• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Bring back the frame dust cover to meet the rear if the ball cuts on lower front of slide.
    IMG_9502.jpeg
    IMG_9503.jpeg

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Test fire, sans sights
    Now for a dipsh*t moment.

Test fire…yah…sans sights. No Novak rear in the parts box. Two rounds in the mag. Shot one…stovepiped the empty. Second round hung up on just shy of straightening out as it entered the chamber

Okay..another mag of two. Stove pipe and ftf after cycling the slide. Loosend the extractor.

Did this four more time. Fed once on second round. Fed 50% from round one feed.

Recalling the bench testing…The extraction sent dummy rounds off the bench. Huh?

Reset extractor tension…twice. No feed from excess tension. What duh…

Putting the slide back on the frame after checking things out…things looked wrong. REAL WRONG! I didn’t lube the top end of the pistol!!!!!! That’s a first. Sooo embarassed…to myself!!!

Oiled everything. Reassembled. Ran 100%. It ran fast, very fast for a no sights roscoe. At seven yards all center body hits just silhouetting the pistol as fast as I could silhouette the pistol against the target.

At home reset the extractor tension and close inspected the frame rails and ways. On slide, too, just in case. Thankfully rails and ways exhibited no abrasion nor galling.

Lessons…yeah…a couple…

Pics of frame rails and ways after shooting.
    IMG_9464.jpeg
    IMG_9465.jpeg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You make me want another 1911(but only if it's made by you)!

That gun looks very carryable.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Thank you, outrider. I carry the 45 version. Not as small as the P 365 but carries well. The 45 shoots way more pleasant than I thought it would.

I ordered a rear sight for it. Should be here next week.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Sights installed. I had the front sight blank. I was real tall! The rear sight is a Novak rear low mount with wide notch.

Anyway, the front sight was a blank. Installed. Measurements on other 9mm 1911’s gave ball park front sight height. I will play this next Powerball lottery because no movement was required for three different ammunition loadings when test fired. Dead on windage.

Ammunition used was Win 124 grain FMJ NATO spec, Fiocchi blasting GRADE 115 grain FMJ, PMC 115 grain FMJ, and function testing Federal 147 grain +P JHP. All fully functioned 100% except with the Fiocchi…it wouldn’t allow slide to fully close. Tapping the slide to close it revealed the barrel chamber needs to be chased with a finish reamer. Just felt like to too large case. I’ll measure the case dimension of a second box I have first.

Pics of primers of fired cases. Profile pics of pistol.
    IMG_9539.jpeg
    IMG_9538.jpeg
    IMG_9530.jpeg

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Shooting….
    It shot and tracked well with caveat it is set up for my wife’s strength issues to charge the pistol.

Test is my usual standing two handed at 10, 17, 25 yards on a composite target. Warm up was blasting away on an anatomical bi-pedal target. T’was fun!!!! As mentioned in last post, the rear sight was perfect. The hold was at the bottom of the red dot in the center of the bullseye. This for definition at shorter distances. Took some try and see on the 25 yard distance. I screwed the pooch with the two low left flyers

Anyway, the reader can draw their own conclusions.
    IMG_9532.jpeg
    IMG_9533.jpeg
    IMG_9537.jpeg

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Good question. Never thought to weigh it.

Anyway, just did. With mag pad equipped magazine the pistol weighs 31 ounces empty.

There are aluminum grip safeties and mainspring housings out there for this frame so there would be a couple more ounces. Thin carry wood grips for the present synthetic grips would save maybe an ounce.

See, now you have me lookin’…

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Good question. Never thought to weigh it.

Anyway, just did. With mag pad equipped magazine the pistol weighs 31 ounces empty.

There are aluminum grip safeties and mainspring housings out there for this frame so there would be a couple more ounces. Thin carry wood grips for the present synthetic grips would save maybe an ounce.

See, now you have me lookin’…
    Ha!

I'm a sissy. I want the pistol narrow and kind of light.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    IMG_9856.jpeg
    IMG_9855.jpeg
    IMG_9854.jpeg
    Couple other things attended to. Blended rear of pistol
    - rear of slide to frame and;
    - rear slide to rear of rear sight.

Also pic of barrel/ramp gap.

Ready for finish blend and cerakote.