• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ...Why does this misinformation continue to be spread by supposedly knowledgeable IDIOT instructors?...
    Because no one wants to out them. No more/no less.

"Oh well, I just got ****** by an intructor who makes up their own 'facts', but hey, I checked my box and that's that." F anyone else that might take their class.

As posted above, most people here are operating under aliases and there is no way for an instructor to match their alias with their true identity, so the chances of reprisal are quite slim. Even at that, truth is not libel.
    One of those knuckleheads behind the counter has to be on here I would think.
    Seems like they'd need help logging in...

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    '
    '
    From the above:

"The law states...

A. Except as provided in §B of this regulation, a person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than ten rounds of ammunition for a firearm."

As with lots and lots of COMAR, "they" never say exactly what "they" mean, as in the above , it says nothing about restrictions on how many rounds you can legally insert in a removable magazine. It's all in the interpretation of the words presented. It alludes to "possess" a mag with greater than 10 rounds; and nothing about the use of same.

You can even write to the Attorney Generals Office about the subject above, and you will get an interpretation from a member of the Office.

And you will also get a "disclaimer" about what you read may not be the Attorney General's position. So, it's caveat emptor!!!

Soul Rebel

Mar 8, 2013
    Because no one wants to out them. No more/no less.

"Oh well, I just got ****** by an intructor who makes up their own 'facts', but hey, I checked my box and that's that." F anyone else that might take their class.

As posted above, most people here are operating under aliases and there is no way for an instructor to match their alias with their true identity, so the chances of reprisal are quite slim. Even at that, truth is not libel.

Seems like they'd need help logging in...
    True - IMHO this place is not worth giving another shot. The advice about how to deal with an active shooter was puzzling to say the least. Won’t be getting any other “training” from them. Might be right for some people. On the bright side, I was able to meet all the requirements and get my application submitted. That’s really what I paid for but better factual information would have been appreciated.

Also, they said I dropped 2 shots on the qualification. My guess is because I had hand sized grouping on the 9 & 10 rings and they couldn’t count all 25. Not bragging at all but that was annoying.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Yup - the previous limit was a total of 20 rounds on your person. That limit was repealed, but the 10 round limit per magazine is still in force. You can have as many magazines with 10 rounds in them as you like. My understanding is that if you have 10 rounds in a magazine, you are not allowed a round in the chamber. If you want that, then you are only allowed 9 in the magazine.
    Previously you could carry a full load (10+1, 8+1, etc..) with another reload but not to exceed 20 rounds total.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    '
    '
    From the above:

"The law states...

A. Except as provided in §B of this regulation, a person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than ten rounds of ammunition for a firearm."

As with lots and lots of COMAR, "they" never say exactly what "they" mean, as in the above , it says nothing about restrictions on how many rounds you can legally insert in a removable magazine. It's all in the interpretation of the words presented. It alludes to "possess" a mag with greater than 10 rounds; and nothing about the use of same.

You can even write to the Attorney Generals Office about the subject above, and you will get an interpretation from a member of the Office.

And you will also get a "disclaimer" about what you read may not be the Attorney General's position. So, it's caveat emptor!!!
    I mean... that particular statute is pretty explicit and clear. It never alludes to or prohibits possession or use, only to the behaviors listed (manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer). It's completely legal to buy or otherwise gain possession of >10 round magazines out of state and then return to md with them for use here. It's not one of those grey area things like what is considered a "HBAR" that is more open to interpretation. I suppose the only way it could be is if a 30 rnd 5.56 mag can be passed off as a 10 round .458 socom mag, or how permanently a >10 round mag must be converted to only accept 10. For instance, does popping a base plate off and sticking a dowel under the follower to restrict capacity count? Those things are more at the discretion of enforcement.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    My W & C instructor, advocated for a modern 9 mm because of the increased capacity.

I do wish the Supremes would sing Ain't no Such Thing as a High Capacity Magazine, So Don't be Infringing.

safegunners

Aug 21, 2016
    Smithsburg MD
    Thanks all and my apologies for asking this question again. Why does this misinformation continue to be spread by supposedly knowledgeable instructors? Lots of people in that class put their trust in her and were blindly accepting everything she said.
    Also found it unsettling that she mentioned she is more worried about new MD WCP holders than “the bad guys” - as if MD is first state to ever issue carry permits. Similar to the leftist talking point about the state turning into the Wild West. A lot of talk about how she felt safer when she knew she was the only person in a room with a gun. Just weird. Anyways, submitted my application so just playing the waiting game. Thanks again for the quick responses!

I blame the instructor and the current system we have in place.

My opinion on the continuance of misinformation is due to the lack of a specific outline by MSP. One could argue that COMAR 29.03.03.05 gives direction on topics needed, however they are very generalized and fail to mention specific codes and regulations. The State of Utah as well as several other states provide a detailed and specific outline of information that needs to be covered in their state mandated courses. The Utah outline covers in detail the required information, state code, and applicable regulations. I'm guessing the state of Maryland has no interest in providing an outline to instructors since there is an inherent legal advantage to be able to subjectively evaluate instructors course content.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I blame the instructor and the current system we have in place.

My opinion on the continuance of misinformation is due to the lack of a specific outline by MSP. One could argue that COMAR 29.03.03.05 gives direction on topics needed, however they are very generalized and fail to mention specific codes and regulations. The State of Utah as well as several other states provide a detailed and specific outline of information that needs to be covered in their state mandated courses. The Utah outline covers in detail the required information, state code, and applicable regulations. I'm guessing the state of Maryland has no interest in providing an outline to instructors since there is an inherent legal advantage to be able to subjectively evaluate instructors course content.
    The training requirement is an infringement. It doesn't need to be more burdensome than it already is, it needs to be eliminated. If 16 hours of training means sitting in a room, filling out your application and surfing mdshooters for 12 hours, with 4 hours of light instruction and a shooting qual... then so be it. What shouldn't happen under the current framework is for the trainers to choose to voluntarily insert bad and/or outdated information into the course. At the very least, when they're repeatedly corrected, they should stop. It would be a very very bad idea to start having the law rewritten by rabidly anti-gun politicians to state exactly what must be covered in a course. We all know how that will turn out.

BurtonRW

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    I will add... we should do a crowd fund of 2 or 3 qhic instructors from here to take her class. Then each take turns on calling out her ********.

I will do it, I can take the time off from work. I just dont want to pay for it.
    I'm local, am an instructor (QHIC & NRA) , and I'm an attorney.

Definitely in if anyone wants to fund the project. Wonder how many of us we could get in her class?

-Rob

safegunners

Aug 21, 2016
    Smithsburg MD
    The training requirement is an infringement. It doesn't need to be more burdensome than it already is, it needs to be eliminated. If 16 hours of training means sitting in a room, filling out your application and surfing mdshooters for 12 hours, with 4 hours of light instruction and a shooting qual... then so be it. It would be a very very bad idea to start having the law rewritten by rabidly anti-gun politicians to state exactly what must be covered in a course. We all know how that will turn out.
    You are correct, I support the constitutional carry and removing the permitting requirement. However, that is not what we are dealing with now.

If permitting is something that remains after being challenged in court, as an instructor I think its more than fair to expect a detailed outline from the regulating state agency that includes current laws such as code, regulations, and information that I am legally required to teach in a course.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I'm local, am an instructor (QHIC & NRA) , and I'm an attorney.

Definitely in if anyone wants to fund the project. Wonder how many of us we could get in her class?

-Rob
    Depends she may have a super secret identity here.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Depends she may have a super secret identity here.
    easily countered everyone send their money to one person. Then that person sends it out to those taking the class. They would all be unknown to her.

Unless she looks names up on the MSP site to see if any students have their qhic already.

Soul Rebel

Mar 8, 2013
    Um.... isn't making new WCP holders safe LITERALLY HER JOB?

If she is worried about new permit holders she must think her own class sucks.
    Haha!

One could say she did her best to convince as many people in that room as she could not to carry. So weird and contradictory. Telling us how much she spends to protect our rights but then admits she only advocates for gun store owners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom