• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Let me know the results, if you would? I'm beginning to sample different brands to learn what my 452's will shoot best. So far Eley Target works tolerably well. Surprisingly, CCI Standard Velocity was all over the place; targets looked like kitchen colanders after 50 rds. Could have been a batch of less than quality ammo, or the shooter may have been having an off day - will try it again, later. I have a couple of boxes of high priced spread but was saving those for undefined special occasions. I hesitate to use them in the 452's at this point 'cuz I'm not ready to accept the possibility that they may thrive on that ammo exclusively. Let me know how you fare.

From what I understand, each CZ rifle is unique with it's ammo selection. I hear if you are lucky it will shoot cheap ammo better then the expensive stuff. I'm getting better groups with Federal bulk then I am with CCI mini mags.
    I'm going to try some old target ammo I picked up two weeks ago that is no longer available and some Federal Champion gold.

I'm very curious if these subsonic rounds will group better as I suspect Federal bulk is going transonic right before they hit the target at 50yards. I will let you know the results.

The best thing about these .22 rifles is that you can try more expensive ammo without breaking the bank and you can see where you hit though the scope.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Be careful. You cannot shoot a few rounds of one then another. The lubes may not be compatible, so it can take 100 rounds to tell how a new ammo is actually doing.

Or a good cleaning between types of ammunition.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Be careful. You cannot shoot a few rounds of one then another. The lubes may not be compatible, so it can take 100 rounds to tell how a new ammo is actually doing.

Or a good cleaning between types of ammunition.

Thanks I was planning on running a patch down the bore tonight.

I thought it only takes 10-20 rounds between ammo.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Excellent choice in a firearm. Go to rimfirecentral.com and hit the CZ/BRNO thread. You'll be amazed at the info there, especially Sophia's sticky at the top.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Excellent choice in a firearm. Go to rimfirecentral.com and hit the CZ/BRNO thread. You'll be amazed at the info there, especially Sophia's sticky at the top.

That's where I'm getting all of my knowledge and it is addictive to say the least.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Let me know the results, if you would? I'm beginning to sample different brands to learn what my 452's will shoot best.

I went to the range today and I'm pleased to report that my 50yard grouping is much better.

I made one mistake in that I switched up ammo and fixed the trigger to have much lighter pull then last time. So either the sub sonic Federal Gold Premium is making the difference or it's the trigger.

I was shooting near dimes sized at 50 yards when I tried but it was difficult because both guys on either side of me were shooting ARs with loud compensators.

I'm very pleased with the accuracy of this gun, so rewarding.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    That's where I'm getting all of my knowledge and it is addictive to say the least.

It sure is.Excellent group of people don't you think? And extremely well moderated. I got hooked a couple of years ago. Now you need a BRNO 1 in your collection. And those BRNO sites from Denny are fantastic on the CZ.
    Also, SK Std Plus and SK Rifle Match are worth a try. Excellent mid priced ammo. But like you said all guns are different. And that's a fine piece of lumber BTW. Nothing like hitting the stock lottery.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    It sure is.Excellent group of people don't you think? And extremely well moderated. I got hooked a couple of years ago. Now you need a BRNO 1 in your collection. And those BRNO sites from Denny are fantastic on the CZ.
    Also, SK Std Plus and SK Rifle Match are worth a try. Excellent mid priced ammo. But like you said all guns are different. And that's a fine piece of lumber BTW. Nothing like hitting the stock lottery.

I haven't posted much but I have absorbed a lot. I contacted Denny and I'm still waiting for his new shipment of sights but now that I have a scope I think I will let it be.

The ability to strive for accuracy in both the gun and the shooter is a real joy. If I get hooked I'm going to eventually get a CZ 550 in 308 for long range.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I haven't posted much but I have absorbed a lot. I contacted Denny and I'm still waiting for his new shipment of sights but now that I have a scope I think I will let it be.

The ability to strive for accuracy in both the gun and the shooter is a real joy. If I get hooked I'm going to eventually get a CZ 550 in 308 for long range.

I'd still get the sites when he gets them. You can be as accurate as a scope with these. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised and your model is perfect for them with the hog back stock. And they are always an easy sell if you don't like them.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    I'd still get the sites when he gets them. You can be as accurate as a scope with these. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised and your model is perfect for them with the hog back stock. And they are always an easy sell if you don't like them.

I will try emailing him again on your recommendation. Thanks.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    beautiful, what dealers around Bmore have them in stock?

None, zero that I'm aware of in the whole sate of Maryland. There are a lot more CZ dealers now but they tend to only carry a few handgun models.
    It's a shame really because CZ is makes quality firearms that mostly go unknown except for a few that are aware of the value of a CZ.

I can tell you the CZ rifles are not easy to get and you may have to compromise on getting a wood style that you may not want and then you can always switch up stocks later on.

Your best bet is to order from the internet and have it delivered to your local FFL. If you don't mind the drive Bollinger Gunsmithing transfers for unregulated firearms is only $15. Considering you don't have to fork up tax and most of the internet retailers ship for free there are bargains to be had.

Here are two vendors that I have used and it was painless and fast.

http://www.damascusgunshop.com/shop/index.php
    http://grabagun.com/

abr10dr

May 17, 2010
    Thanks, dev.
    I'll start my search. Saw one (military trainer) on Smith & Wesson forum, private sale for $275 + 25 shipping, but waited to long, it's gone.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Thanks, dev.
    I'll start my search. Saw one (military trainer) on Smith & Wesson forum, private sale for $275 + 25 shipping, but waited to long, it's gone.

I hear the military trainers and the ultra lux are great shooters but there is no advantage if you decide to use a scope. From what I understand the longer barrel only gives you the advantage of having a longer site radius.
    There are those that say the 452 line is better then the newer 455 but that is because of a few teething pains and a bad batch of crowns which was easily correctable. The 455 is more stout where it counts and because you have an interchangeable barrel there will be various options from barrel manufactures. Lilja makes a barrel for the 455 and it has shown to be worth the money.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    beautiful, what dealers around Bmore have them in stock?

If you are talking about the sites, nobody but Denny out in CA. As far as rifles they are real hard to find. The Gun Rack may have some. I have bought most of mine from Whittaker Guns in KY online. The Gun Shop will order one for you also, an IP here. What cal. are you looking for? Most people still like the 452 but the 455 is catching one. If I was in the mkt for one I'd get an Ultra Lux for sure. That 28" barrel and some of Denny's sites is deadly and QUIET. I'll keep you in mind. I've been thinking of selling one of my ULs. Bought one for irons and one for scope but don't need a scope on it, the sites from Denny aka Brnomann are that good.
    Also, I understand that a VA dealer at the Chantilly shows usually has a bunch. You won't find a finer rifle for the money.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    If someone is looking for a Lux in .223, Continental Arms has a nice one with a scope.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    One of the IPs, up in PA has them every so often.

Atlantic Guns in Silver Spring has had them in stock.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    If someone is looking for a Lux in .223, Continental Arms has a nice one with a scope.

I'm in two minds if I should get a 527 chambered in .223 or a 550 chambered in 308. I already have an AR in .223 that shoots good groups but at the same time all of the ranges I go to only go as far as 200yrds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom