• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I may want to buy in the near future a .22 LR semi-auto , just wondering what brand and if i should get it threaded even if i may never get a can for it. I seen Glocks in the 450.00 range give or take
    Which brand is most reliable ?

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    If I ever get another .22 handgun, it will be a Ruger in all likelihood. I had a Buckmark and hated it so I'm in no rush to hop into that market again.

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    I may want to buy in the near future a .22 LR semi-auto , just wondering what brand and if i should get it threaded even if i may never get a can for it. I seen Glocks in the 450.00 range give or take
    Which brand is most reliable ?
    My Taurus tx22 competition has been flawless and works great with a whisper pickle. I'm in Bel Air and you're welcome to shoot the heck out of it. I have a holosun 507 on it. Also added mag extensions for total capacity of 23 rounds and I can get through a whole stage of a steel match without reloading

Last edited:

Parry

Nov 22, 2020
    On my way out of Maryland
    I’ve had experience with the following:

S&W 22 compact
    Ruger Mark IV tactical 22/45
    Ruger Mark IV lite
    Ruger Mark III

My preference are the ones that are easiest to clean and maintain because 22lr tend to shoot a bit dirty.

Of those four, my favorite is the Ruger Mark IV tactical 22/45.

Reasons:
    The new IV design makes it easier to clean, even easier than a typical Glock.
    Aftermarket options are endless
    22/45 frame and grip
    Quality feel
    Threaded barrel
    Reliability based on personal experience
    Ruger Mark series are accurate
    Can mount a red dot optic on the top rail or you can remove the rail and install in on a plate (options!)- I like mine with a Holosun 507c-green (dot and circle reticle)
    Has an accessory rail for a light or laser
    Doesn’t have that swiss cheese look like the Lite

I’m looking for my second as a backup because I like it so much.

For 22lr (non pistols), I like Ruger 10/22 stainless barrel. I’m thinking about adding a “takedown” version.

Last edited:

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    If I ever get another .22 handgun, it will be a Ruger in all likelihood. I had a Buckmark and hated it so I'm in no rush to hop into that market again.
    Yeah I have a .22 Beretta and it is crap. Forget what model but it fits in palm of hand (small)
    One of the reasons I ask so I don’t waste money.

I have a Browning Buckmark that is an absolute tack driver, but a pain to clean.
    I have a Ruger Mk IV .22/45 Tactical I bought to shoot suppressed. I have zero complaints about that.
    There is a good deal on a Walther P22 in the classifieds rightnow.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    I’ve had experience with the following:

S&W 22 compact
    Ruger Mark IV tactical 22/45
    Ruger Mark IV lite
    Ruger Mark III

My preference is the ones that are easiest to clean and maintain because 22lr tend to shoot a bit dirty.

Of those three, my favorite is the Ruger Mark IV tactical 22/45.

Reasons:
    The new IV design makes it easier to clean, even easier than a typical Glock.
    Aftermarket options are endless
    22/45 frame and grip
    Quality feel
    Threaded barrel
    Reliability based on personal experience
    Ruger Mark series are accurate
    Can mount a red dot optic on the top rail or you can remove the rail and install in on a plate (options!)
    Has an accessory rail for a light or laser

I’m looking for my second as a backup I like it so much.

For 22lr (non pistols), I like Ruger 10/22 stainless barrel. I’m thinking about adding a “takedown” version.
    Ruger makes good products (fairly inexpensive, reliable, and easy to modify) and for the most part has good customer service. I'd go with them. They are accurate, easy to strip and clean (even the models prior to MkIV aren't a disaster), and AFTER MARKET options are plentiful.
    Hope you find something you like. BTW, try to handle them BEFORE you purchase. The way they feel in your hand can make a huge difference and looking online isn't the same!

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I have experience with Sig p322, Ruger mk2-4, 1911 conversion kits, Sig p226 conversion kits, Beretta Neos, Smith model 41, Smith model SW22, Glock conversion kits, Ruger single-six, SW 617, Browning Buck Mark (old and new) and probably a few others im forgetting.

Go with Ruger mk4

Second choice: SW 617

Third choice: Sig p322

Out of the box the Smith is hands down the winner. Great trigger, same capacity as the Ruger, great build quality, double single action both of which are sweet as apple pie. The benchmark or reliability (with the possible exception of the single six)

The p322 has capacity on its side. Hangs on low power rounds sometimes, light hammer which can provoke misfires

Ruger has both the reliability and aftermarket on its side. I wouldn't call an out of the box Ruger anything great. But with enough money it can be made good. (trigger, magazine safety, ergonomics, sights, 2000-ish rounds of break in ammo, etc, etc). Expect to sell your soul to Volquartsen.

Don't waste your time with conversion kits. Or the Glock .22. They are shite.

Smith model 41 are gorgeous and drool worthy, and also have issues with reliability esp with the sear spring.

Smith SW22 are grossly inaccurate and cumbersome to shoot

Beretta Neos is ugly, bulky, ergos are crap.

Ruger single six are absolutely reliable, but they are a six shot cowboy gun. Nice at the range, love me a hogleg, but for practical purposes, useless. (.22 mag and .22 quiet notwithstanding)

The Glocks (model 40? 41? dunno or care) are just bad.

I will say I compete in open class casual steel shoots with a p322 and a 10/22. Mostly because doing it with a reliability tuned mk3 got boring.

Last edited:

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I've had a Ruger MKII for 40 years. I love it, very accurate.
    I just recently bought a Ruger MKIV Tactical with the barrel already threaded for my suppressor that
    I should be able to pick up in the next couple months. Only shot it once so far but I think it'll be great.
    And its 1000 times easier to disassemble and reassemble for cleaning than the MKII.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I have the Sig P322 and last time I was at the range someone there had the Taurus TX22. We switched and shot. I think I like the TX22 a little bit more.

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    I have a Browning Buckmark that is an absolute tack driver, but a pain to clean.
    I have a Ruger Mk IV .22/45 Tactical I bought to shoot suppressed. I have zero complaints about that.
    There is a good deal on a Walther P22 in the classifieds rightnow.
    My p22 would blow casings apart and shoot brass in your face. Sent it to Walther twice and they couldn't fix it. Traded it in on the Taurus tx22 competition and never looked back

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    This is my Ruger Mk IV 22/45 lite. It’s accurate as all get out, and extremely reliable. I have the Volquartzen trigger in it, and Hogue grips. Definitely get a threaded barrel. A suppressor is stupid fun! That being said, I really like the Sig 322, and the ability to hold 20 rounds
    IMG_3397.jpeg

Last edited:

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Ruger Mark IV target (bull barrel) model.
    You can get it in a threaded version.
    I’ve owned one (mark II) for almost 40 years.
    Solid, solid gun.

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    I've been really happy with my Ruger Mark iiii , that is when I can get it out of my wife's hands.
    I also have the LCP II in 22lr and it has never missed a beat with any brand ammo. It make a nice little boot gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom