• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I have had good luck with standard Taurus TX-22. The are relatively inexpensive. They feel good in the hand. They are available with or without manual safety and with or without a threaded barrel. No malfunctions as of yet.
    Good Luck !!!
    I got one of these recently and I’ve really enjoyed it. Has run like a top, it fits the hand well, and I honestly like the trigger as well. I have a 22/45 I love as well and they feel very different, but I love them both

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    If you are into collector guns, maybe think about a Colt Woodsman or the less expensive Challenger and Huntsman. These guns are excellent shooters, especially the Woodsman Match guns. They are built for the 22 LR, not so bulky like the Ruger semi-autos.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Is it that teeny double action Beretta like the one on the right?

It gave me fits with the Remington Thunderbolts. Jammed at least once ever magazine full. Meanwhile, my Jennings J-22 was eating them left and right for three magazines-full, then it would jam. If I took it apart and brushed out the crud it would would work again. I don't shoot it anymore -- just enough in the past to ensure it would work. Cute gun, and mine's very reliable when it's clean.

The Ruger .22LR not only is the BEST .22LR for the money, in my view, but the BEST gun for the money.

Getting back to the Beretta, my jamming issues vanished with decent ammo like the CCI and other good stuff.

One Beretta that I really love is the 70S .22LR (they make it in .380, too). I sent it off to Mahovsky's to have it hard chromed. About a week later, Mr. Mahovsky called me for no other reason than to say how much he liked my gun and how well it had turned out. One reason I sent it off was that there was a spot of corrosion on the left side of the gun. It wasn't rust, but nothing I tried would get rid of it! I used a thin piece of leather and tried rubbing it with a couple of drops of BreakFree. Still, the brown spot persisted. A few other 70S owners told me they had the same issues, and no one knew why. Still, the gun was a damn good gun.

The hard chroming is beautiful and durable. When I took it to the range to test it, several people who were familiar with the 70S asked me about it, saying they didn't know it was made in stainless steel. The gun shoots without issue even with cheap brands of ammo. It's too bad they're so expensive. Many guns are. A thousand dollars for many guns is just astounding.

That 70S is damn sexy.

I also have a Beretta 21a Inox. It runs reliably with mini mags and decent standard velocity rounds like Blazer, Wolf and CCI. Auto match ran fine as well. The worst was Federal Punch which is funny since that is a “premium defensive round”. I couldn’t go a magazine without multiple failures. If for some reason I were to ever carry it, I’d just go with mini mags.

I love Berettas in general and just had to have it. It’s such a unique firearm but I wouldn’t choose it as a first choice for defense or target shooting.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I love Berettas in general and just had to have it. It’s such a unique firearm but I wouldn’t choose it as a first choice for defense or target shooting.
    Oh, they're not bad. If you take a gun like the Raven .25ACP and have it drilled and tapped to take a 4x scope, have the barrel extended to take a muzzle break recoil compensator, buy a set of Hogue grips with a cut-away and extended safety, a 50-shot drum magazine and a professional combat trigger job, it can be used for both hunting and defense, especially with a break-away for rapid scope removal. You may also want to go with a titanium-reinforced firing pin buffer system for more efficient primer ignition.

I think you can get a kit for $685 (less combat trigger job) plus tax and shipping. The gun itself can be bought used for $80 used. The top of the gun can be cut flat for the scope and extended iron sights. This will require, of course, that the slide be stripped and re-finished ($228). There are a number of innovative holster options. A full-auto kit also may be ordered separately ($380).

Last edited:

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    These are the two pistols that I have competed with successfully and they shoot wonderful.
    The Smith and Wesson Victory pistol could very well be just for you. I find them much more than accurate enough for the money. Get the one with the short threaded barrel with the screw on cap. A little dab of locktite to keep the upper assembly together, (vibration proof).
    The Ruger MK IV pistol is another good choice.
    Of the two the Smith and Wesson Victory was less finicky on what went through it. The MK IV wasn't far behind so I can say they were fed a diet of CCI Standard Velocity.

Last edited:

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I will say this, I haven’t had a single problem or malfunction, with my mk IV. I honestly don’t think you could find a better .22 pistol. I just mounted a Holosun 507c on it, and took off the metal sights. So cool

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I've had a Ruger MKII for 40 years. I love it, very accurate.
    I just recently bought a Ruger MKIV Tactical with the barrel already threaded for my suppressor that
    I should be able to pick up in the next couple months. Only shot it once so far but I think it'll be great.
    And its 1000 times easier to disassemble and reassemble for cleaning than the MKII.
    In the past I have had to watch a YouTube video to get my MkII back together after cleaning.

It's too bad MKII and MKIV mags aren't interchangeable.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I wouldn’t count out the 1911 22 Conversions just yet. But they are conversions.

15 - 17 pound mainspring, higher shelf mag catch, use CCI Mini Mags. I have a Ceiner unit I worn out, can’t say how many rounds. I had it running on Standard Velocity ammunition (warm weather only)

Bought a second Ceiner then a Marvel..have both. Both units have dedicated mainspring housings so the mainspring swap would be a snap (The Ceiner is on a dedicated for 22 ratty out-of-spec Essex frame). Polish then keep the rails at least damp for 200-300 rounds. The aluminum slide is soft so gummy residue will choke it. The key is matching slide velocity with mag spring force.

I use less costly Federal Auto Match for practice. It warm weather its okay. In cool weather it will short stroke occasionally using the Auto Match. Oil helps, too. Mini Mags keep it running when the choking occurs. All this with the ratty worn out practice mag.

I have a MkII Ruger, bought it new about 4- years ago. Its a keeper. It’s one my bullseye pistols. Can’t go wrong with any of the MkIi-IV series pistols. Had samples of III and IV, too. They didn’t meet the practice needs I have so off they went. The Mk IV 22/45 I put all Volquartsen in it. Very sweet shooter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom