• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Been looking for awhile and finally came across one that checked most of the boxes.

1. I wanted a 1939-1944, ideally a 1941, the year the Germans invaded Russia in Operation Barbarossa. This one is a 1941 Tula model.
    2. Not refinished - this one is not. Not much of the finish is left but it has not been refinished.
    3. No added safety - this one doesn't
    4. Not import marked - this one is not.
    5. Numbers Matching - the frame, slide and barrel on this one all match - the magazine does not.
    6. Original, serviceable CCCP grips - this one has them and although they show heavy wear, they are not cracked or chipped.

I like to have the ancillary gear that was issued with them so I had to track down a holster for it.

Found one in the Ukraine - a RKKA Ersatz, universal for TT and Nagant, The flap is stamped "Factory of leather goods NKLP USSR, Moscow, 1944".

Their ad had the following notice under shipping "WE ARE AT WAR, THIS MAY AFFECT SHIPPING TIME ESTIMATES" - got to respect their tenacity.

The gun has came in and is on it's 7-day hold. It actually looks better than in this picture.

The holster with the cleaning rod is in Kiev, Ukraine the last time shipping was updated.

The second WWII Tula magazine I found came in yesterday as did a box of 7.65 X 25 from Midway.

Once it is all home, I will share a pic of the complete rig on here.

Screen Shot 2023-09-29 at 6.27.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-29 at 6.22.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-29 at 6.21.46 PM.png

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    We think alike. This is the only Tokarev I would consider adding to the museum. I've always preferred a bing-back over the poor imports that had to be modified in order to enter the country. I imagine you already know just how expensive these Tok bring-backs are these days.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    We think alike. This is the only Tokarev I would consider adding to the museum. I've always preferred a bing-back over the poor imports that had to be modified in order to enter the country. I imagine you already know just how expensive these Tok bring-backs are these days.
    We do. I have looked for awhile. This was listed on an auction site with a starting bid that was a little unrealistic. About the third time he re-listed it, I emailed him directly and made a cash offer well below his opening bid. I was kinda surprised he took it - after talking with him on the phone, I’m fairly confident he didn’t know what he had. My want list is now down to a Third Reich Police PPK and a 1939-1942 P.08. The P.08 I am holding out for an all matching, complete rig - holster, tool, and gun. Fishing season is winding down and that’s how I finance my WWII collection so it may have to wait until next year.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Very cool! How did you track this down? I have a few east European Toks and several hundred rounds of Bulgarian corrosive 7.62 x 25 mm ammo. But I would really like to know how to find an original Soviet Tok. Appreciate any information \.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Very cool! How did you track this down? I have a few east European Toks and several hundred rounds of Bulgarian corrosive 7.62 x 25 mm ammo. But I would really like to know how to find an original Soviet Tok. Appreciate any information \.
    Stalked several auction and antique dealers websites. It was listed on an auction site over and over with no bids because his opening bid price was too high. I emailed him directly and negotiated a more realistic price. Having said that, it took months to find. Pre98 antiques had a super nice one with holster listed awhile back. It was priced at the top of the market and I hesitated. It was sold the next day when I decided I’d buy it any way.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    With as common as a Soviet Mosin is, its interesting how of all the major WWII powers, this is the near-unobtainium out there as far as WWII pistols.
    Congrats.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    And the 7.62 Tokarev is an impressive round with a nice fireball, muzzle velocities around 1300-1400 fps are very impressive. But that Russian Tok is too rare to shoot much.

The design of the Tokarev is unique. From the trigger to the cutouts on the slide and the rounded trigger, it is extraordinary. Congratulations on a really valuable find.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    If I had that Russian I'd find a cheap Romanian or Yugo if I had a hankering to shoot a lot.
    Speaking of Tokarev ammo - availability can be hit or miss. Looks like some PPU is currently in the pipeline.
    If you plan to reload buy more than you think you'll need because the empties are launched quite a distance to the rear. At least that is the case with my Yugo M57s. I found brass in the grass 30 feet behind the firing line. It was a chore to find the brass so I could reload it.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Ah David Rachwal, he's one of my adversaries on the auction circuit. Though as of late I haven't seen him bidding much. Perhaps he managed to score a large collection or two to fill his inventory. I'm certain you saw his 1940 dated T-33 rig. Super clean with a price to match. He does have a good eye.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Ah David Rachwal, he's one of my adversaries on the auction circuit. Though as of late I haven't seen him bidding much. Perhaps he managed to score a large collection or two to fill his inventory. I'm certain you saw his 1940 dated T-33 rig. Super clean with a price to match. He does have a good eye.
    Had that 1940 TT-33 rig been available when I was looking, I'd have bought .... but that's just my luck, lol.

Hope you and your family have a good and safe Thanksgiving.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Your collection is absolutely fascinating.

I always found it interesting how the Russians arrived at similar engineering destinations through entirely different paths than Western engineers. Some of it was espionage and some of it was their own ideas.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Your collection is absolutely fascinating.

I always found it interesting how the Russians arrived at similar engineering destinations through entirely different paths than Western engineers. Some of it was espionage and some of it was their own ideas.
    Thanks! It's a work in progress - the next on my list is a Third Reich Police PPK - I would like to find a complete rig with grips that aren't cracked.

Where do you get ammo for it?
    Midway had some.

And the same to you and yours!
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    congrats! I was eyeballing that for my 1940 TT-33 but it wasn't high enough on the priority list at the moment...
    I wasn't really looking for one - I bought one awhile back but it is identical to the one I have for my M1895 and I wanted something a little different. I try to avoid even looking at some websites because I know if I do, there is a very good chance I'm gonna end up buying something.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I've been kicking myself for over 10 years now, for passing up a Russian TT33 at the old Kensington Engage. It was like $550, but I had no idea what it was at the time. WWII era, wood grip panels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom