Sykesville
    9af4a629b04332e308d1e8fdae081a5d.jpg

Wife's kill from yesterday

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Awesome buck! Love the right split G2. Big congrats to her

Doofy_13

Dec 20, 2015
    Sykesville
    I stuck a small doe Saturday morning and passed on a decent 8 Friday evening, all public ground. I was out the first two days and it was brutal. Had to take a change of clothes to change into after getting all setup so I wasn't sitting there soaked in sweat the whole time.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I stuck a small doe Saturday morning and passed on a decent 8 Friday evening, all public ground. I was out the first two days and it was brutal. Had to take a change of clothes to change into after getting all setup so I wasn't sitting there soaked in sweat the whole time.

Yeah--that was the most I've ever sweated while hunting. I brought a spare shirt to change into once in the tree, but could have used a few more...and some pants and socks. Maybe next time hunting in heat like that I'll just go native and paint my body cammo colors. Kidding--I'll never hunt in heat like that again.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yeah--that was the most I've ever sweated while hunting. I brought a spare shirt to change into once in the tree, but could have used a few more...and some pants and socks. Maybe next time hunting in heat like that I'll just go native and paint my body cammo colors. Kidding--I'll never hunt in heat like that again.

I walked out to my stand Saturday, and immediatly turned around and went back in. Way too hot. Was soaked through the clothes. I could smell myself, so i know it was a waste of time sitting there. Nice job on the deer. Congrats.]

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

Congrats on a nice mature doe! I get amped up and especially if I hear the deer crash...I like to go and look for blood trail. Sometimes its good to wait and hopefully the deer bleeds out.

As for the lighted nocks, we cant use them out west here but If it works for you its all good. Typically a crossbow or even compound bow blasts right through them so the only thing good the lighted noc is to find your arrow and see what kind of blood you got on the arrow. If its gut blood then you know you should back out. Lung blood most likely its not far.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Congrats on a nice mature doe! I get amped up and especially if I hear the deer crash...I like to go and look for blood trail. Sometimes its good to wait and hopefully the deer bleeds out.

As for the lighted nocks, we cant use them out west here but If it works for you its all good. Typically a crossbow or even compound bow blasts right through them so the only thing good the lighted noc is to find your arrow and see what kind of blood you got on the arrow. If its gut blood then you know you should back out. Lung blood most likely its not far.

What's the reason the lighted nocks can't be used? I presume this is a state wide restriction?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    What's the reason the lighted nocks can't be used? I presume this is a state wide restriction?

Im not for certain, its an Idaho fish and game law...stupid hippie tree huggers influence...most likely. I would think its better to possibly help find your animal you just shot.

Some rules I think are intended for hunters NOT to get big game animals...

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Im not for certain, its an Idaho fish and game law...stupid hippie tree huggers influence...most likely. I would think its better to possibly help find your animal you just shot.

Some rules I think are intended for hunters NOT to get big game animals...

That's crazy. Any tool that allows the hunter to find their dispatched animal is a great tool. I see no reason for this restriction. None what so ever. It doesn't give the hunter any advantage during the hunt. It's just a tool that a hunter can use to help find their downed target.

Crazy law!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It's probably a leftover from P&Y or something like that. They don't allow electronics on archery tackle. I believe they just recently started allowing lighted nocks in conjunction with kills, but nothing else(unless that's changed too). Or, it could be a purity/traditional thing. There are still states that don't allow mechanical broad heads or scopes on muzzle loaders. Change come slowly when old fuddy-duddies are left in charge.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    It's probably a leftover from P&Y or something like that. They don't allow electronics on archery tackle. I believe they just recently started allowing lighted nocks in conjunction with kills, but nothing else(unless that's changed too). Or, it could be a purity/traditional thing. There are still states that don't allow mechanical broad heads or scopes on muzzle loaders. Change come slowly when old fuddy-duddies are left in charge.

Yeah, but the lighted nock does not give the hunter an advantage. None what so ever.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Racer--here is a photo from yesterday. It's hard to get good pictures because she is always moving. I caught her "slowed down" for a moment. She's now 55 pounds and completed her first training blood track recently. She was a natural once she realized what I was asking her to do.

I'll take her on future tracks for sure. It was too hot to keep her in the truck while I hunted on Saturday. Since I was able to find the deer easily, I didn't bother with going all the way home to get her.

If anyone on here wants to contact me in the event of a wounded deer that I could help track, please feel free. I'd rather we communicate before you actually wound a deer so that we have each other's phone numbers, etc.

She is a beautiful pup! When it gets cooler,she can stay in the truck for sure.

Rhino

Dec 6, 2008
    Mount Airy
    Well Mrs. Rhino took out her new crossbow and drew first blood this evening. Dropped a doe she happily agreed was a little bigger than mine from Saturday. Here is a shot of the entrance wound, any guess what broad head she uses?

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      164.9 KB · Views: 641

dapefley

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Hughesville MD
    Beautiful shots on all and some nice mature deer taken too. I just went out for the first time this evening and made a huge rookie mistake. Didn't stand as soon as I saw the deer coming in, and by the time I did stand, they caught me and took off. Luckily, my "spot" is 40 yards from my back door, so not too worried. I did miss out on a monster of an 8 pointer though. At least it seemed that way to me. Either way, I can't wait to get back out there.

elind

Dec 22, 2013
    Fort Meade
    Well Mrs. Rhino took out her new crossbow and drew first blood this evening. Dropped a doe she happily agreed was a little bigger than mine from Saturday. Here is a shot of the entrance wound, any guess what broad head she uses?
    Ima say a toxic broad head, that's pretty sweet.

Rhino

Dec 6, 2008
    Mount Airy
    Ima say a toxic broad head, that's pretty sweet.

Yup. Although I tried to explain the history and effectiveness I have had with spitfires, she chose the toxics because they were pink to match her Muddy Girl camp TenPoint. :whack:

That being said I must say that what I saw last night was impressive. The shot went through the middle of the liver. The doe only made it about 50 yards and within 10-15 seconds of being hit, she crashed to the ground dead. I've had deer like that go hundreds of yards and take an hour or more to die.

Doofy_13

Dec 20, 2015
    Sykesville
    The shot went through the middle of the liver. The doe only made it about 50 yards and within 10-15 seconds of being hit, she crashed to the ground dead. I've had deer like that go hundreds of yards and take an hour or more to die.

Ive had two liver shot experiences. Both hunched their back and hobbled about 20 yards and just stood there until they either laid down or fell over. First was with a muzzy three blade. It stood there for about 10 minutes. The second was with a Magnus Stinger. That deer stood there for 30 minutes before finally crashing.

Always a gritty mess inside with those liver shots.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Prob right...Muzzleloader rules are a little goofy too. We also cant use expandable broadheads...

Wasn't too hard to find. I do not agree with any part of their ruling/law, but it's their game and we're just players.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/shooting-down-rumors-about-lighted-nocks-and-expandable-broadheads
    yep...still dumb laws IMO....I never used the lighted nocs but I dont see how it would prove anymore of an advantage other than possibly helping find game. Most of my arrows have passed through the animal anyhow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom