• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • markc

Apr 9, 2011
    I just bought and picked up a Rock Island Armory 1911 Tactical from Engage Armament. I also got a Tactical Solutions 2211 Conversion Kit. (Shout out to Andy. :thumbsup:)

There are two threads in The Depot about maintenance, but I was hoping y'all could tailor it to what I would need.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=56213

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=63098

Specifically, what do I need to get for going to the range and then cleaning afterwards. (i.e. eye protection, hearing protection, magazines, ammunition, etc)

Thanks ahead of time.

Attachments

• IMG_20110820_145347.jpg
      IMG_20110820_145347.jpg
      39 KB · Views: 463
    • IMG_20110820_151002.jpg
      IMG_20110820_151002.jpg
      85.9 KB · Views: 463
    • IMG_20110820_151622.jpg
      IMG_20110820_151622.jpg
      67 KB · Views: 459

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Well I don't believe the Holy Water is necessary, unless you're handloading silver bullets and carrying wooden stakes with agarlic necklace wrapped around your neck:)

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Very nice! I have the same one myself, only with different grips.

I start cleaning with MPro-7, jags and patches, ocassional brushing, until the patches come out light. I use some foaming bore cleaner, Outers, Gunslick, Breakfree, whatever's on hand, and let it set 30 min or so. Meanwhile, I wipe down the frame and slide with a paper towel, getting off what I can. I use a patch and plastic cleaning pick, with some MPo-7 to get down in the grooves and nooks. A soft nylon brush (stiff toothbrush will work) will help out a lot too. At this point, the barrel is ready for a patch or two, the foam removes any copper fouling that might be in there. I lube the inside of the barrel with Ballistol or Breakfree CLP. I lube the rails with a teflon based grease, just a dab. A light coat of Ballistol on the outside of the barrel, & guide rod, and then re-assemble.
    A drop or two of oil in a few spots and an external wipe down and I'm done.

As far as gear goes, a good range bag would be my first purchase. Midway makes a nice one, and they are on sale quite often. Eyes and ears, stapler, targets, etc will have a nice place to be stored. I don't take much maintenence/cleaning stuff to the range with me, but a Bore Snake is helpful to have during long shooting sessions, and to run through after shoooting to make home clean up even easier.

Hope this helps some.

MH

markc

Apr 9, 2011
    Very nice! I have the same one myself, only with different grips.

I start cleaning with MPro-7, jags and patches, ocassional brushing, until the patches come out light. I use some foaming bore cleaner, Outers, Gunslick, Breakfree, whatever's on hand, and let it set 30 min or so. Meanwhile, I wipe down the frame and slide with a paper towel, getting off what I can. I use a patch and plastic cleaning pick, with some MPo-7 to get down in the grooves and nooks. A soft nylon brush (stiff toothbrush will work) will help out a lot too. At this point, the barrel is ready for a patch or two, the foam removes any copper fouling that might be in there. I lube the inside of the barrel with Ballistol or Breakfree CLP. I lube the rails with a teflon based grease, just a dab. A light coat of Ballistol on the outside of the barrel, & guide rod, and then re-assemble.
    A drop or two of oil in a few spots and an external wipe down and I'm done.

As far as gear goes, a good range bag would be my first purchase. Midway makes a nice one, and they are on sale quite often. Eyes and ears, stapler, targets, etc will have a nice place to be stored. I don't take much maintenence/cleaning stuff to the range with me, but a Bore Snake is helpful to have during long shooting sessions, and to run through after shoooting to make home clean up even easier.

Hope this helps some.

MH

I ordered eyes, ears, range bag (Midway), bore snakes. Any specific recommendations on cleaning kits? Hoppes? Otis? Amazon links would be nice. Also, do you remove the barrel from the slide when using the foaming bore cleaner?

Thank you.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I ordered eyes, ears, range bag (Midway), bore snakes. Any specific recommendations on cleaning kits? Hoppes? Otis? Amazon links would be nice. Also, do you remove the barrel from the slide when using the foaming bore cleaner?

Thank you.

Cleaning Kit isnt needed for a Pistol.

Old T-Shirts for Rags (For WIpedown and Cleaning)
    2 Toothbrushes (One for Dirty Scrubbing one for Clean Scrubbing)
    Dental Picks
    Ballistol (90/10 Water Mix fo spraying down the gun to wash it off)
    Wheel Bearing Grease
    Syn Paint Brush for Applying Oil
    40-50W Motor Oil
    Wipe Out Bore Foam
    Bore Snake
    Breakfree CLP for Hard to reach Internals (Helps to get some CLP inside since Motor Oil has terrible Rust/Corrosion Prevention Properties)
    Birchwood Casey Barricde for the exterior (For Monthly Wipedowns)

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008

Thank you.

Yes, the barrel is removed during the disassembly before you start cleaning. I don't pull it apart at the range though, I just lock back the slide and run the Bore Snake through it 2-3 times. I read years ago that it's good to clean it while it's still warm from shooting, and it's become a habit with me, whether it works or not. I'll occassionally run it up through the magwell and over the feed ramp and into the barrel. Gets any fouling off the ramp right away.

I have the Otis kit, and I don't care for it. Some do, but it's not for me. I put my own kit together, a couple of pistol length rods and a Tipton brush/jag kit. (Bass Pro and Midway has them), and the cleaners and lubes that I mentioned above. I like the Pro-Shot patches (2 1/4"), but the Tipton patches work ok. The plastic picks are very important IMO, and really help to get the crud out of the tight areas. I think they are like $5 for the set. As Chad mentioned, Wipe Out foam is pretty popular, and the accelerator makes it work even quicker. To be honest, I found the other brands to work just as well for me, but Wipe Out has a pretty devoted fan base here, so they must be getting some good results from it.

I forgot to mention mags. I've used Chip McCormick Shooting Stars, CM Power Mags, ACT, & Kimber mags, all have worked well for me. Don't forget to keep them clean as well. I have 12 mags that I use for my 1911's, and I keep them in a mag pouch like this: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=174266
    It keeps them organized in my bag and ready to go.

MH

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    Cleaning Kit isnt needed for a Pistol.

Old T-Shirts for Rags (For WIpedown and Cleaning)
    2 Toothbrushes (One for Dirty Scrubbing one for Clean Scrubbing)
    Dental Picks
    Ballistol (90/10 Water Mix fo spraying down the gun to wash it off)
    Wheel Bearing Grease
    Syn Paint Brush for Applying Oil
    40-50W Motor Oil
    Wipe Out Bore Foam
    Bore Snake
    Breakfree CLP for Hard to reach Internals (Helps to get some CLP inside since Motor Oil has terrible Rust/Corrosion Prevention Properties)
    Birchwood Casey Barricde for the exterior (For Monthly Wipedowns)

What would be great Clandestine, is if you did a video using your specified cleaning materials and a field strip of a 1911. It would be much appreciated! :thumbsup:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    What would be great Clandestine, is if you did a video using your specified cleaning materials and a field strip of a 1911. It would be much appreciated! :thumbsup:

I may be able to do that but it will take me awhile to get around to it. I travel so much I rearely get time to do things like this.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I don't even understand what I am looking at in the photo with the holy water. What is that thing? Some sort of custom 1911 hybrid?

markc

Apr 9, 2011
    I don't even understand what I am looking at in the photo with the holy water. What is that thing? Some sort of custom 1911 hybrid?

It's a Tactical Solutions 2211 Conversion Kit with the slide locked back. It operates more like the S&W Model 41. Threaded barrel.

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    I may be able to do that but it will take me awhile to get around to it. I travel so much I rearely get time to do things like this.

Take your time sir. Maybe this will be a jumpstart to a cleaning and maintenance thread I've been hoping to see for a while (unless there is one I haven't seen). :party29:

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    Most people clean there 45 s way to much. I read about every 100 rounds -not me . I clean mine every 500-750 or so . and I shoot lead and bullseye powder. The ones that over clean I bet get that idot scratch also and tend to run there guns dry and clean.
    shoot it and enjoy it and wipe it down with a oil rag and keep the rails, barrel and hood lubed. thats how I have been doing for the last 25 years.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL

He has to find an undisclosed location to do the video. If he does it in his house we may see all the .40's, high heels, chains, and whips in the background...

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    He has to find an undisclosed location to do the video. If he does it in his house we may see all the .40's, high heels, chains, and whips in the background...

Ill use my Alias. Jack Gordon.

I have a drywell already dug. Webcam and all.

Precious dont like it down there. A mean fat girl lives down there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom