• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    She's a lunatic.
    Someone posted this on their Facebook yesterday. No doubt someone from here lol
    23ca1e52ab0dd937d0542ca21d374d33.jpg
    ^^^ QFT.

As an instructor, it is perfectly fine to provide your opinion, but you must tell your students that it is your opinion, and distinguish it from what the law requires.

Soul Rebel

Mar 8, 2013
    ^^^ QFT.

As an instructor, it is perfectly fine to provide your opinion, but you must tell your students that it is your opinion, and distinguish it from what the law requires.
    100% agree. I can respect differences of opinion but don’t sell your opinion as fact.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Heck , undoubtedly many of the students will actively seek opinions and recommendations from Instructors . And that's fine .

But Instructors need to be transparent about what is Fact- Fact , what is Generally Accepted by most reasonable observers , and what is simply their personal preference .

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    How any particular reads is clearly fact. We may hold the opinion that any given law is stupid and needs to be changed, and until it is changed we follow it, (lest we are prepared to suffer the consequences), no matter how stupid we think it is.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    ^^^ QFT.

Agreed. I even go a bit beyond that. For example, her assertion that Hunters Ed recognized by DNR must have been done within the last 3 years might have been due to the part of FSA 2013 that states that HQL training must have happened within the last 3 years. Note, however, that the Hunter Ed is an exemption to HQL training and no expiration is specified in the list of training exemptions. Couple that with they are selling training and other obvious misstating of law and it just adds to the irritation of bad info being bandied about.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Agreed. I even go a bit beyond that. For example, her assertion that Hunters Ed recognized by DNR must have been done within the last 3 years might have been due to the part of FSA 2013 that states that HQL training must have happened within the last 3 years. Note, however, that the Hunter Ed is an exemption to HQL training and no expiration is specified in the list of training exemptions. Couple that with they are selling training and other obvious misstating of law and it just adds to the irritation of bad info being bandied about.
    There's a bunch here for this non-Maryland attorney to grab hold of, thus I cannot faithfully opine on Maryland law. As a general principle, however, those holding themselves out as experts should be genuine subject matter experts, and provide those in their charge with accurate information, whether it "makes rain" for them or not. A training session is NOT an infomercial.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I’m convinced these instructors tied to a retail shop (that spread wrong info) just want to sell people the MD required neutered magazines they just so happens to have in stock. Or they can certainly order what you need…

Went out of state to buy standard cap mags, well you can’t use them for self defense. But luckily, we can get you legal right here at the shop.

Either that or they have a level of willful ignorance I can’t comprehend.

Bananas79

Apr 11, 2021
    Not suggesting masses on thread are wrong,,, my instructor said their was no restrictions in Maryland. But also told us to always check USCCA app when traveling…

And if you look at USCCA app, it lists MD as having a 10rd restriction ….

Attachments

• 7BA528C2-B220-4549-85BB-085E69F49BCB.png
      7BA528C2-B220-4549-85BB-085E69F49BCB.png
      162.3 KB · Views: 69

Soul Rebel

Mar 8, 2013
    Not suggesting masses on thread are wrong,,, my instructor said their was no restrictions in Maryland. But also told us to always check USCCA app when traveling…

The MD code that the USCCA app cites is the one we are all unfortunately familiar with:
    (b) A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

But yeah, can definitely see where that could cause confusion if not familiar with MD law.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    There's a bunch here for this non-Maryland attorney to grab hold of, thus I cannot faithfully opine on Maryland law. As a general principle, however, those holding themselves out as experts should be genuine subject matter experts, and provide those in their charge with accurate information, whether it "makes rain" for them or not. A training session is NOT an infomercial.
    Does this mean that if they give out wrong information that results in a persons death they might be successfully sued?

EXIT WOUND

Sep 22, 2011
    I can absolutely see that happening. It’s my fault, I choose that class because it was convenient to my schedule and location. Had major reservations heading into it but kept an open mind. Starting regretting my decision about 2 hours in and just accepted that I ****** up and needed to get through it.
    Just chalk up your regretted decision to added self control training. One must have great patience when carrying a gun. :tinfoil:

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Does this mean that if they give out wrong information that results in a persons death they might be successfully sued?
    I would be very worried about that.

In my day job I work for an industry organization that among things creates safety and training materials and programs surrounding the handling of hazardous materials. These things are provided to industry members. their employees, consumers and the public at large.

Every single pamphlet, brochure, PowerPoint, script, training manual, curriculum, eLearning interactive training module, etc., is created by subject matter experts, human factors and adult learning experts to ensure technical accuracy, and that the material is effectively communicated. Each item then goes through a legal review to ensure everything is legally accurate.

We are keenly aware that if we teach technicians incorrect or unlawful procedures, or misguide the users of our products and equipment, and it results in someone getting hurt or killed, we would expect to be sued and likely lose that sort of case. We take the effective teaching of accurate information very, very seriously.

ETA: I've had it up to here with "trainers" who have, shall I say, a casual attitude regarding the facts and the law. These folks are stupid at best, and potentially even quite dangerous. It is one thing to get a piece of bad information via an off-the-cuff comment by an LGS employee while leaning across the counter, it's quite another thing to pay good money specifically for training that is delivered by a person who is listed as a trainer on the MSP website. MSP may have disclaimers and enjoy sovereign immunity, but that won't protect a bad trainer.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

Yeah , Yeah Phone Apps are convenient , and modern . And as we see here dangerously oversimplified .

For the most accurate , most up to date , and most complete third party source ( including links to complete statutes about firearms and self defense ) , you'll have to go to the actual website of Handgunlaw dot US .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom