI SV and mini-mag (both hp and solids) and it has been reliable with all three.

Forgot to add, that with my suppressor, my Mk IV Target even cycled when using CCI subsonic ammo without issue

Ok, had to add another edit. The Ruger Mk IV are also ambidextrous for us left handed shooters. Which is important to a southpaw such as myself.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Dang ! And nobody asked the basic question(s) :

1. Are you looking for a .22lr pistol that is delibertly an " Understudy " for a centerfire pistol ? i.e. same size as operation as a centerfire ? A particular one to copy , or just in general ?

Example - My Colt branded 1911 . Same size , even accepts sights , fire controls , etc of real 1911 .

Or a " freestanding " .22lr dedicated design .

2. How accurate is accurate ? Sporting / field grade , good for soda cans and squirrels at interesting distances ?

Or good enough for Camp Perry / Olympics ?

Boats exposed the Ruger's lack of clothes . Sure , it has a bazillion aftermarket parts & accessories , but out of the box ?

Annecdote - Down visiting the late Shooting & Handloading Partner #1 , .22lr autoloaders was a topic , so we stepped out the kitchen door to his private range . His Ruger .22/45 vs my S&W M622 , both stock .

Guess which one had much better trigger , better sights , better balance , and shot 1/3 smaller groups ? Yup , the S&W . ( Yes , if you come across a S&W M422/ 622 , or M2206/ 2204 , they are very good , underappreciated pistols .)

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    22/45 Lite threaded mark iV is the way!!!!!
    This!

IMG_2101.jpeg

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I have a Browning Buckmark that is an absolute tack driver, but a pain to clean.
    I have a Ruger Mk IV .22/45 Tactical I bought to shoot suppressed. I have zero complaints about that.
    There is a good deal on a Walther P22 in the classifieds rightnow.
    The P22 I had was a piece of garbage.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I shoot about 300 rounds per range session of 22 and I’ve yet to have a single malfunction in my TX22 with various types of ammo.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    My P22 is a winner too. Shoots and shoots and shoots. Never a single problem and isn't particularly picky about ammo.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Yeah I have a .22 Beretta and it is crap. Forget what model but it fits in palm of hand (small)
    One of the reasons I ask so I don’t waste money.
    Is it that teeny double action Beretta like the one on the right?

It gave me fits with the Remington Thunderbolts. Jammed at least once ever magazine full. Meanwhile, my Jennings J-22 was eating them left and right for three magazines-full, then it would jam. If I took it apart and brushed out the crud it would would work again. I don't shoot it anymore -- just enough in the past to ensure it would work. Cute gun, and mine's very reliable when it's clean.

The Ruger .22LR not only is the BEST .22LR for the money, in my view, but the BEST gun for the money.

Getting back to the Beretta, my jamming issues vanished with decent ammo like the CCI and other good stuff.

One Beretta that I really love is the 70S .22LR (they make it in .380, too). I sent it off to Mahovsky's to have it hard chromed. About a week later, Mr. Mahovsky called me for no other reason than to say how much he liked my gun and how well it had turned out. One reason I sent it off was that there was a spot of corrosion on the left side of the gun. It wasn't rust, but nothing I tried would get rid of it! I used a thin piece of leather and tried rubbing it with a couple of drops of BreakFree. Still, the brown spot persisted. A few other 70S owners told me they had the same issues, and no one knew why. Still, the gun was a damn good gun.

The hard chroming is beautiful and durable. When I took it to the range to test it, several people who were familiar with the 70S asked me about it, saying they didn't know it was made in stainless steel. The gun shoots without issue even with cheap brands of ammo. It's too bad they're so expensive. Many guns are. A thousand dollars for many guns is just astounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom