• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Wait, you are going to fit a family of five in a teardrop trailer? Did you borrow the incredible shrinking mans machine to fit them into it? :lol:

It is funny you mentioned that. We have a 12x6 foot Haul trailer for bug out. There is only 2 of us it takes about 30 minutes to have it ready. From flops to hots.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Wait, you are going to fit a family of five in a teardrop trailer? Did you borrow the incredible shrinking mans machine to fit them into it? :lol:

Nope. My kids can sleep in a tent. They don’t have bad backs.

It is as much for my wife and I once the kids are grown up and moved out. My youngest turns 10 in a couple of weeks. My oldest is finishing 8th grade. So not that many more years of them being home with us. And even a small camper allows us to “be packed” for camping. Camp kitchen is ready to to, easy to clean-up.

Camping moving to and leaving a site for anything more than a fast place to sleep and eating fast food, at least for my family, takes about 30-45 minutes at best for setup and often a little longer for tear down. Just setting up a smaller tent than our 6 person (I also have 2 and 3 person tents) is faster. No camp kitchen setup. No needing to unload the totes of camping gear from the van if it is already organized in the camper, etc.

Plus more stuff staying dry if bad weather. And right, but you can fit 5 people in a tear drop sitting for a rainy day to play card games or what not. Plus space to setup and awning off it for my dry space that doesn’t depend on trees around you. Brings power with you that is more extensive than a power bank/solar generator and a portable solar panel. Easier to pack food. Heck, in terms for cubic footage, it roughly doubles storage over just a van + car top carrier.

And for the old folks it’s insulated, will have a heater and has good ventilation/fan for much better comfort.

I don’t like towing stuff and I don’t want to be limited in what can tow it. So under 2000lbs loaded is my goal.

And a tear drop doesn’t really limit us on where we can take it. It has around 10” of ground clearance. I am installing gas shocks this weekend to it before I convert the trailer itself. Something with AWD isn’t going to have too much issue with getting bogged down towing something under 2000lbs from a 4000lb vehicle.

Plus since it is at or under the overall height of a minivan, not going to be limited in overhead clearance either. And small enough and light enough that on fairly flat ground two adults can maneuver it around with the wheeled tongue jack.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It is funny you mentioned that. We have a 12x6 foot Haul trailer for bug out. There is only 2 of us it takes about 30 minutes to have it ready. From flops to hots.

And that’s partly why I am doing it. Typically it takes us about 3-5hrs of work to pack and unpack for camping. If the need really arose we could throw all the things in the van and scoot pretty fast. Probably in under half an hour if my kids could get their S together and help. But it would be a pretty disorganized mess.

The tear drop camper allows it to basically be packed and then all that is really needed is pack up sleeping bags and grab the tent for the kids and pack any food that is being brought.

After camping bring in the tent and sleeping bags and hang the bags up and air out the tent if it got wet. Unpack left over food. Maybe bring in the dishes if they need some extra cleaning and put them back in the camper when dry.

Just a lot less overall work to go camping. Totally aside from any bugout considerations.

If I want to go hunting in western Maryland there are bunch of campgrounds I can choose from to take the camper and often not many restrictions since it is so small. Park it, open the door, go to sleep. Wake up, eat breakfast go hunting. Get back to the campsite at the end of the day, hookup trailer. Drive home. No breaking camp or setting up camp.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    And that’s partly why I am doing it. Typically it takes us about 3-5hrs of work to pack and unpack for camping. If the need really arose we could throw all the things in the van and scoot pretty fast. Probably in under half an hour if my kids could get their S together and help. But it would be a pretty disorganized mess.

The tear drop camper allows it to basically be packed and then all that is really needed is pack up sleeping bags and grab the tent for the kids and pack any food that is being brought.

After camping bring in the tent and sleeping bags and hang the bags up and air out the tent if it got wet. Unpack left over food. Maybe bring in the dishes if they need some extra cleaning and put them back in the camper when dry.

Just a lot less overall work to go camping. Totally aside from any bugout considerations.

If I want to go hunting in western Maryland there are bunch of campgrounds I can choose from to take the camper and often not many restrictions since it is so small. Park it, open the door, go to sleep. Wake up, eat breakfast go hunting. Get back to the campsite at the end of the day, hookup trailer. Drive home. No breaking camp or setting up camp.

We just ordered a tent that fits in the bed of our jeep truck

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    We just ordered a tent that fits in the bed of our jeep truck

I don’t have any trucks and as nice as that looks, not as convenient as the tear drop where you also basically have an already setup mini kitchen. Plus warmer for cold weather camping and dryer.

But that is appealing.

Howe

Howe
    Apr 27, 2010
    exMD
    Folks

If you are using a Mr. Heater type of indoor safe propane heater, be sure to get a oil filter attach to your converter. Learnt it the hard way myself. The oil preserve (?) that they use in the 15/20lb tanks tend to clog up Mr. Heater. Here is the link https://www.mrheater.com/universal-fuel-filter.html

Also, the 1lb tank is on shortage, if you are shopping walmart online, last I check they will list the 1lb out of stock, but their website doesn't always show the 2 pack 1lb tank's inventory. Sometimes you may get lucky to find the 2 pack deal.

Wardove

Jul 23, 2017
    Blairsville, GA
    Easier to just move to Georgia and have a 320 gallon tank running the heat and spare kitchen. And don’t have to worry about blowing yourself up refilling those little cans. Only concern down here is ….which pistol should I carry today?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom