• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    What’s the prediction for tomorrow am and pm in Westminster? I am on the eastern shore so I was thinking to Skip am (last week I was there in the am twice and saw next to nothing) and hunt pm. I’m still limited to a ground blind with my shoulder but I have it set up at the top of a ridge overlooking a known bed down spot (I took a 190lb on the hoof buck hear there last year). Everyone I talk to has said they have experienced the same lack of activity I have seen - who has a crystal ball as to whether tomorrow evening will be a good time to see bambi?

Damn, ETA, the team I coach has their party tomorrow pm so I may get stuck with the am hunt Sunday pm if I strike out. I was kind of looking forward to a sleep in... that said, crystal ball me for tomorrow am and Sunday pm in the Monster.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I am a believer in solunar. Its not the definitive answer but it sure has an influence. With lack of moonlight tomorrow night and rain coming, using the solunar I'm predicting higher than normal activity near dusk. Whenever its 3or4 and the major or minor peaks end near dusk, I get more than normal activity at my feeder which is 50 yards from the treeline. (treeline is not on my property). Sunday hunting no go in HoCo for me so I predict about 20 deer at my feeder sunday evening :(

dde5fd5491ffe8fd1007a5d3e35bb0df.jpg

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I am a believer in solunar. Its not the definitive answer but it sure has an influence. With lack of moonlight tomorrow night and rain coming, using the solunar I'm predicting higher than normal activity near dusk. Whenever its 3or4 and the major or minor peaks end near dusk, I get more than normal activity at my feeder which is 50 yards from the treeline. (treeline is not on my property). Sunday hunting no go in HoCo for me so I predict about 20 deer at my feeder sunday evening :(

dde5fd5491ffe8fd1007a5d3e35bb0df.jpg

Cheers! Downloading as we speak. If I’m reading that right tomorrow am may not be bad? I’m almost two months late getting started and the freezer is empty so I need to get on the scoreboard :) pending something with the kids I plan to be about Sunday pm too.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I sat in an oak woods that leads to a cut cornfield.I had 2 button bucks come by about 1 1/2 hours before dark and two small deer(could have been the same two if they somehow circled around) come by just before the end of legal shooting hours.I only heard 2 shots this eve.I dont know if it is the moon phase or the warm temps,but it seems the deer werent moving too much this eve.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Mother nature is Bi-polar right now. I can't predict which way the wind will blow.

Yesterday morning wind was to be westerly and hunted a feeder with a down hill slope in the morning and scent should drift down the hill in the morning with thermals. Nope, must have been a warm ground from the day before and scent was running up the hill in 37° temps. Never seen stuff like this.

Last evening the wind was changing to every direction. Got blowed at from a doe in the creek bottom SE of me at 5:30 and 6:00 by one NW of me a complete 180° from the other one.

I quit, the turkey's might pay for this transgression today!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Saw a fawn run across the neighbors field about 5:45 and no doe behind it. Then at 6:30 a yearling comes out to the feeder. Waited and then the mature doe comes behind it. Light was fading fast so took the shot. First harvest for the Maxim supressed muzzleloader. Shot went through and tapped a tree and found the lead on the ground. At first wondered if I missed but no way that bullet would have bounced off. Found massive blood trail. Doe jumped across the creek then along it then dropped at the edge of the creek never making to the woods.

As the squirrels were chasing each other and hiding black walnuts, a Bald Eagle swooped in and missed one. That was cool to see.

f04472ee2908bc5c59552aec5c46a457.jpg
    f5ee11327066e54008fed4ab2b75fa1c.jpg
    babd7808a8135efdaf939a9c5a240580.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I didnt have any luck this evening but turned out great. My 5 yr old daughter wanted to sit in the "tent" as she calls it. Went out about 4pm, she was bored by 415pm and finally fell asleep. She was snoring lol.

I woke her up about 545pm, she wanted to go back to the house. I wanted her to have a good first time so we left and jumped a doe up on the way out.

Congrats to all that have put meat in the freezer already.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    A friends 13yr old daughter got her first deer (small doe) but she was so excited. Her and her grandma sat in the blind (my hunting blind) and she shot it about last shooting light. They Did a small track job and found her about 50yds down the hill and she double lung and clipped the heart veins. She jumped right in and was skinning it like a pro. We are all proud of her!

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Saw a fawn run across the neighbors field about 5:45 and no doe behind it. Then at 6:30 a yearling comes out to the feeder. Waited and then the mature doe comes behind it. Light was fading fast so took the shot. First harvest for the Maxim supressed muzzleloader. Shot went through and tapped a tree and found the lead on the ground. At first wondered if I missed but no way that bullet would have bounced off. Found massive blood trail. Doe jumped across the creek then along it then dropped at the edge of the creek never making to the woods.

As the squirrels were chasing each other and hiding black walnuts, a Bald Eagle swooped in and missed one. That was cool to see.

f04472ee2908bc5c59552aec5c46a457.jpg
    f5ee11327066e54008fed4ab2b75fa1c.jpg
    babd7808a8135efdaf939a9c5a240580.jpg

That is neat. Last year I had a fox poke it’s head out of a bush next to my corn pile and grab a cardinal right out of the air that was getting ready to land in it. That was wild. Strange things happen in the woods. This year I have noticed a lot less squirrels than years before.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That is neat. Last year I had a fox poke it’s head out of a bush next to my corn pile and grab a cardinal right out of the air that was getting ready to land in it. That was wild. Strange things happen in the woods. This year I have noticed a lot less squirrels than years before.

Man, I’ve noticed a TON. I’ve been whittling them down here and there. But I’ll still throw some corn out for the deer and see half a dozen squirrels on it 20 minutes later while 3 or 4 more are on my patio at my bird feeders eating what the birds dropped.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    If there are not enough natural predictors for those tree rats you gotta take care of them yourself. Since I can hunt on the corner of my property. sept is usually when I thin them out. Squirrels are like storage space in your home. Once you clean them out, it does not take long for them to fill back up.

One reason I do not touch the foxes in the area. They control the rabbits. When they catch one you hear the scream of a banshee. Not yet seen them bag a squirrel yet but seen them try.

This one came back
    7b4e5c1ef38aa07fab43e0eb676a2cce.jpg

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Friday double.Went in to friend's property in Monkton blind. Some nice fat doe meat and didnt mess things up at my place for the rut. Deer number 2 actually posed for the shot while sniffing the arrow sticking out of the ground that terminated deer #1. Gotta love low pressure small suburban tracts.

L6KiSyD.jpg

MKbLOuX.jpg

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Friday double.Went in to friend's property in Monkton blind. Some nice fat doe meat and didnt mess things up at my place for the rut. Deer number 2 actually posed for the shot while sniffing the arrow sticking out of the ground that terminated deer #1. Gotta love low pressure small suburban tracts.

L6KiSyD.jpg

MKbLOuX.jpg

A two-fer! Nice eating.

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    I was lucky enough to get a second yesterday. I have been practicing my stalk/sneak technique and this is the second one I’ve been able to walk up on in the woods less than 30yds. I’ve been heading in the morning after a rain storm and it is very easy to move around quietly. Those Rage Broadheads still impress me with how damaging they are.
    This antlerless buck had a few large growths on his legs. No serious infection or effect on the meat though.

Attachments

• 4E16E4CF-DD0D-47DF-A516-A7DA07123FBD.jpg
      4E16E4CF-DD0D-47DF-A516-A7DA07123FBD.jpg
      126.3 KB · Views: 292
    • 5241BCF0-DC6D-4421-B600-4747FCE2E479.jpg
      5241BCF0-DC6D-4421-B600-4747FCE2E479.jpg
      124.8 KB · Views: 288
    • 5F689C5A-96AF-4F87-9A23-D6CF60C56A69.jpg
      5F689C5A-96AF-4F87-9A23-D6CF60C56A69.jpg
      84.4 KB · Views: 280

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts