• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    If a new DINO wants to run for office, just do what the current politicians do: lie.

Say you'll protect the environment, help the middle class, lower taxes and get guns off the street. Our elected officials tell us they "support 2A rights, but....<insert "common sense" here>"

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    There are a number of folks on the board chatting about running.

Think about what it involves before you do anything more than think about it.

First, if you win, you will be in Annapolis 24/7 for about 4 months of the year. For the other 8 months you will be attending every chicken dinner and BBQ for every organization in your district. Often 3 or 4 per day each weekend day.

You can't do this and hold down a regular job. It pretty much requires you to be either retired or self-employed in something you can walk away from for months at a time each winter.

Second, if you have anything at all in your background, expect it to become a public campaign issue.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    There are a number of folks on the board chatting about running.

Think about what it involves before you do anything more than think about it.

First, if you win, you will be in Annapolis 24/7 for about 4 months of the year. For the other 8 months you will be attending every chicken dinner and BBQ for every organization in your district. Often 3 or 4 per day each weekend day.

You can't do this and hold down a regular job. It pretty much requires you to be either retired or self-employed in something you can walk away from for months at a time each winter.

Second, if you have anything at all in your background, expect it to become a public campaign issue.

+1, this is why I cannot run. I have two small kids, 2.5 and 1.5 yo and they are a ton of work. I just can't dump that on my.wife.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    I am not a politician, but follow it.

Here is how bad MD is. It is easiest to see it in the MD Senate:

http://www.elections.state.md.us/elections/2010/results/General/StateResults_office_015.html

By my count, 13 of 47 seats had Dems running unopposed by any Rep candidate. Clearly it is the Dem side that is most vulnerable to being arm twisted by the machine. And the Reps cannot even field a candidate in 28% of the districts.

To be fair and clear, 2 Reps ran unopposed.

4 Dems won in tight races. These are weak seats.

http://www.elections.state.md.us/elections/2010/results/General/StateResults_office_016.html

The House is harder to analyze.

But it appears there are numerous districts where a list of Rep candidates split the Rep vote, where perhaps a single Rep candidate just might have had a shot of being elected.

But that logic may be flawed. There were a few districts where a single Rep lost to a field of 3 Dems.

There were 8 districts with no Rep candidates.

I count 10 seats where Dems won in tight races.

I am no pro at this. But it seems to me in some districts a Rep against a Dem has the best shot, and in others the better chance is to run as a Dem and get the job done in the primary.

In a perfect world, we need a good Dem and a good Rep to make it to the general election race.

These elections are in the off years. Voter turnout is very light. A few votes can make a world of difference. Name recognition is key, and in heavily Dem districts you just have to run as a Dem to have any shot due to the numbers who will just vote party.

State level races have small budgets. $10k - $15k isn't unusual. $50k is big money. Money focused on a handful of races can make a big difference.

More than that, active supporters waving signs at key intersections at rush hour ... troops on the ground ... can do a lot to get the word out.

It can be done.

This is a public forum. It is no secret what we want to do. And their opposition research will easily infer our likely strategy. I think details should be avoided here.
    They have been put on notice, I do not think there is anything to be gained by being specific,and it will leak information.

Just a thought..

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    "This is a public forum. It is no secret what we want to do. And their opposition research will easily infer our likely strategy. I think details should be avoided here.
    They have been put on notice, I do not think there is anything to be gained by being specific,and it will leak information.

Just a thought.. "

And a good thought if something beyond Politics 101 is at issue.

In this case, the intent is to do nothing more than lay out what is involved for those unfamiliar with the topic. Nothing at all secret about anything in this thread that anyone wouldn't lay out on a cocktail napkin over the first round of beer.

Stormin' Norman laid out his Kuwait strategy in a press conference before action began. Iraq could have backed up in time. The Dems can back up if they so choose before the real votes ahead, if they choose. They won't, but that is their choice to make. But it does not hurt anything to say there are people with serious intent, money, patience, and dedication to pursue a response to what is happening.

The battle is won on the ground, anyway. Good candidates willing to serve. Good campaigns. Not in message board dreams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom