• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBlaze

FX4life
    Jul 26, 2009
    Huntingtown
    I recently bought 2 10/22's finally got them out today to shoot them...one is flawless but the other rifles fails to fire about 75% of the time... all the rounds that did not fire had a mark from the firing pin but the were much lighter than the mark on a fired shell...I took both rifles apart to compare them I noticed that firing pin on the none firing rifle barley clears the end of the bolt whereas the other one comes out a lot farther... anyone ever have this happen before...is it something I can fix or should I call Ruger?

futureseabee

CTT not seabee anymore
    Aug 18, 2008
    Va Beach
    I recently bought 2 10/22's finally got them out today to shoot them...one is flawless but the other rifles fails to fire about 75% of the time... all the rounds that did not fire had a mark from the firing pin but the were much lighter than the mark on a fired shell...I took both rifles apart to compare them I noticed that firing pin on the none firing rifle barley clears the end of the bolt whereas the other one comes out a lot farther... anyone ever have this happen before...is it something I can fix or should I call Ruger?

Call ruger and if that turns out to be more trouble than its worth you can always order another firing pin. Just ask them to send you one

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Ruger usually wont send out firing pins to individuals. They are worried about "liability".

Where did you get it from, and will they support it?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    i bought it from a place called montel gun dont know if they will do anything on it or not

See if they will, if they dont then I would rethink future purchases from them.

If your in my area let me know and Ill take a look at it and see what I can do.

Theres several things that could be the cause:

Weak Recoil Spring, causing the Bolt not to lock up

Rough Chamber preventing the Round from seating fully until the Hammer drops.

Weak Hammer Spring

Firing Pin Retaining Pin could be dragging on the Firing Pin, or the Firing Pin Retaining Pin hole could not be egged out properly

Firing Pin could be binding in its track or its bent

Firing Pin could be too short

Edward78

Apr 4, 2009
    Newburg, MD SoMd
    I have a extra firing pin but the problem is probably the bolt is machined wrong on the back and the head space. I had the same problem wrong with my Ruger for years it would only shoot CCI reliable because they have such great consistent ammo. I had the bolt redone by Randy at CPC and the problem is solved he had to remove some of the bolt at the back and the head space was way out of spec. I would call Ruger if the guy you bought it from will not help.

Ed

BigBlaze

FX4life
    Jul 26, 2009
    Huntingtown
    I agree its something with the bolt or firing pin...shouldnt it be on ruger to fix it not where i bought it though since it was a new gun?

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I agree its something with the bolt or firing pin...shouldnt it be on ruger to fix it not where i bought it though since it was a new gun?

Ruger will probably fix it at no charge, usually you can even get them to send you pre-paid shipping labels to send it in when you call them. You may have to wait a while to get it back. Ruger is pretty good about fixing manufacturing flaws, it seems to be something they have a lot of experience at. :innocent0

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    Seems like it would be pretty straight forward to take the bolt out of the gun and press the firing pin all the way forward with a small punch, nail, paperclip or whatever.

The firing pin should extend more or less flush with the front face of the bolt. If it doesn't, you probably have an issue with the firing pin or some debris that got into the firing pin channel. You can drive out the roll pin to separate the parts.

If the pin is ok, you need to be looking at the hammer spring and strut, or something binding.

Have you checked that the bolt is going fully into battery before each attempted shot? If it remains open just slightly, part of the hammer's energy will be consumed with smacking the bolt closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom