$100 tool just to install a flash hider or two?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I am still trying to figure out how an RR puts ANY stress on the pin or upper?

The upper should be free to rotate and never put any stress on the index pin.

No different than using barrel blocks. But can be used without removing handguards and possibly gas tube on short barrels.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    So just whack it from the front? Do you put the block against the muzzle and hit it with a hammer? I have one I ned to take off. Do have a Bev block to reinstall A2 flash hider.

I give it a smack on the sides of the flash hider. A plastic dead blow from harbor freight works well too.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    Where in there did I say that, ''friendly''? Op was having trouble with that method. I was offering an alternative.:shrug:

On page 1, i mentioned using padded vise jaws to stabilize the barrel as they're far less expensive and much more versatile. Russ then quoted me and stated he does the same with wood and leather. You then quoted him and went off about full capture vise blocks, reaction rods, and putting pressure on the upper receiver.

I'm asking how using padded jaws on the barrel puts pressure on the upper receiver, or has anything to do with the reaction rod. Please explain your thought process.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    I did try using two pieces of 2x4 with a hole drilled slightly smaller than the barrel profile to for a clamshell and put them in the vice but it still wouldn't grip tight enough. I tried using pieces of rubber inserted in the clamshell halves to add additional grip but it still couldn't grip tight enough....

In my (limited) experience, a common softwood 2x4 (SPF, HF, etc.) is not hard enough to make a good barrel clamp. Use some kind of hardwood like maple or white oak. The runners on many shipping pallets are made of hardwood and can be had for free. That's what I used, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom