• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Major03

Ultimate Member
    I don't understand how one can say a 3 shot group is meaningless.

Let's say I pick up a rifle that shoots a 3 shot group at 100 in a single hole.

Then I pick up another rifle and shoot a 3 shot group that has holes 2 ft or more apart.

Might not tell you the entire story but one can surmise, in 3 shots what rifle has a chance at being a good shooter and another is a POS.

If you had 5 rounds and had to pick a rifle to hunt with, what one would you pick? Or would you rather fire a single shot from each and "throw the dice"....that would be useless.

Without implying anything about the OP...

It's not that it is meaningless...it's just that as a reflection of precision three data points does not constitute a large enough sample size to be a statistically good representation of the precision of the rifle and/or shooter.

This is a long running debate in other discussion boards with folks much more knowledgeable and experienced in all types of shooting than myself...but to sum it up, the general feeling is that when someone posts a pic of an impressive single three shot group and then makes claims as to their shooting prowess and/or accuracy of the rifle...it becomes suspect.

It's very easy to cherry pick a three round group that is the "best of the day" or week or month or year...and then make claims as to that being the norm, when in reality it may be just a fluke. Tight five shot groups are a harder thing to make happen with regularity...so some prefer to see them before giving a stranger the benefit of the doubt before accepting claims of being able to shoot X MOA "all day long."

My personal preference for testing my consistency or some fun competition with a friend is a target with 20 MOA or 1/2 MOA dots scaled to the distance you'll be shooting at, and then shoot one round on each dot.

As to reloading / ammo testing...I personally use a three shot group. I know how well I shoot (and my limitations too), and can usually tell within three rounds if the load is working or not. Is that right? I dunno...it saves me time on the bench and seems to work for me...so it's right for me.

But whatever, to each his own.

Shooting at distance is a huge challenge, and the OP did a phenomenal job to put any rounds on steel with an off the shelf rifle. He has a right to be proud.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    I'm no expert marksman by any means but here's a real-world example of what the statisticians are saying here. I have an old Marlin model 25 (.22LR) that's pretty darn accurate at 50 yards. I often shoot 5 or 7 round groups (magazine holds 7 rounds). Now suppose I set up 4 or 6 targets and each one has a 5 rounds in a 1 inch group. (Which I can do consistently with the right ammo) I can take most of those targets and find 3 holes that are touching or within 1/4 to 1/2 inch of each other. The odds are pretty good that in some of these targets the 3 holes were from the first 3 shots. So should I could fire a bunch of 3 shot groups and probably have a few that were within a 1/2 inch, but I wouldn't say I could depend on the rifle or me to do that consistently; I'd still only count on getting them within an inch.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    hell i can fart and gag someone across the room. so i guess a 900yd 1/2' group is possible..........................................................on mars.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    hell i can fart and gag someone across the room. so i guess a 900yd 1/2' group is possible..........................................................on mars.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2014/04/best-10-shot-1000-yard-group-in-history-be-amazed/

IIRC, the best 5 round group at 1k is under 2", 1.9557" with a .50 IIRC - so it's entirely possible here on earth as well. :)

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2009/07/rasmussen-sets-new-1-9557-50-cal-record-at-1000-yards/

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    With all due respect Gunny, and I'm only speaking for myself here - 100 yards is what is available without making a 2+ hour drive each way. If I had access to a longer range within an hour of home, I'd gladly use it.

Again, I'm not arguing the message that was delivered by 501st. Just responding in kind to it, comment like an *******, be responded to like an *******.

Granted, Range access is an issue/limited...my back yard is 150 yds, which is for me a good gauging distance...I just notice that when there is an achievement made for an individual with that individuals own expectations, instead of noting the attributes, there is criticism and cynicism...I am no expert by any means, but my experiences shape my abilities...but counting the Nats Hair on his ass with magnifying glass, drinking a bottle of scotch and writing it down on a wet coaster is ridiculous...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom