• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    I am not a politician, but follow it.

Here is how bad MD is. It is easiest to see it in the MD Senate:

http://www.elections.state.md.us/elections/2010/results/General/StateResults_office_015.html

By my count, 13 of 47 seats had Dems running unopposed by any Rep candidate. Clearly it is the Dem side that is most vulnerable to being arm twisted by the machine. And the Reps cannot even field a candidate in 28% of the districts.

To be fair and clear, 2 Reps ran unopposed.

4 Dems won in tight races. These are weak seats.

http://www.elections.state.md.us/elections/2010/results/General/StateResults_office_016.html

The House is harder to analyze.

But it appears there are numerous districts where a list of Rep candidates split the Rep vote, where perhaps a single Rep candidate just might have had a shot of being elected.

But that logic may be flawed. There were a few districts where a single Rep lost to a field of 3 Dems.

There were 8 districts with no Rep candidates.

I count 10 seats where Dems won in tight races.

I am no pro at this. But it seems to me in some districts a Rep against a Dem has the best shot, and in others the better chance is to run as a Dem and get the job done in the primary.

In a perfect world, we need a good Dem and a good Rep to make it to the general election race.

These elections are in the off years. Voter turnout is very light. A few votes can make a world of difference. Name recognition is key, and in heavily Dem districts you just have to run as a Dem to have any shot due to the numbers who will just vote party.

State level races have small budgets. $10k - $15k isn't unusual. $50k is big money. Money focused on a handful of races can make a big difference.

More than that, active supporters waving signs at key intersections at rush hour ... troops on the ground ... can do a lot to get the word out.

It can be done.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I just Emailed the results to the Tea Party Patriots state coordinator. I will host fundraisers and whatever else I can do to coordinate an all out electoral attack on the Domestic Enemies in this state.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    So, I guess tonight was a pretty big blow, and it seems like it basically sealed the deal.

There is a lot of talk about the 2014 elections. Is it too soon to start talking about what needs to happen to try and run candidates? I see A LOT of posts about people willing to put up SERIOUS MONEY to support said candidates and offer services to help them out (I have seen at lease three, including myself, offer free IT). There are even a few posts with people saying they are willing to run against these assholes.

I mean, even if by some crazy ass chance this train wreck of a bill is derailed, we still need to look ahead to 2014 and what we can do. I almost feel like all people interested in running and helping need to sit down physically to discuss it.

One question that I have is how does one even get on the primary ballot? Doesn't the democratic party have to sign off on it or something? I am not interested in running, but I can supply IT advice/hosting/services.

I am not saying candidates in 2014 need to be a collective force, but if we can help each other out, I think we need to get the ball rolling. THere is a lot of talent here that should not be wasted, and collaboration is key...

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    I just Emailed the results to the Tea Party Patriots state coordinator. I will host fundraisers and whatever else I can do to coordinate an all out electoral attack on the Domestic Enemies in this state.

Wonderful idea.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    I know there are some existing political PACs, but will there be one officially supported by MSI/MDS that we can send money to when the time is right?

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Today sucked, clearly. It's not over, however. Time remains on our side. It'll be special ordered until Tuesday and then the real fun begins. Amendments out the ass, debate, etc. Gotta run out the clock.

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    I know there are some existing political PACs, but will there be one officially supported by MSI/MDS that we can send money to when the time is right?

When I suggested that need the other day, one of our members jumped on the idea and said he had begun working on it.

It isn't clear to me whether under the law MSI or MDS could directly support or even encourage that. I am no lawyer, but think I read somewhere about legal separation of lobby organizations and PAC's.

We need to do this right. We have about a year to organize and be ready, or perhaps a bit more. But the time will pass quickly, and so will the energy. Many will just move on in life. It will take patience and determination by the steadfast.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    We need to make all Tea Party-type people aware of the DINO movement.

If I could make the jump, anyone can!!

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I am seriously considering running. I'm 21 (min age for HoD). But my district is heavily Republican so I need to move.

fire_medic

Nov 16, 2008
    Calvert County
    I was in Annapolis today/tonight and will help where I can. Thought of doing the DINO thing but I live in a District where O'Donnell (R) is my rep. My Senator is Dyson (D) so I am split. I will help where I can mostly manpower.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Today sucked, clearly. It's not over, however. Time remains on our side. It'll be special ordered until Tuesday and then the real fun begins. Amendments out the ass, debate, etc. Gotta run out the clock.

Don't forget, they can change the clock! The thieves have done it before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom