• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acwatkins

Aug 29, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Went to a buddys in NOVA for the weekend. Took my kayaks and fished pohick bay during the day then back out on his boat for cats at night. Here are our bests. Me with a 14lb cat and him with a 5lb bass.

IMG_1404.jpg

IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1406.jpg

IMG_1399.jpg

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    The fish were in a frenzy in the Lower Potomac over the weekend. It was exciting to see all the little sections of turbulent water where fish are spawning/schooling up. Near the shore, I could stand in the water and let the minnows collect around me, then watch as slightly larger fish ravaged the groups of minnows. It was awesome. It was even better to watch some sharks spawn/do whatever they were doing with each other up on the surface, then break off to gobble up some of the schooled up little fish. I was so glad to have a witness out on the boat with me--last year I'm certain I hooked a bull shark but wasn't able to land it because I didn't have a large enough net and the line broke...and no one believed me!

It seems I could have caught basically as many croakers and white perch as I wanted to as the tide came up both days. I started out with chicken and night crawlers and didn't catch anything. Once I switched to blood worms, it was on. My line was never in the water more than 3 minutes before a croaker or perch bit a blood worm. I fished until I ran out of bait. Between my dad and I, we must have caught 50 fish in 2 hours on Saturday. We kept the 10 largest croakers and smoked them on a Green Egg. I put a little paste of orange juice, mustard and Old Bay on them before smoking them at 180 degrees for 30 minutes. That was one of the best things I've ever eaten.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I might fish the Potomac near Mt. Vernon if possible. Last time I fished there I tore it up just using night crawlers and a 2oz weight. I caught about a dozen yellow and white perch, 20 catfish and a HUGE carp. On the downside, I caught 5 or so eels. I hate dealing with those slimy things.

Sampson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 24, 2013
    White Marsh
    Went out of Queen Anne marina on Monday, on the Net Profits. We trolled from 6:30-12:30 along the shipping channel below the Bay bridge.
    12 people caught 18 keepers. 2 were 33". Probably threw back 20 or more that were 16" -19". Here is an early cooler pic.

Attachments

• IMG_1519.JPG
      IMG_1519.JPG
      39.1 KB · Views: 302

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I landed 2 bass, 2 pounds each give or take. Lost 2, had three misses. Leesylvania State Park on the Potomac.

ETA I put a more detailed version of the above on the Virginia Outdoors Forum. I got a reply back saying I did better from shore than most of the guys on boats out there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom