• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Well that is long. Does it run flawlessly. The mag. It almost sounded like what my girlfiend said on our first date

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Well that is long. Does it run flawlessly. The mag. It almost sounded like what my girlfiend said on our first date
    Mine do, I have them in 9/45/10 and they all run just fine. Plus I can keep my backup mag at 12 o’clock position and nothing looks out of place.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Considering I shot 17 rubber 12 ga slugs at bears last summer and am still alive, yeah, 10mm is plenty
    You should be on call for the bay bridge.
    I’ve only come across black bears a few times in the woods and once on my deck. Each time they were way more freaked out than me. I do always carry a pistol back up when bow hunting in bear territory though. 10mm or 44 mag.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Bear spray is something like 98% effective. Statistically more effective than using a firearm in-fact.

That said, nothing wrong with carrying a firearm for bear defense, but you should really explore the facts of actual use-cases and make an objective decision from there.

I carried both when backpacking in Montana. If I could only choose one when it came to residential protection, I would choose bear spray since I can keep it in the car, by the front door, etc, at all times.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    For black bears, 10mm is sufficient. Buffalo bore or Underwood hard cast boolits.
    I have a 10mm that I carry when in WV mountains. Prior to picking up the 10, I utilized a 357 for same. Even with the 357, with hard cast, I felt it was sufficient. Fortunately I have not had to test my theory though. I have had two close encounters with black bears, one at 5 yards, the other about 10 yards. Neither time did they act in an aggressive manner. On the 5 yard encounter, the bear got out of Dodge as quick as he could. The 10 yard encounter, the bear just turned and went back the way he came from.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Bear spray is something like 98% effective. Statistically more effective than using a firearm in-fact.

That said, nothing wrong with carrying a firearm for bear defense, but you should really explore the facts of actual use-cases and make an objective decision from there.

I carried both when backpacking in Montana. If I could only choose one when it came to residential protection, I would choose bear spray since I can keep it in the car, by the front door, etc, at all times.
    They have probably gotten better over the years but the size of bear spray was a deterrent for me.

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD

I have a pretty strong bear phobia. Personally, I wouldn't go into bear country with spray alone. I'd still be nervous with spray, a .44 mag, and a 10mm. :lol2:

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I have a pretty strong bear phobia. Personally, I wouldn't go into bear country with spray alone. I'd still be nervous with spray, a .44 mag, and a 10mm. :lol2:
    We had a very large and inquisitive black bear in our camp on our last night in Glacier. At one point it's nose poked in under my rain fly. I was sweating bullets and had my Glock 20 and bear spray at the ready (bear spray with my wife). Luckily it showed no aggression and was just looking for food (which was hung about 100 meters away).

The only thing that kept me from absolutely losing my sh*t is that we were warned about this black bear and that it *so far* hadn't caused any issues. It was still an unpleasant experience.

We saw a number of bears that trip, including two very large grizzlies across the valley, but that was the closest encounter we had.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    I carry a life-size picture of Nancy Pelosi.

No self respecting bear would come within a hundred feet.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    With bears just play dead, they have a refined palette or offer it a line of cocaine.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes Bud ( who literally is the OP of this thread :

A ( standard size ) 10mm , with at least " mainstream full power " ammo , will be reasonably adaquate for Anti Yogi duty , within the context of non handcannon pistols .

Yes , options are good , feel free to have spray , whistles , etc Also if you wish .

Fla is a Shall Issue state , no reason to not be armed as a general course . Even if more likely to be in danger from human felons , in areas where they potentially overlap , I'm more confident in dealing with pot growers and clandestine meth cookers with a .44 or .45 , than dealing with a bear with a 9mm or .38 .

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Fla is a Shall Issue state , no reason to not be armed as a general course . Even if more likely to be in danger from human felons , in areas where they potentially overlap , I'm more confident in dealing with pot growers and clandestine meth cookers with a .44 or .45 , than dealing with a bear with a 9mm or .38 .

@clandestine does what??

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom