• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mgriff75

Jul 27, 2022
    Randallstown, MD
    I've tried google to find the answer to this question, and I've read thru maryland gun laws on ATF website, but I can't find it.

I've had my carry permit for 30 years, and mostly carry a small pocket pistol, so I've never worried to much about the size of my magazines.

But at my last renewal, the instructor said that they changed the rules, and that we could no longer carry Standard Capacity mags, we had to go with mags at or below 10 rounds.

A bunch of friends are now getting permits, and we have been talking, Standard Capacity mags are legal to possess, you just can't buy / sell / transfer them. So why can't we carry them?

Can anyone point me to the law?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I've tried google to find the answer to this question, and I've read thru maryland gun laws on ATF website, but I can't find it.

I've had my carry permit for 30 years, and mostly carry a small pocket pistol, so I've never worried to much about the size of my magazines.

But at my last renewal, the instructor said that they changed the rules, and that we could no longer carry Standard Capacity mags, we had to go with mags at or below 10 rounds.

A bunch of friends are now getting permits, and we have been talking, Standard Capacity mags are legal to possess, you just can't buy / sell / transfer them. So why can't we carry them?

Can anyone point me to the law?
    No, we can't. Because it isn't illegal. You can carry and use a magazine >10 rounds in capacity for self defense. You may not possess said magazine of >10 rounds in the commission of a violent or drug felony. That's about the only time possession is a crime.

mgriff75

Jul 27, 2022
    Randallstown, MD
    I was willing to accept that the instructor was wrong when it was just my skin on the line, but I didn't want to advise my friends wrong. Since I've had my permit for so long, I've become the "expert" in our friend group......

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    Tried to take a screen shot of mag law but I am a tech idiot. It illegal to manufacture, transfer, offer for sale, or buy. Possession is not in the law.

mgriff75

Jul 27, 2022
    Randallstown, MD
    Yep, That's all I could find. But maybe this thread belongs with the "Wear and carry course disappointment." thread. Originally I figured the old guy that taught my last class was just wrong, but one of my friends said his instructor said the same thing. I wonder if this is in the State Police training materials, or are they just making it up?

Maryland Criminal Law Section 4-305​

Article - Criminal Law
    § 4-305.

(a) This section does not apply to a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine.

(b) A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 20 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Right. So don’t swap, buy, sell, make or otherwise procure or advertise standard capacity mags in MD. Just go to a shop or gun show in VA or PA and get all you want. You are taking possession of them in those states, and can keep them, use them, and carry them in MD. Unless you are committing a crime with them, but that’s not this audience.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Yep, That's all I could find. But maybe this thread belongs with the "Wear and carry course disappointment." thread. Originally I figured the old guy that taught my last class was just wrong, but one of my friends said his instructor said the same thing. I wonder if this is in the State Police training materials, or are they just making it up?

Maryland Criminal Law Section 4-305​

Article - Criminal Law
    § 4-305.

(a) This section does not apply to a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine.

(b) A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 20 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.
    Ummm, it's 10 rounds, not twenty.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Avoiding Worth A Shit should be a sticky.
    Yes. From your lips to Nortons ears.
    I did my ccw class at worth a shot and they said the same thing. 10 rounds for carry
    They are wrong. I am sorry to hear that you spent money and received an inferior product. Depending on your location, there are a number of instructors on this board who can help you. I'd venture to guess that most won't ******** you just to collect your money.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I did my ccw class at worth a shot and they said the same thing. 10 rounds for carry
    Did they also infer that firearm owners must store them in a safe and that they happen to have them for sale out in the showroom? That's also another nugget of theirs.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Did they also infer that firearm owners must store them in a safe and that they happen to have them for sale out in the showroom? That's also another nugget of theirs.
    I carry mine in the safe so it stays out of children's hand. I am saving lives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom