• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mckraut

Apr 14, 2009
    Abingdon, MD
    I think its a fallfish....we catch quite a few while fishing for trout on the Gunpowder

I think you're right! I looked up both golden shiners and fallfish and I'm pretty sure it's the latter. Originally I thought it was a trout due to the profile, but quickly realized I was very wrong.

Has anyone fished the waters off of James Run Road in Bel Air, near the quarry? I've heard it mentioned on other sites, but I can't tell if people are fishing that large pond, the small one, the stream or the water down in the quarry itself (no idea if you can even get there).

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I think you're right! I looked up both golden shiners and fallfish and I'm pretty sure it's the latter. Originally I thought it was a trout due to the profile, but quickly realized I was very wrong.

Has anyone fished the waters off of James Run Road in Bel Air, near the quarry? I've heard it mentioned on other sites, but I can't tell if people are fishing that large pond, the small one, the stream or the water down in the quarry itself (no idea if you can even get there).

How did you quickly realize you were wrong?

Looks like this to me...
    Wild-Brown-Trout.jpg

Doesn't look like this at all.
    fallfish.jpg

mckraut

Apr 14, 2009
    Abingdon, MD
    How did you quickly realize you were wrong?

Looks like this to me...
    Wild-Brown-Trout.jpg

Doesn't look like this at all.
    fallfish.jpg
    Go back and re-read my last few posts and the replies from shady and rem. I was talking about my second fish that I wasn't able to properly identify, not CPC's trout.

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    How do you get a cricket to stay on a hook? And I guess you'd need a sinker? Or do they snatch then off the surface?

Hook them under their collar/ shell. Small float and a small split- shot. I used to buy them live from petsmart.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Go back and re-read my last few posts and the replies from shady and rem. I was talking about my second fish that I wasn't able to properly identify, not CPC's trout.

Oh, my bad. I thought it was an ongoing discussion about the picture of his fish. That's what happens when viewing threads with large pictures on a phone :whack:

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes

Yeah, it's a fallfish....I see the mouth better looking at the picture. Anyway, fish James Run off hooker mill rd under the bridge and downstream. Lots of smallmouth, fallfish, redbreast and green sunfish.

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011

No problem. I usually fish the Choptank for croaker, but with all of the rain this year many parts of the middle bay are too fresh at the moment. The lower bay has been pretty good so far. Need a bit of drought to increase the salt content.

Last edited:

mckraut

Apr 14, 2009
    Abingdon, MD
    Yeah, it's a fallfish....I see the mouth better looking at the picture. Anyway, fish James Run off hooker mill rd under the bridge and downstream. Lots of smallmouth, fallfish, redbreast and green sunfish.

So the body of water I was talking about is near the intersection of Route 136 and James Run Road in Bel Air, which is next to the Lafarge Quarry. The best parking location is roughly 39.525217, -76.257124

I visited this weekend and saw a monster largemouth, but only caught his little brother. I also snagged a medium bluegill but saw plenty of other fish as well. The sides are very steep but there are a few places that you can cast from. According to a few other sites, I understand people take kayaks in as well. I plan to visit again soon to try my luck again.

Has anyone else been over there?

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    Spent last week in Corolla, NC. (OBX) Hit the surf a few days and caught kingfish, spot, and croaker. Had something jump on one of my poles and take off. Cut my line after about 5 secs. Most likely a shark, but could have been a nice Red...

Also spent some time inshore fishing. Was slow but landed a few flounder, blues, and speckled trout. None keepers, but fun none the less.
    I'm going down to Topsail, NC in a few weeks. I hope there's still some activity in the surf when we get there. It seems like this is the year for surf fishing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Soooo, just got back from browsing Cabela's in DE. Picked up a few mags and a coat for my wife. Browsed the fishing section and I am more confused than ever. Waaaaaay too much stuff :omg:

mckraut

Apr 14, 2009
    Abingdon, MD
    The thread got too quiet folks.

I've been having a good time bassfishing the aforementioned quarry off of James Run Road. Haven't snagged any monsters, but the numbers have been good. It's well worth a look.

Recently son and I visited Fisherman's Park and were in awe of those guys throwing huge surfcasting rods and pulling out stripers. Does anyone fish that area and have tips? I've done some looking at other forums and it appears that an 8'-10' surf road is suggested, with around a 17lb line. I'm just looking for suggestions on what sort of tackle/bait I should be using for stripers or other fish. I don't currently have a rod that big or line that tough. My biggest rod is only 6.5' and the reel will only handle 10lb line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom