• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Since there have been multiple turkey related posts, I figured I would go ahead and start my annual Turkey Hunting Thread.

My local birds have more or less disappeared this winter. Haven't seen one since November. Starting to shift the trail cams into the Turkey locations.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    where i hunt is the same , they wax and wain , you'll see ten or twelve and then none for weeks . have no idea where they go , maybe on vacation ?

PEEJAY

Dec 2, 2020
    Since there have been multiple turkey related posts, I figured I would go ahead and start my annual Turkey Hunting Thread.

My local birds have more or less disappeared this winter. Haven't seen one since November. Starting to shift the trail cams into the Turkey locations.
    do they normally stay in the same area all year long in your spot? i notice they move depending on weather and food sources just like deer will. maybe more. especially if its windy and they need better roosting spots. or predators are bothering them.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I have not been looking for turkeys but I had a flock of 25 around me when I shot my last buck the first Saturday of late muzzle loader. This is west of Boonsboro. I saw at least 6 gobblers in the group, but got distracted by the 8 point trying to sneak through. All turkey observations we terminated when I unloaded the gun on the buck.

When I don't see them hunting, I typically do not see them a lot. They are rare in the fields and seem fairly quiet

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I have a couple spots picked. Some old, one new I'm interested in trying out.
    I used to be really really big into turkey hunting but not so much any more but Ill still go.
    I think up until last year, the two prior I may not even have gone of if I did it was very seldom.
    I went one time last year and killed one right off and that was it for me.
    I tried to video the shot but couldn't hold the gun an my phone at the same time.
    It wasn't like I was driving or something which would have been much easier I think.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    do they normally stay in the same area all year long in your spot? i notice they move depending on weather and food sources just like deer will. maybe more. especially if its windy and they need better roosting spots. or predators are bothering them.
    I generally don't see any hens this time of year, but the gobbler group normally passes through every few weeks.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Starting to come back around again.
    1000028409.jpg

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    Well I am still relatively inexperienced, lost my private spots that had birds last season so figure it would be good to go where there are more birds…..successfully drew tags in Iowa for this spring

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Well I am still relatively inexperienced, lost my private spots that had birds last season so figure it would be good to go where there are more birds…..successfully drew tags in Iowa for this spring
    That's awesome. One of these years I'm going to take a week in March and hunt florida and georgia.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Saw two nice long beards over the weekend. Of course they were coming off the spot I lost last year, but they're close enough to be in play. No gobbling yet though

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Had a bird on camera this morning and heard my first gobbles this morning. They are starting to get ramped up.
    1000029368.jpg

Also this is my wife for the next two months.
    1000029367.jpg

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Anyone hearing any gobbling? Have seen birds, but not much gobbling, especially compared to last year.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    They should be going on now but the wind makes it hard to hear from the house around this way.
    The other day it was NE all day and then NW the very next morning and still windy out.
    DE opens in the next few days or early next week I think this year.
    Saw some nice birds picked up on some field cams already.
    No reports of any from the crew out shed horn hunting the past week or so for any strutting behavior in the fields that they spotted.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Getting a lot of pictures of them on my cameras at one place. I haven’t checked the cameras at my other spots, but I’m guessing they are there too.
    Every year I get excited getting so many photos of them before season. Once the season starts I don’t see a bird! Oh well, that’s just my luck with turkeys.
    IMG_2633.png

Attachments

• IMG_2630.png
      IMG_2630.png
      2.9 MB · Views: 24
    • IMG_2634.png
      IMG_2634.png
      2.2 MB · Views: 23
    • IMG_2631.png
      IMG_2631.png
      1.7 MB · Views: 22

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Getting a lot of pictures of them on my cameras at one place. I haven’t checked the cameras at my other spots, but I’m guessing they are there too.
    Every year I get excited getting so many photos of them before season. Once the season starts I don’t see a bird! Oh well, that’s just my luck with turkeys. View attachment 462152
    No roosting areas on your place?

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    No roosting areas on your place?
    You would be correct, there aren’t any big trees on this property. My brother and I bought this property last spring. It’s in Pennsylvania. it was clear cut 15 years ago or so. The good news is we are surrounded my mature woods. We do have 2small ponds, a few spring heads, and a few low spots that hold water. The turkeys, and everything else seem to come by to take a drink. We have never hunted turkeys on this place yet, so I guess we will find out when the season comes in, which up there is May 4th.

The other properties I hunt them are small wood lots in Frederick County, and there is a lot of hunting pressure on them.

I’m hoping there isn’t as much pressure on them at our spot in PA. According to the neighbors I’ve meet no one around there hunts turkeys. I guess we wait and see.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You would be correct, there aren’t any big trees on this property. My brother and I bought this property last spring. It’s in Pennsylvania. it was clear cut 15 years ago or so. The good news is we are surrounded my mature woods. We do have 2small ponds, a few spring heads, and a few low spots that hold water. The turkeys, and everything else seem to come by to take a drink. We have never hunted turkeys on this place yet, so I guess we will find out when the season comes in, which up there is May 4th.

The other properties I hunt them are small wood lots in Frederick County, and there is a lot of hunting pressure on them.

I’m hoping there isn’t as much pressure on them at our spot in PA. According to the neighbors I’ve meet no one around there hunts turkeys. I guess we wait and see.
    May 4th!? Pa is so bass-ackwards. Glad I don't live there. Low spots are great turkey holders when the winds are howling. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom