2024 - HB329 (SB102) - Public Safety - Handgun Permits - Expiration and Renewal Periods for Retired Law Enforcement Officer

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Not opposed if this makes it easier for a former officer to carry.
    Anyone who dedicates themselves to a career of law enforcement and service to the community or general welfare of the citizenry should have not as many obstacles to overcome if they intend to practice good stewardship for the maintenance of firearms carry.
    Here or anywhere else.

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    This will create a bifurcated system of rights entitlement that is illegal under the 14th Amendment of the U.S. Bill of Rights, which guarantees equal protection under the law. All people are entitled to the right to self-defense outside the home in case of confrontation anywhere and at any time, not just retired law enforcement. This bill is clearly and patently discriminatory. It “rewards” one class of people at the expense of another. It should be voted down for this discrimination alone.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Anyone who dedicates themselves to a career of law enforcement and service to the community or general welfare of the citizenry should have not as many obstacles to overcome if they intend to practice good stewardship for the maintenance of firearms carry.
    Here or anywhere else.
    None of us should have any of these obstacles to overcome. It's my right as much as it is a former officer's

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    None of us should have any of these obstacles to overcome. It's my right as much as it is a former officer's
    Yeah that’s right I agree.
    But, anytime someone can get them advanced in a recognized manner I’m all for it even if I’m not that guy.
    I could have been a cop instead of a lineman, but just so happened to choose differently that’s all.
    Besides, if I really want to carry a gun the only person that’s really stopping that happens to be me. Not a retired cop somewhere.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You're getting a case of the ass because their W&C permit might become a 5 year renewal? Instead of what now, 3?

They still have to requalify every year for LEOSA, W&C don't.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    You're getting a case of the ass because their W&C permit might become a 5 year renewal? Instead of what now, 3?

They still have to requalify every year for LEOSA, W&C don't.
    Not me I dont GAF what cops have to do but thats surely not keeping me from getting a permit or anything like that.
    I cant say what anyone else feels like or what their reasoning is.
    If I didn't know any better it has to do with equal fair treatment and the bill of rights and all that happy sh*t.
    I'd be interested to hear from those however that could educate me to where Im wrong. And I may argue, but I already know the answer.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Not me I dont GAF what cops have to do but thats surely not keeping me from getting a permit or anything like that.
    I cant say what anyone else feels like or what their reasoning is.
    If I didn't know any better it has to do with equal fair treatment and the bill of rights and all that happy sh*t.
    I'd be interested to hear from those however that could educate me to where Im wrong. And I may argue, but I already know the answer.
    Well, I didn't quote you so I didn't mean you. In general.

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    Increasing the time for renewal for some means others will incur more costs to renew and legally carry because they will need to pay the costs more frequently. For example, if the cost for renewal is 500 USD, over a 15 year period a retired police officer would need to pay 1500 USD, whereas a civilian would need to pay 2500 USD. This is discriminatory and unfair, especially to lower income law abiding people.

The only good thing about this proposed bill is that some of the legislators seem to recognize that a five year renewal window make sense. So there's that.

But aside from all of this, no one should be paying any money to the state to exercise the right to self-defense outside the home, anyway.

Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    Here or anywhere else.

I used to be a professional firefighter, dragging hoses into burning buildings and houses, crawling thru smoke searching for scared people hiding from flames. Should I qualify? How about if I were a desk jockey, wearing a badge but never seeing action?

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Whole lot of shouldn'ts with which I agree and at the end of the day, the MGA simply DNGAF. I'm pert sure that everything as written, in this bill and others, will go through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom