• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    It sounds like 223 is probably worth reloading.

Where do you get your 223 brass? Is it advisable to pick others brass off the ground?

Is there an abundance of good brass on the ground after 3 gun matches?

Thanks,
    Eric

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    I'm considering getting into re-loading, and what I have been doing is collecting my own brass after shooting and just keeping it until I make a decision.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    1) Collect your own.

2) Buy once fired brass from online.

3) Pick up range brass, but you will get a mixed bag. And at matches, either the shooters pick up their own. If someone doesn't want theirs, the squad shares it. Some matches are "lost brass" in that you are not allowed to pick up your brass. The range officers pick it up between squads and get to keep it.

justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    I'm considering getting into re-loading, and what I have been doing is collecting my own brass after shooting and just keeping it until I make a decision.

I would try to save as much of my brass as possible but when your doing 3 gun shoots, I don't think your given an opportunity to pick up your brass after you shoot. I suspect the course is littered with good brass for the small number of re-loaders ready to make it theirs. On the other hand, maybe there is a mad dash for the brass when it hits the ground. Brings back visions of when Mom would cook bbq pork chops and there was enough for everyone to get 2 and one person to get 3. I still eat fast as a result of that early conditioning.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Never paid a red cent for .223 brass. Many feel its not worth reloading, and just leave it on the ground. But thats great for me, I pick up & process every last one of them. I end up paying 20 cents a round reloading my own, since Im not paying for the cases.

After awhile you start acquiring LOTS of free cases. I process my cases, sort them by headstamp, and bag them by headstamp. That way when I need to load, I just prime charge & seat.

The pic below is just my reserve cases - not what I already have loaded. Some of those 1 gallon bags are so stuffed I can barely shut them :D

If your worried about losing your cases, invest in a brass catcher, if you shooting an AR. They are cheap enough and work well.

Attachments

• 223556brass.jpg
      223556brass.jpg
      132.7 KB · Views: 478

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    When I shot USPSA, the others in your squad would pick up the brass (if not a lost brass event) and give it to you, if you wanted it. If you did not want it, they would split it amoung those who did.

As I mentioned, in lost brass events, the range officers pick it up and split it.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Many years ago, when I was 2nd VP at SCSC, permission was secured for the Sheriff's Dept. "EST" Team to use our range.

Since I was in charge of the range, I took the day off, to watch/witness what happened.

I took along some of my 'stuff', and a 5 gallon bucket.

The Sgt. asked what I wanted done with the brass that they expend.

"Just put it right here, in this bucket. I'll take care of it, from there."

When we secured the range, that 5 gallon bucket was 3/4 full of .223, 9mm and .308 brass.
    (Mostly .223 and 9mm!)

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

(I know. I'm a rotten bastige!!!) Ha!:lol2:

gregaarms

Machinist Junkie
    Feb 18, 2013
    Calvert County
    I have a bunch of .223 range brass with a head stamp of G.F.L. They were picked up from a LE range. I figured out that it's Fiocchi brass (Giulio Fiocchi, Lecco, Italy.)

Has anyone reloaded this brass before? Is it any good?

f531498a-b138-4305-8f6e-6f5f32d4f7b9.png

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    I have a bunch of .223 range brass with a head stamp of G.F.L. They were picked up from a LE range. I figured out that it's Fiocchi brass (Giulio Fiocchi, Lecco, Italy.)

Has anyone reloaded this brass before? Is it any good?

f531498a-b138-4305-8f6e-6f5f32d4f7b9.png

Some of the GFL I have processed have the primer holes waaay off center. Otherwise seems decent enough.

gregaarms

Machinist Junkie
    Feb 18, 2013
    Calvert County
    What is the going price for once fire Lake city brass now?

I've seen it average about $.10 per round lately.

Some of the GFL I have processed have the primer holes waaay off center. Otherwise seems decent enough.

In the process of de-priming this stuff and you are exactly right! The primer holes are all over the place. On some they are soo far off I cant deprime it in fear of breaking my de-capper. The 9mm G.F.L. brass I is the worst out of all 3 calibers I have so far. :sad20:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Many years ago, when I was 2nd VP at SCSC, permission was secured for the Sheriff's Dept. "EST" Team to use our range.

"Just put it right here, in this bucket. I'll take care of it, from there."

When we secured the range, that 5 gallon bucket was 3/4 full of .223, 9mm and .308 brass.
    (Mostly .223 and 9mm!)

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

(I know. I'm a rotten bastige!!!) Ha!:lol2:

You performed a service you helped the Sheriff's Dept stay "green". This would be like you going over and emptying their blue recycling paper bin and then using it to make new paper. yup, same thing. You should get a "Major Award" for this.

Clippers69

Mar 7, 2011
    The GFI .223 brass that I found being used by Federal Agencies is loaded with frangible bullets. This is a reduced pressure round. Some of the flash holes are off-center, but the ones that I get do not need trimming. I trimmed a few hundred at first, but I got almost nothing in brass shavings. They clean up well and when cleaned in stainless steel media, they are like brand new. I have reloaded thousands of them and they shoot just as good as LC or any other factory ammo.

Fishinblues

Dec 22, 2012

Buy extra decapping stems. I went through way to many Dillon and Lee stems from the off center flash holes on the GFL 223 brass. All GFL Brass goes into the trash now. It is just not worth reloading on a progressive press.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    All of my .223 brass is range pickup. I dig through the buckets at the back of the NRA Range sometimes. Same with most of my pistol brass. The only brass I have purchased is for my oddball cartridges.

gregaarms

Machinist Junkie
    Feb 18, 2013
    Calvert County
    Thanks for the info on the G.F.L. brass... :party29:

I got another one for you guys. Has anyone had any experience reloading .223 brass with the head stamp PSD?

cartridgecollectors.org says its:

Poongsan Metal Manufacturing Company Ltd., Seoul, Republic of Korea (probably at the Dongrae Ammunition Plant)

Hopefully this stuff is better than the G.F.L. junk I acquired. :shrug:

Teflon

Aug 5, 2013
    Hagerstown
    After awhile you start acquiring LOTS of free cases. I process my cases, sort them by headstamp, and bag them by headstamp. That way when I need to load, I just prime charge & seat.

Have you noticed a big difference in accuracy based on case headstamp? To be honest, I've never paid much attention to headstamp. I worked up a bullet/primer/powder load combination but never worried about the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom