• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    Well, I shot my first match today...

Let's just say that the leaders were not threatened... :o

I did pretty well shooting prone (for the first time ever). My 5 "sight in shots" were 2 9's 2 8's and a 10!). But, I soon faded. I finished with a 69.

From there, the bottom fell out. :tdown:

Off hand, I officially suck! I need LOTS of practice, as I really had never shot my Garand off hand.

That said, I had a blast! I will certainly practice up for the next match. I see where my weaknesses are and I'll work on them...

Jamie

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Oh, come on, there were a few trick shots in that match. Not just that people have been hitting the X a few times, we had someone skip a round on the ground and into the target :innocent0

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    I was hoping to get out today and shoot but I had a picnic for my office scheduled today and I could not make both. Hopefully October will work out for me.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    I heard rumors of that happening...

Well, I happened to be scoring lane 7 on the third string (offhand) and there was one of the .30 cal spitzer projectiles that went through the target sideways.... you could hear that impact on the berm first and then the nice sound of the bullet spinning. Hell, there was even a slightly bent tip visible on the impact.
    Now, together with the shooter we concluded that it could definately not have been him and we are still looking for who scored the 6 on the target. I don't think the mystery guy who managed this feat will ever be found, though.
    :D

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    One shot hit the dirt above the pits, and sent dirt falling onto my head. No hole in the target, though. That was position 4.

Nice meeting you, Boule. I'm sorry I didn't meet JMintzer, though. I'm glad you had a good time, Jamie, and maybe we'll meet up October 8.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    Well, I happened to be scoring lane 7 on the third string (offhand) and there was one of the .30 cal spitzer projectiles that went through the target sideways.... you could hear that impact on the berm first and then the nice sound of the bullet spinning. Hell, there was even a slightly bent tip visible on the impact.
    Now, together with the shooter we concluded that it could definately not have been him and we are still looking for who scored the 6 on the target. I don't think the mystery guy who managed this feat will ever be found, though.
    :D

A 6 is a 6 is a 6... :D

Just like when you skull a shot out of the sand trap and it catches the lip on the way out and pops up in the air. Instead of sailing 20 yds over the green, it lands 2 feet away from the hole.

Sometimes, it's better to be lucky than good...:lol2:

Jamie

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    One shot hit the dirt above the pits, and sent dirt falling onto my head. No hole in the target, though. That was position 4.

Nice meeting you, Boule. I'm sorry I didn't meet JMintzer, though. I'm glad you had a good time, Jamie, and maybe we'll meet up October 8.

Same thing happened to us, when we were in the pit. But in lane 8. I didn't hear anything different, just saw the shower of dirt...

Jamie

Imperial Pose

Feb 9, 2008
    Columbia
    I want to thank everyone for the excellent turnout!
    It was good to see some veterans getting back into the sport and new folks gaining experience.

It was inspiring for me to see our Wounded Warrior guest Michael, recently coming off his 13th surgery, still tough it out and complete the course of fire. :thumbsup:

Enjoy the summer see you in October.

Dennis

dancnr

Jul 27, 2011
    Washington County
    Just out of curiosity what do most people shoot at these events? I'm going to try and go and I was thinking of using my garand but I have some other eligible rifles and was just curious if it was mostly garands at these or a good mix.

Keystone

May 29, 2009
    Garands and 03 Springfields are probably the most commonly used.

Other rifles I have seen on the line include various flavors of Mausers and Moisin-Nagants, K31's, SMLE's, M1917's and P14's, Krags, etc.

I have even seen a Ross rifle and a trapdoor used.

Generally the match is won by the best shooter using whatever rifle he happened to bring that day.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    This is why I'm thinking about shooting something different this match. My garands, 03's, P17 etc get a lot of use at CMP matches, might bring out a mauser.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    This really is an opportunity to shoot something different. It's all slow fire, so semi-auto offers no advantage. In fact, this is one match where a single shot, like a Trapdoor or Martini could really show its stuff.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    Just out of curiosity what do most people shoot at these events? I'm going to try and go and I was thinking of using my garand but I have some other eligible rifles and was just curious if it was mostly garands at these or a good mix.

Garands and 03 Springfields are probably the most commonly used.

Other rifles I have seen on the line include various flavors of Mausers and Moisin-Nagants, K31's, SMLE's, M1917's and P14's, Krags, etc.

I have even seen a Ross rifle and a trapdoor used.

Generally the match is won by the best shooter using whatever rifle he happened to bring that day.

Agreed. At my last match, the winner was in the next lane, shooting a Mosin Nagant. He was champion Navy Sniper. Like I ever stood a chance... :o

Jamie

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom