• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SeniorArmorNCO

Avid Shooter since 1967
    Mar 23, 2013
    Clinton, MS
    Here are the two latest. I drive right by CMP Anniston at least twice a month. Always end up getting something.

Top one is a '42 Service Grade. All Springfield, all matching, Rebarreled at Letterkenny in '53. Bottom one is a '43 Rack Grade, was a "Lend Lease" because it has the PB trigger housing (According to Mike the MA there). But both measure Service Grade at 1 and 3. So bottom is rack grade stock with SG throat and muzzle measurements.

dsc_0091_zpsa74280be.jpg

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    There are some great rack grades out there.

I lucked out finding a 1/43 with matching barrel and a handful of WWII parts at the north store barrel measuring 2/3.

SeniorArmorNCO

Avid Shooter since 1967
    Mar 23, 2013
    Clinton, MS
    Holy crap that is a nice rack grade.

Yep, when you get to pick them out yourself, there are always good ones. I have pulled three rack grades that had 1 and 2 readings. Leon (one of the Master Armorers there) checked it out because the tag had 1 and 3, well I always grab a set of gauges and check myself. It measured 1 and 2 and he took a look at it and the barrel was nearly new, same readings as a special grade. They do that all the time, go through so many rifles that they do a quick reading and tag it. Throw it on the rack. Best to always grab a set of gauges from the MA's and do the measurements yourself.

Brads

Jan 31, 2013
    Harwood
    m1 grand

Been looking for a m1 grand on this site for months.Does any one know someone looking to sell one? Don't want to order one off a site and not put my hands on it first.I missed out on antique show in Timonium.I do want matching number and in good shape.I dont want to spend 4 or 5k like I have seen on gun broker and guns america

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Call Fulton Armory near Rt1 & Rt 32.
    Also try calling Christian Soldier guns up near White Marsh.

SeniorArmorNCO

Avid Shooter since 1967
    Mar 23, 2013
    Clinton, MS
    There is only 1 model Garand out there worth anywhere near 4K and those are the M1D's with matching numbers and Camp Perry National Match Barrels. They run around 2500 at CMP. I wouldnt give 4000 for any 6 Garands unless they were M1D's or CMP Specials (Then Ill take 5). I go to these shows and see those prices and just laugh. Its ridiculous. People think its so hard to buy from CMP or they arent qualified, people think they need to be a member of an affiliated club or hold a military ID (Which is what I use) or something. Many dont know about what are called "Special Affiliates". Member of VFW or American Legion? You qualify. NRA member? You qualify for sales. There are a ton of them, just have to look up "Special Affiliates". I was at the York, PA show early last month, guy had a bunch of rack grades at 1400 and up. Some of the stocks and parts must have come from 14 different rifles. No thanks.

Talked to Mike a short while ago and yes they are backed up on mail order sales by 12,000. So instead of getting your rifle in 3 days, you'll get it in 4 weeks or so. Save a grand and just pay CMP their 525 + $25 shipping.

Dont know what the law says about it in MD, but if you can order a gun from Buds you can order one from CMP. At least until they pass more stupid laws (CMP no longer ships to NY).

Brads

Jan 31, 2013
    Harwood
    Looking for a correct grade Springfield m1. Just don't want to go though all that cmp wants people to do to get there hands on one of their m1. I am some what impatient and dont want to wait weeks or more for back orders.Someone also said that they may not be selling Springfield at cmp do to lack of supply? Don't know the truth just what I heard.If you have some thing like I may want p.m me

SeniorArmorNCO

Avid Shooter since 1967
    Mar 23, 2013
    Clinton, MS
    Looking for a correct grade Springfield m1. Just don't want to go though all that cmp wants people to do to get there hands on one of their m1. I am some what impatient and dont want to wait weeks or more for back orders.Someone also said that they may not be selling Springfield at cmp do to lack of supply? Don't know the truth just what I heard.If you have some thing like I may want p.m me

Another misconception. Print out the couple of forms. Takes about 15 minutes. Make a copy of your ID. Send it in with payment. Wait for gun. Simple.

Brads

Jan 31, 2013
    Harwood
    Didn't know that.After looking at their site and looking other sites.That was the condition that I wanted.I guess we can all dream.Maybe I will hit the power ball tonight and wont have to worry things

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Next best thing would be a service grade special. Then just hunt down a correct stock and you have a rifle that is essentially a collector grade. Though will not have collector vrade paperwork.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Its pretty easy. If not prior military or law enforcement or part of some of the local shooting clubs. Garand collectors association is only 30 a year and is well worth it.

SeniorArmorNCO

Avid Shooter since 1967
    Mar 23, 2013
    Clinton, MS
    Joining an affiliated club is the standard way (The old way and only way back then). Now, if your military, including NG or retired, NRA member, Law Enforcement or retired Law Enforcement, VFW, AL, DAV, MCL, etc, member of a professional law enforcement organization like FOP, NAPO, NSA, etc and more you can buy a rifle from CMP.

Simplest way to find out, call CMP (If Anniston), ask for Mike or Leon and ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom