• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cowboy T

Folks,

Two weeks ago, I attended the BangSteel course and shot distance for the first time, ever. With a Ruger American Rifle in .308 Win and factory Hornady Match ammo (168gr A-MAX), I got a 1/2 MOA group on the steel target.

Yes, some of these "cheap" rifles actually shoot remarkably well. I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do with a load tuned for it!

Here's the story, with pics. The accompanying video will be forthcoming as well.

https://www.facebook.com/LiberalsGunCorner/posts/718598404910970

- Ruger American Rifle in .308 Winchester ($297)
    - Nightforce Standard Duty Picatinny mount, 20 MOA ($57)
    - Burris Signature Zee rings with 10 MOA shims ($15)
    - Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 scope with Accu-Range reticle ($189)
    - Harris bipod ($100)
    - About $40 for various sales tax and shipping

Total cost: $698.

The ammo was Hornady Match 168gr AMAX. The wind varied between about 2 mph and 8 mph, so that meant I had to learn how to not only read the wind, but also hold over on the scope and about how much. The scope stayed on full power (9x) the entire time.

The rifle was unfired outside of the factory until this weekend. I had dry-fired it some before, to get used to it. The rifle shoots right where you point it; if my example is any indication, these are good rifles. Furthermore, the Revolution's Accu-Range reticle is very nice for hold-over. It took a few shots for the scope to "settle in", but it did. This will be my general-purpose hunting platform.

Thanks to the folks at BangSteel.com for teaching me how to do this. Yes, you *can* shoot a "cheap rifle" well, and if I can, anyone can.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Thanks OP for the review and info. I have been very interested in the Ruger American series for a while now, and I think I will pick one up soon.

C&RTactical

Jul 24, 2013
    That is great to see with the Ruger American. Though it would have been more boss with a 5 shot group.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Folks,

Two weeks ago, I attended the BangSteel course and shot distance for the first time, ever. With a Ruger American Rifle in .308 Win and factory Hornady Match ammo (168gr A-MAX), I got a 1/2 MOA group on the steel target.

Yes, some of these "cheap" rifles actually shoot remarkably well. I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do with a load tuned for it!

Here's the story, with pics. The accompanying video will be forthcoming as well.

https://www.facebook.com/LiberalsGunCorner/posts/718598404910970

- Ruger American Rifle in .308 Winchester ($297)
    - Nightforce Standard Duty Picatinny mount, 20 MOA ($57)
    - Burris Signature Zee rings with 10 MOA shims ($15)
    - Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 scope with Accu-Range reticle ($189)
    - Harris bipod ($100)

Total cost: $698.

The ammo was Hornady Match 168gr AMAX. The wind varied between about 2 mph and 8 mph, so that meant I had to learn how to not only read the wind, but also hold over on the scope and about how much. The scope stayed on full power (9x) the entire time.

The rifle was unfired outside of the factory until this weekend. I had dry-fired it some before, to get used to it. The rifle shoots right where you point it; if my example is any indication, these are good rifles. Furthermore, the Revolution's Accu-Range reticle is very nice for hold-over. It took a few shots for the scope to "settle in", but it did. This will be my general-purpose hunting platform.

Thanks to the folks at BangSteel.com for teaching me how to do this. Yes, you *can* shoot a "cheap rifle" well, and if I can, anyone can.

3 shot group? :sad20: Utterly useless.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I think so.

Sierra 168 gr match

For the record cause this tread has gotten nasty this was the 1st and 10th shot after a 10 shot string time 10 minutes.

Last edited:

Cowboy T

Thanks, folks. And yes, I would like to do that again and probably will.

By the way, Remington 700 ADL's seem to be able to do it, too. I'm talking about the ones you see on Black Friday sales at places like Dick's Sporting Goods. At 1,100 yards, it was about a 12" group, so just a bit over 1 MOA. At these distances, the wind matters a lot. I'll post pics of that as well.

This platform was as follows.

- Remington 700 ADL Varmint, 26" barrel, in .308 Winchester ($349--Black Friday sale)
    - ECW Aluminum Picatinny mount, 20 MOA ($45)
    - Burris Signature Zee rings with 0 (zero) MOA shims ($15)
    - Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 scope with standard duplex reticle ($189)
    - Harris bipod ($100)

Total cost: $738.

Note that both this ADL and the RAR were unmodified--no sanding out the barrel channel, no bedding the action, no trigger work, nada. Bone-stock.

The ammo in this case was Federal Gold Match with 168gr Sierra MatchKings. It was a little tougher due to the traditional duplex reticle to get the windage holdover just right, hence the 12" group in this case. But that's still "minute of elk". The transonic range was calculated (based on observed ballistics) to be right around 1,150 fps, could've been a little sooner. We did observe a little flatter trajectory than with the Ruger American, we believe due to both the extra 4" of barrel length and the Federal Gold Match load possibly being a little warmer than the Hornady Match. This is also why we stuck with the 0 MOA Burris shims, unlike with the RAR (we used 10's there).

Still, good enough for hunting at any reasonable distances, I'd say. A .308 Win hunting game animals at 1,000 yards may not be reasonable (that's probably more 7mm Rem Mag with VLD's territory). But it was a good chambering to learn on.

It's amazing how much huntin' gun you can buy nowadays for not a lot of money, isn't it?

Remember, if I can, with budget gear, then *anyone* can. And that's really the point here.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    So let's see your groups at 900 yards then.

Nice attempt at trying to distract people from the point I made.

Of course you can continue to to be ignorant, or you can use the resources we have today to enlighten yourself. The choice is up to you.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Nice attempt at trying to distract people from the point I made.

Of course you can continue to to be ignorant, or you can use the resources we have today to enlighten yourself. The choice is up to you.

Guess the whole premise of the Appleseed shot sequence is ignorant then. "Once is luck. Twice is coincidence. Third time, there may be something to it."

Your statement of "3 shot group? :sad20: Utterly useless" isn't a point. It's a statement, and one that sounds quite snobbish/prickish if I'm honest.

How many rifle makers provide a test target with their product? On average, how many of those that do provide one are shot using the 3-shot group sequence? ;)

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    There are 10 targets on one appleseed sheet. Where are his other 9 (on the same page)? LOTS of folks can shoot one small group. Being able to repeat it is the trick. I can shoot a touching 3-shot group w/ a hi-point pistol given enough time and ammo.

I think the gripe 501st was getting at was that the internet is FULL of folks posting one lucky group and claiming they have ___ MOA rifles. Some of them actually are that good but easily 9 out of 10 (being generous) are just lucky and posting the best group.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    There are 10 targets on one appleseed sheet. Where are his other 9 (on the same page)? LOTS of folks can shoot one small group. Being able to repeat it is the trick. I can shoot a touching 3-shot group w/ a hi-point pistol given enough time and ammo.

I think the gripe 501st was getting at was that the internet is FULL of folks posting one lucky group and claiming they have ___ MOA rifles. Some of them actually are that good but easily 9 out of 10 (being generous) are just lucky and posting the best group.

Then the man should say that upfront instead of coming off as a complete douchenozzle. It's a great way to actually make a point instead of just sounding like an ass.

Hell, he managed to get my goat in 5 words - that's impressive.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Guess the whole premise of the Appleseed shot sequence is ignorant then. "Once is luck. Twice is coincidence. Third time, there may be something to it."

Your statement of "3 shot group? :sad20: Utterly useless" isn't a point. It's a statement, and one that sounds quite snobbish/prickish if I'm honest.

How many rifle makers provide a test target with their product? On average, how many of those that do provide one are shot using the 3-shot group sequence? ;)

Then the man should say that upfront instead of coming off as a complete douchenozzle. It's a great way to actually make a point instead of just sounding like an ass.

Hell, he managed to get my goat in 5 words - that's impressive.

It's 2015, not the turn of the current century. This information isn't hidden or obscure.

If there is one thing I cannot stand it is misinformation and disinformation.

You may consider my statement "snobbish", but there is no excuse for such claims and methodology in the present.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/279218_.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/500913_.html

http://www.theboxotruth.com/educational-zone-166-being-honest-about-a-rifle-and-shooters-ability/

https://precisionrifle.files.wordpr...ting-and-the-myth-of-the-three-shot-group.pdf

http://rifleman.org.uk/Fuller_group_diagnosis.htm

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    You provided good links with good info on why the 3-shot group is basically meaningless in this day and age. I will give you that.

Maybe if you'd provided even just the rifleman.org link with your initial comment, the last few exchanges could've been avoided. Instead you said 5 words, which went over like a fart in church.

I still stand by my diagnosis of your posts tone though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom