• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Why do you prefer the Gen 3 SF over a Gen 4?

:thumbsup:

The G21SF 3rd gen has some differences designed to accomidate military requests has an ambi-mag release and thicker standard pic-rail. The grip also fits my hand well and points naturally for me, it is wide and spreads recoil, but short enough that a good high grip places my finger right on the trigger. The gen4 issues have mostly been resolved, but I just don't like the new texture, both the look, and the feel, it is secure, but the tiny points dig into my hands, would abrade clothing or skin if worn in a close fitting holster, and the texture on the front of the grip is actually milder than the gen 3s. The back straps don't change the grip shape like the SF models do, they just make the grip slightly smaller or larger, and while the larger mag release is easier to work, it also can get bumped easier too, but that is the only real upgrade I could live with compared to the gen 3s. Glock had a good thing going with the gen 3s, but IMO they tried to go after the M&P a bit too hastily, and ended up short, and arguably short of their own gen 3 pistols.

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    What's the gun's primary purpose? If it's defensive, I don't think you can go wrong with a Glock. Might want to consider a Sig 220 too.

If it's going to be range gun, or something you want to experiment and tinker with, a 1911. There's just something about a 1911 and .45ACP...

sonofagun1267

May 9, 2012
    Silver Spring
    I have a Glock 21 SF Gen 3 since April 2011 and its the most reliable pistol I have ever fired. It is so easy to customize how you like it and so easy to detail strip parts. At first I didnt like the 5.5 lbs trigger, so I looked on google for possible parts I can swap out to reduce the trigger weight and thats what started my addiction to buying glock upgrades. There's so much you can do, from installing new springs, to replacing triggers, installing extended mag releases, recoil springs and other things. Plus the 13 +1 magazine capacity was a big selling point for me

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    FNP 45 is on par. I sometimes have buyers remorse when I shoot my FNP, wishing I bought the 21. The 21 is a great platform and I really like the pistol (Gen 3 or 4). The selling point for me, as a HD piece, is 14 rounds vs a 1911's 7 or the HK45's 10. More is better right? Shot placement is critical but how often do you train with someone walking/running towards you in CQB environment that would mimic your home? Never, so more rounds are better, hopefully for proper shot placement.

As a carry piece, I can't imagine carrying the FNP or 21. The G30 was pretty sweet and I could imagine that as a carry piece. But I get .45 rounds for free, so there's no reason for me to go with a separate caliber.

In the end, it's what you like/shoot the best. It might be .380. But you won't go wrong with any modern pistol in .45.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I have 13 rounders for the USP and 14 rounders for my M&P, plus one in the chamber for both - I'm good with that. ;)

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    You can get those giant Korean G21 mags too.
    My gun eats them up. That's 27+1 rounds of GTFO.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I went to On Target today to shoot and while I was there I saw a G21 SF and G21 Gen 4. Awesome! I had my Gen 3 Standard G21 with me so I finally got a chance to compare them. I definitely noticed a difference in thickness. Was it enormous? No, but it was definitely noticeable. And the more textured grip on the Gen 4 would probably assist in controlling the gun.

I think the holy grail for me would be a G21 SF RTF2, but I imagine that will be close to impossible to find. No?

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    I went to On Target today to shoot and while I was there I saw a G21 SF and G21 Gen 4. Awesome! I had my Gen 3 Standard G21 with me so I finally got a chance to compare them. I definitely noticed a difference in thickness. Was it enormous? No, but it was definitely noticeable. And the more textured grip on the Gen 4 would probably assist in controlling the gun.

I think the holy grail for me would be a G21 SF RTF2, but I imagine that will be close to impossible to find. No?

The whole RTF2 deal is a bit absurd. I think the Glock community (especially glocktalk) has blown out of proportion the supposed rarity of this particular stippling - there were thousands of these things made. Fact, more people are probably holding onto them. I wouldn't pay more for an RTF2 than a basic model. And, I've seen folks charge $200+ over basic pre-owned price for some beat-up examples of RTF2.

I'd say go Gen 4 and save yourself a headache. The stippling will be more pronounced on the Gen 4's. And, apparently (as evident on the YT vids of Gen.4 21s) the new recoil spring does make a considerable difference.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Went to my LGS today to check some out. (Well, not really local, it's a long drive, lol, but still, Gun Connection.)

I really lucked out. They happened to have a G21 SF, G21 SF RTF2, and G21 Gen 4. I really got a good opportunity to figure out which one I wanted. All are improvements over my standard G21 (as far as grip.)

Anyway, the RTF2 seemed really cool, but just slightly too aggressive texturing. Slightly. The standard SF felt nice, slimmer than my standard 21, but still, kind of slippery. I thought about putting some sort of grip on it to solve that problem, but I'd rather not, if I can avoid it.

Then there was the gen 4. Felt just as good as far as size (since they are the same), and I much preferred the texture to the slippery texture of the gen 1-3 non RTF frames. The mag release was icing on the cake. Made it easier to reach it on such a big gun. The only hesitation going into a gen 4 were problems with the 9mm models...but they seem to be just that--limited to the 9mm models (in the past.) .45s should be good to go.

So I bought it. Good price too. Now comes the long, agonizing wait...

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Went to my LGS today to check some out. (Well, not really local, it's a long drive, lol, but still, Gun Connection.)

I really lucked out. They happened to have a G21 SF, G21 SF RTF2, and G21 Gen 4. I really got a good opportunity to figure out which one I wanted. All are improvements over my standard G21 (as far as grip.)

Anyway, the RTF2 seemed really cool, but just slightly too aggressive texturing. Slightly. The standard SF felt nice, slimmer than my standard 21, but still, kind of slippery. I thought about putting some sort of grip on it to solve that problem, but I'd rather not, if I can avoid it.

Then there was the gen 4. Felt just as good as far as size (since they are the same), and I much preferred the texture to the slippery texture of the gen 1-3 non RTF frames. The mag release was icing on the cake. Made it easier to reach it on such a big gun. The only hesitation going into a gen 4 were problems with the 9mm models...but they seem to be just that--limited to the 9mm models (in the past.) .45s should be good to go.

So I bought it. Good price too. Now comes the long, agonizing wait...

That's awesome! Congrats! Pics when you finally bring her home!

I've been saying all along the whole RTF2, SF, and whatever other prefixes there are out there are internet people going gaga over them.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :party29: :party29: :party29:

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    That's awesome! Congrats! Pics when you finally bring her home!

I've been saying all along the whole RTF2, SF, and whatever other prefixes there are out there are internet people going gaga over them.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :party29: :party29: :party29:

Well...I sort of agree.

I mean, compared to most other service pistols IMO, Glocks are definitely smoothest. So I think people were especially happy about a textured frame. I just think the RTF is a little too rough...and I think if you were carrying a RTF frame IWB with no undershirt it would rub you raw.

As for the SF...the G20 and G21 DEFINITELY needed that to begin with, lol.

But you're right, people do go gaga over this stuff sometimes. Especially glockers.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Well I picked up my new G21 Gen 4 yesterday from Gun Connection. Took it to Delmarva this morning and put 100 rds through it. Shot perfectly. I like the more aggressive texturing and shorter frame. Bigger mag release was a plus as well.

The whole double recoil spring reducing recoil is bull crap though. Maybe some can feel it I can't at all. But I don't care, that's not why I wanted the Gen 4 anyway.

Anyway, totally happy with the purchase.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Well I picked up my new G21 Gen 4 yesterday from Gun Connection. Took it to Delmarva this morning and put 100 rds through it. Shot perfectly. I like the more aggressive texturing and shorter frame. Bigger mag release was a plus as well.

The whole double recoil spring reducing recoil is bull crap though. Maybe some can feel it I can't at all. But I don't care, that's not why I wanted the Gen 4 anyway.

Anyway, totally happy with the purchase.

Nice! Now can I come and shoot it too? ;)

I'm surprised about what you've said of the dual-recoil spring.

So, this is still your #1 choice for a 21 out of all the variations that are out there now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom