• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    You don't need a C&R to inherit it and I'm very doubtful you'll need to go through a Type 01 FFL. Search the Web for information or wait for one of our resident lawyers to weigh in.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Where is the gun???? If the handgun is in MD, then a C&R will not do you much good.

Now you use the word "inherit". Did your grandfather pass away and leave you the handgun in his will? Or, is he being generous and giving you his gun before he passes?

If your grandfather passed away and the gun is given to you in his will, contact the local MSP barracks and verify that you can get the handgun with no $10 fee and that the forms are a formality.

Sev

"Vern"
    Mar 18, 2010
    formerly silver spring
    Where is the gun???? If the handgun is in MD, then a C&R will not do you much good.

Now you use the word "inherit". Did your grandfather pass away and leave you the handgun in his will? Or, is he being generous and giving you his gun before he passes?

If your grandfather passed away and the gun is given to you in his will, contact the local MSP barracks and verify that you can get the handgun with no $10 fee and that the forms are a formality.

The gun is in New Jersey, specifically Jersey City.
    He has not passed away thankfully, but he is being generous and giving it to me

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Not sure how things work in NJ, acquiring a handgun with a C&R, since NJ doesn't like anything but their own rules. It may have to go from a 01 FFL in NJ to a MD 01 FFL.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    If granpa is a Jersey resident and you're a Maryland resident (without 03 C&R), it'll need to go from NJ dealer shipped to MD dealer and through the normal MD process.

jindodog

Sep 29, 2007
    Chester
    What Lou said. Even if the Md. resident has a C&R it would still have to go through a NJ 01 FFL. I just went through that with a recent purchase.

Sev

"Vern"
    Mar 18, 2010
    formerly silver spring
    If you tell the story, the folks involved will probably cut you a break on transfer fees.

Who's your "usual" FFL in Maryland?

Sorry for the delay i've been in Philly for a few days
    My usual is 2a sales.
    And yeah i figured I'd have to go through a dealer in New Jersey to get to Maryland.
    It's just going to be a bit involved for him, since he doesn't really know the process or how to do a transfer in Jersey. I also dont think he has an FFL he goes to anymore

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Sev, I hate to ask this, but is the gun 100% legal in NJ? I don't know how old your grandfather is and does he have a valid NJ permit?? Don't want the NJ SP waiting for him because he wasn't up on all of their rules.

Now if the guy has everything dialed in, excuse me for my post.

Sev

"Vern"
    Mar 18, 2010
    formerly silver spring
    Sev, I hate to ask this, but is the gun 100% legal in NJ? I don't know how old your grandfather is and does he have a valid NJ permit?? Don't want the NJ SP waiting for him because he wasn't up on all of their rules.

Now if the guy has everything dialed in, excuse me for my post.

As far as I know, he does. I've seen valid permits for his other pistols, so I believe he's good to go on this one

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom