• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jun 27, 2012
    I am just getting back into shooting pistols after being away from it for probably 15 years. My "main" hobby is target archery, and I have gotten quite good at it, so I am very used to very precise shooting. I just bought a Taurus 357 revolver to shoot, and would like to pick up a 22 to shoot for fun and not spend a fortune on ammo. My question is this... what kind of competitions are there in the central Maryland (AA county ish) area shooting 22's? What are the rules on equipment? I see all of the olympic style shooting is done one handed and with open sights, is this the standard for shooting 22 target pistols? Bottom line is I want to get an idea of what kind of 22 I should be looking at that I can shoot in competition if I choose to. Should I get something like the Ruger MKIII that has scope rails? Something with the grips like the Olympic guns designed to shoot one handed? Etc etc... My pistol years ago that I shot was the Ruger MKII Target in stainless and the long slab side barrel.. I wish I had never sold it now... any info/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Olympic shooting is different than NRA Bullseye shooting. A Bullseye match is 270 shots, 90 shots of .22, 90 shots of .45and 90 shots of any centerfire cartridge .32 or greater. There are matches that are only .22 or .45, I don't remember if the NRA tracks those or if they are informal matches.

Associated Gun Clubs, AGC, has a Tuesday .22 match. I believe Anne Arundel Fish and Game also has some matches.

Jun 27, 2012
    Anybody else have any info for me? I have done some more reading and gathered there are pretty much classes for everything from pretty much stock guns up through unlimited pretty much anything goes. I'm thinking I would like a MKII with a red dot type scope on it if that would put me into some sort of class that I could shoot somewhere for fun.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Twelfth Precinct Gun Club aka Twelfth Precint Pistol and Archery Club sounds like where you are looking for. Located in AA Co (Harwood), NRA Bullseye shooting ( and related variants, and archery of all flavors in about equal split.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I know Anne Arundel Fish and Game on St Margarets Road in Annapolis has .22 Bullseye matches. They hold several formal matches each month.

Joe

Vision

Apr 10, 2011
    Havre de Grace, MD
    Up in Delta PA they have a Steel shoot on the 4th Sunday of the month that some people shoot .22 at. It's not an official competition however times are recorded for anyone that wants to keep them. Bit of a hike from AA county though.

Jun 27, 2012
    Thanks for the info guys.. is there a website I can go to to see what classes allow what equipment to be shot in what kinds of competitions? Keep the info coming.. I want to jump into this right out of the box.

Jun 27, 2012
    Bigfoot.. I actually know twelfth precinct well.. I was just there this past weekend for a field archery shoot. I think I may very well join there. Do you know if the archery club is seperate from the gun club, or does being a memeber of one give you the same rights to both?

Jun 27, 2012
    Thanks fa18.. as you said though, seems especially in the 22 pistol stuff, pretty much anything goes? If I read correctly scopes are fine, and match style adjustable grips are fine, unlike the other calibers/classes? What kind of matches would a 22 be used in? Any good videos on youtube etc I should check out?

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    The12th has a league on Wednesday night at 5, and Saturday morning st 9. Membership includes both pistol and archery. The league is a separate cost, which is currently $40 per season or $5 per league day. Stop by then and meet the people, ask questions, and watch a match.

Jun 27, 2012
    The12th has a league on Wednesday night at 5, and Saturday morning st 9. Membership includes both pistol and archery. The league is a separate cost, which is currently $40 per season or $5 per league day. Stop by then and meet the people, ask questions, and watch a match.

Sounds like a plan. Are the leagues inside/under cover? If its raining tomorrow morning, will there still be leagues going on?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The same membership includes all facilities. Many , if not most of the firing points are covered. *disclaimer* I had the tour , and was about to join when finances snuck up and bit me. But it is still on future adgenda to join.

The main venues of " Sanctioned, Big Time " .22lr handgun competion are Bullseye , and Metalic Silhouete . How ever just about every club will have Club Matches of various types involving .22s frequently. Albeit that 12th is pretty much pure " paper target @ 25yds" .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom