• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    Anyone from MDS signing up or has already signed up for the 2012 potomac snakehead fishing tournament June 2nd - 3rd? Night fishing! Complete with lessons on how to prepare snakehead etc!

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    The tournament is open to anyone with a valid Maryland or Virginia Fishing license

That and in addition to an entry fee...... yeah, that will cut their numbers back. :sad20: Great that you're doing it but it's not going to be over crowded I bet.

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    Agreed. I am all for going after the invasive species but that entry fee seems a little steep. I think DNR is already getting the word out to kill every one of the snakehead you catch. The also have a program where you take a picture of the kill and send it to DNR for a chance at a weekly prize.

travismxi

Nov 14, 2010
    From what i understand majority of guys bow fish for them. i didnt fish it in the past but am going to this year. Here in charles county we bowfish at night for alligator gar, snakehead, carp or any other species that is invasive/not needed. Its alot of fun and recommend to enter it if you can. Plus the snakeheads are great to eat. They taste alot like rockfish.

tmich05

May 11, 2012
    I was there last year and it was an awesome event. We didnt win any money but definitely got or registration back between the free food and beer plus the awesome door prizes. Every participant got something and most of the items were worth quite a bit even up to $100 bucks. I'd do it again for sure, one of the best tourneys I've been too. Its not hosted by DNR but they were there at the beginning to show proper killing techniques. Plus I heard from the guys running it top prize this year is going to be $1000 bucks!

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    Is it just me, or does the snake head logo look eerily similar to the Thundercats?
    pst.jpg

Thundercats%20image.jpg

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Nobody knows what effect "Snakeheads" will have in the long run. As fast as they are spreading there hasn't been any effect on other species according to Natural Resource Department. I know people who say they are very good to eat, and target them. So I would say this is all about someone making a buck, nothing else.

ride4frnt

Jun 18, 2011
    Clear Spring
    I fish them exactly like I fish bass. They eat anything a bass will. Mainly topwater and shallow divers. Flukes, chatterbaits, and poppers/frogs. Caught 3 heads on Sunday, a long nosed gar, 3 bass and a flathead cat. All on bass lures. I'll post pics of the heads later this evening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom