• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    May 4th!? Pa is so bass-ackwards. Glad I don't live there. Low spots are great turkey holders when the winds are howling. ;)
    It's actually not that out of line with where it should be. I wouldn't be surprised if MD moves back at some point down the road. Several states are pushing their dates back to allow more breeding to occur.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It's actually not that out of line with where it should be. I wouldn't be surprised if MD moves back at some point down the road. Several states are pushing their dates back to allow more breeding to occur.
    The "experts" have always said the majority of breeding has already occurred prior to Md's opening season. :shrug:

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    The "experts" have always said the majority of breeding has already occurred prior to Md's opening season. :shrug:
    I believe MDs determination was they felt that by April 18 about 50% of hens should be sitting on nests. I think their study is going to show them something much different. Anecdotally, I see different around my parts, but thats just a small area.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I think a late season can be detrimental to survival of chicks. About 5 yrs ago, I was hunting on the last day of the Md season. On my way out of the woods , I came across a hen and 4 chicks. They were so small, that I think they had just hatched that morning. She yapped at me non stop for 10 mins as she took her brood down the hill. I guarantee she had every predator around on high alert.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Walked outside last night to move a horse between paddocks. Nasty, misting, almost dark. Thought I heard a gobble, so I let out an owl hoot and multiple birds fired up in the creek bottom on the farm next door. Its funny, some of the most intense gobbling I've heard in recent years has been in atrocious conditions. Last spring we had a morning where they were sounding off in a snow squall.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    All I know is that the gobblers are getting hot.
    I’ve got a bunch of pictures on my trail cams, of multiple gobblers in full strut.
    IMG_2678.png

Attachments

• IMG_2677.png
      IMG_2677.png
      2 MB · Views: 19

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Walked outside last night to move a horse between paddocks. Nasty, misting, almost dark. Thought I heard a gobble, so I let out an owl hoot and multiple birds fired up in the creek bottom on the farm next door. Its funny, some of the most intense gobbling I've heard in recent years has been in atrocious conditions. Last spring we had a morning where they were sounding off in a snow squall.
    That what will keep them quite the next morning.
    Thunderstorms will the same thing and can make them gobble all night.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    My turkeys were bumpin' uglies a few weeks ago and my tom is still gobbling a lot, but no eggs yet from the hens. They've always started laying before April. Now, I do have one hen that is probably done laying, but the other one is still young and should have started by now.

Two houses up has turkeys now too and I hear their bird a lot recently.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I just left the farm and saw two big long beards both chasing about 20 hens

They’ve been bunched up for about two weeks like that

FakeID

Aug 5, 2022
    AACo Maryland
    I saw 2 turkeys along side the road in glen burnie last summer and heard from a friend that he's seen a few in severna park this past week. Maybe they are moving to the suburbs to relax during the spring season?

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    I don’t know but Maryland, but I’m visiting some friends for my bday weekend in Ottawa and boy… These birds are huge and just walking around on the streets like normal people .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom