• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    Had my son out squirrel hunting yesterday. Saw a group of about 10 does with a nice 7 point hot on their tails. The entire group came within 10 yards of us including the 7 point.

Saw another 7 or 8 point 100 yards behind the main group trying to catch up. They are definitely chasing right now.

Last edited:

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    This guy was following some does in my backyard this morning.

Attachments

• 05902307-B96E-41E3-B4AE-A12F694E13F6.jpg
      05902307-B96E-41E3-B4AE-A12F694E13F6.jpg
      78.5 KB · Views: 386

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Gave this guy a pass yesterday. 7 pointer with no brows. He put on a heck of a show! Licked a branch, worked a scrape, and then rubbed a bush right underneath my stand for 5 minutes.

Didn't see a damn thing this morning in another stand.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Friday double.Went in to friend's property in Monkton blind. Some nice fat doe meat and didnt mess things up at my place for the rut. Deer number 2 actually posed for the shot while sniffing the arrow sticking out of the ground that terminated deer #1. Gotta love low pressure small suburban tracts.

L6KiSyD.jpg

MKbLOuX.jpg
    nice! I like doubles!

I was lucky enough to get a second yesterday. I have been practicing my stalk/sneak technique and this is the second one I’ve been able to walk up on in the woods less than 30yds. I’ve been heading in the morning after a rain storm and it is very easy to move around quietly. Those Rage Broadheads still impress me with how damaging they are.
    This antlerless buck had a few large growths on his legs. No serious infection or effect on the meat though.
    Is it an older buck? It looks like it has nubs on its head but no antlers?
    Good archery buck seems like the frequency of movement is increasing around the doe units
    View attachment 270333
    Nice buck! Big body.congrats!

AlphabetSoup

Oct 28, 2019
    Sorry for thread drift but - any fellow archers know if cheltenham wma has a spot to shoot at target on stand, or just drop an 18-1? Was going to head out that way but nees to set my longer pins before going out on the 3d course.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Sorry for thread drift but - any fellow archers know if cheltenham wma has a spot to shoot at target on stand, or just drop an 18-1? Was going to head out that way but nees to set my longer pins before going out on the 3d course.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I think it does for members. I know that Myrtle Grove has an archery stand that you can shoot targets from near the gun range.

Javo-J10

Dec 26, 2016
    Hanover, PA
    Found this cool pic on the camera today. Date and time obviously incorrect, but must have been August-September by the temperature.
    917fc2230ac653f00a8303f6690992a7.jpg

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Helping a friend track a deer today and stumbled onto this guy. Looks like someone lost their deer.

I also kicked up a big ass coyote! First time ever seeing one.

Attachments

• 6F4E3A9B-52A9-4023-A8CD-629704822E06.jpg
      6F4E3A9B-52A9-4023-A8CD-629704822E06.jpg
      202.9 KB · Views: 340

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Finally got on the scoreboard and meat in the freezer. No thanks to adjoining property owners driving quads like motor cross through the corn fields (seriously wondering if they were trying to obstruct)...

Attachments

• BC28DEDB-B83E-4B8B-B202-413FC1B3F136.jpg
      BC28DEDB-B83E-4B8B-B202-413FC1B3F136.jpg
      88.4 KB · Views: 334

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Today I started deer hunting. I could've started hunting a month and a half ago. It had been too warm and the mosquitos were too bad so I didn't want to hunt until they died off (and then there's the snakes).

The annual deer rut is supposed to be starting any day now and I wanted to try "rattling" a buck in. You take a pair of deer antlers and hit them against each other to simulate 2 bucks fighting for dominance. If the rut has started then any buck within hearing distance will come to investigate thinking that a doe in heat is with the bucks.

I was rattling for about an hour then I saw a white tail out of the corner of my eye. It was 2 does and one was looking straight at me at the bottom of a ravine. She was positioned perfectly broadside like one of those targets they sell. She was about 100 yards away. An easy shot. I looked at her with my binocs then through my rifle scope.

Should I or shouldn't I?

My deer season was only an hour old and I was really interested in rattling a buck in so I passed.

I went back up the saddle I was on and rattled towards the other side of the saddle. I noticed a guy in camo and hunting orange up higher on the saddle. I was going to move to another location so I started going up to talk to him. I tripped on a dead branch and almost fell flat on my face. LOL!

The guy was from Penn. and was 76 years old so I told him I was moving to another spot and let him be.

Didn't see any more deer but the rut should start and things are looking good so I'll be hunting the next 3 days.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Today I started deer hunting. I could've started hunting a month and a half ago. It had been too warm and the mosquitos were too bad so I didn't want to hunt until they died off (and then there's the snakes).

The annual deer rut is supposed to be starting any day now and I wanted to try "rattling" a buck in. You take a pair of deer antlers and hit them against each other to simulate 2 bucks fighting for dominance. If the rut has started then any buck within hearing distance will come to investigate thinking that a doe in heat is with the bucks.

I was rattling for about an hour then I saw a white tail out of the corner of my eye. It was 2 does and one was looking straight at me at the bottom of a ravine. She was positioned perfectly broadside like one of those targets they sell. She was about 100 yards away. An easy shot. I looked at her with my binocs then through my rifle scope.

Should I or shouldn't I?

My deer season was only an hour old and I was really interested in rattling a buck in so I passed.

I went back up the saddle I was on and rattled towards the other side of the saddle. I noticed a guy in camo and hunting orange up higher on the saddle. I was going to move to another location so I started going up to talk to him. I tripped on a dead branch and almost fell flat on my face. LOL!

The guy was from Penn. and was 76 years old so I told him I was moving to another spot and let him be.

Didn't see any more deer but the rut should start and things are looking good so I'll be hunting the next 3 days.

I think rattling can be very effective but you need to set yourself up in a spot where you can’t be seen doing it. One study I read argued it was far more effective for a morning hunt than an afternoon hunt. At least here in MD I think we are still in pre rut based on behavior- but it is probably about a week away.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    After spending 5 hours in the woods yesterday, my wife sends me a pic from this morning. Buck chasing a doe in the front yard.

Attachments

• IMG_9572.jpg
      IMG_9572.jpg
      81.1 KB · Views: 321

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Free deer! Today only.

I just finished hunting in Jug Bay in Anne Arundel County. I shot a good sized doe and her fawn. I probably would have let the fawn go but I had recently culled the mom and this is a management hunt and they want as many deer gone as possible.

The doe sprinted behind a clump of trees after I shot her and stopped. No more running, no more visibility; I assume she bled out. But when I got out of the tree hours later - no doe. There was a huge amount of blood on the ground but somehow she managed to escape. Even the park rangers were amazed when they came to help me find her and saw the amount of blood.

So here’s the problem: Normally I hunt for a family friend who’s wife is allergic to beef, chicken, and pork. She can eat fish and venison. With the doe it would have made sense to process both together. Alas with only the scrawny little fawn (field dressed at 22 pounds) it just doesn’t make economic sense to pay to get it processed. I can’t process myself at home so I’m sorta stuck.

I hate to waste the deer. Anyone want it? I’m on my way home now; if anyone lives in or near central Anne Arundel County and wants it let me know and I’ll drive it to you. First one to respond gets the deer.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I just finished hunting in Jug Bay in Anne Arundel County. I shot a good sized doe and her fawn. I probably would have let the fawn go but I had recently culled the mom and this is a management hunt and they want as many deer gone as possible.

The doe sprinted behind a clump of trees after I shot her and stopped. No more running, no more visibility; I assume she bled out. But when I got out of the tree hours later - no doe. There was a huge amount of blood on the ground but somehow she managed to escape. Even the park rangers were amazed when they came to help me find her and saw the amount of blood.

So here’s the problem: Normally I hunt for a family friend who’s wife is allergic to beef, chicken, and pork. She can eat fish and venison. With the doe it would have made sense to process both together. Alas with only the scrawny little fawn (field dressed at 22 pounds) it just doesn’t make economic sense to pay to get it processed. I can’t process myself at home so I’m sorta stuck.

I hate to waste the deer. Anyone want it? I’m on my way home now; if anyone lives in or near central Anne Arundel County and wants it let me know and I’ll drive it to you. First one to respond gets the deer.

A pandeer. Probably great eats!

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Deer is spoken for. I took it to a processor and donated it to the feed the hungry program. It was too small by itself to go into their book, but they said they’d add it to someone else’s donation which is good. I just didn’t want the deer to go to waste.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Buck doing a little weed eating in my back yard.

Attachments

• IMG_20191104_172700.jpg
      IMG_20191104_172700.jpg
      36.5 KB · Views: 282

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Our back yard oak tree went crazy this year. Have collected about a hundred pounds of acorns. Dropped about 60 pounds off yesterday, with a friend who says he can do a special magic trick that will turn them into venison.

Attachments

• 0754536B-492C-4895-9221-C52F5543AE5A.jpg
      0754536B-492C-4895-9221-C52F5543AE5A.jpg
      106 KB · Views: 300

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Our back yard oak tree went crazy this year. Have collected about a hundred pounds of acorns. Dropped about 60 pounds off yesterday, with a friend who says he can do a special magic trick that will turn them into venison.

Watch out if you plan to store them long in the bags like that.They have a lot of moisture in them and will mold.Ask me how I know :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom