• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    There were a few people here that said CZ rifles are fantastic so I had to find out for myself. I have shot a Savage and it's nice however the CZ build quality is outstanding. I also think I got a nice piece of Turkish Walnut.

The bolt is still breaking in but what I like is that all of the tolerances are extremely tight and exact. The quality is so good that I either got a good one that someone has taken their time to build or all of the CZs are built to a very high standard.
    I was expecting the trigger to be creepy as it has been reported with the 452 but to my surprise it's snappy and feels good even though it is a little heavy.
    Shooting the 455 is pure joy, the way it recoils feels solid. They say the test target only tests for functionality not for accuracy but I think it grouped well at 50 meters and will hopefully gets better in time.
    I plan to get some BRNO diopter sights and the single set trigger once it's available, then leave it alone.

IMG_5793.jpg

IMG_5803.jpg

IMG_5802.jpg

IMG_5809.jpg

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Thanks for the complements. Yes I have been catching up on Rimfirecentral and I have decided to get a scope instead of irons.

roady

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    Sweet looking weapon. I got my daughter a 452 in 22LR and put the Williams sight on the rear of it and it is an excellent shooter. Probably still a little big for her but she stills has fun. I really want to find a Scout 452 for her but the are pretty scarce right now.

ankrklankr

CZ 452 Special Military Trainer here - I've had it 3 days, been to the range 2x with it and am trying to come up with an excuse to go again tomorrow...I want to work with the stock sights for awhile then make a decision on moving to aperture sights...meanwhile this will be my 'go to' rifle for a good while yet...

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    CZ 452 Special Military Trainer here - I've had it 3 days, been to the range 2x with it and am trying to come up with an excuse to go again tomorrow...I want to work with the stock sights for awhile then make a decision on moving to aperture sights...meanwhile this will be my 'go to' rifle for a good while yet...

Congrats, You are going to love shooting it. I'm still trying to get to the point where I'm better then the federal bulk that I'm shooting.

ankrklankr

Congrats, You are going to love shooting it. I'm still trying to get to the point where I'm better then the federal bulk that I'm shooting.

Now that's something to strive for!!!

My last range outing I took the CZ and hung two 50 ft small bore targets on the backboards of our 50 meter range and threw 50 rds at them. 5 shots at each of the 5 bulls on each target from a bench rest. With my tired old eyes I'da been happy just to hit the paper...well, sir...that CZ made it look like I'd actually aimed at each bull! That rifle hit everything I pointed it at---it'll take some time and a lot of ammo to get it to hit what I aim at, but his one is definitely a keeper!

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Now that's something to strive for!!!

My last range outing I took the CZ and hung two 50 ft small bore targets on the backboards of our 50 meter range and threw 50 rds at them. 5 shots at each of the 5 bulls on each target from a bench rest. With my tired old eyes I'da been happy just to hit the paper...well, sir...that CZ made it look like I'd actually aimed at each bull! That rifle hit everything I pointed it at---it'll take some time and a lot of ammo to get it to hit what I aim at, but his one is definitely a keeper!

That's nice. You should get a Yo-Dave trigger kit which comes with springs and tube shims. I did not have to use the shims and with the hardest spring in the kit, it was a little better but now with the next weighted spring down it's perfect but requires trigger control awareness. It has a very light crisp trigger break which is better then some of the expensive triggers and it passes the bump test with a rubber mallet. All this for $18.

The factory trigger pull was torqueing the rifle upwards, hopefully my groups will tighten up further to be better then bulk ammo.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I put a Timney trigger on my CZ455 VPT. But that was partially to match the Timney on my .308.

A couple people have had an issue with the Yo Dave and using shims, in that the proper shim for trigger pull had the bolt stop missing the bolt.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    I put a Timney trigger on my CZ455 VPT. But that was partially to match the Timney on my .308.

A couple people have had an issue with the Yo Dave and using shims, in that the proper shim for trigger pull had the bolt stop missing the bolt.

I have read about that issue. From what I understand every one of these rifles is unique and different in regard to the triggers. Some have found that no shims were necessary just the spring. Others had good luck with the shims and spring combo while others had the bolt stop problems having the bolt come out.

As for me I initially had no creep but a heavy trigger but after some time I was getting some creep. I actually thought changing the spring to a lighter one would magnify the creep and I would have to try the shims but to my astonishment all of the creep went away and I was left with a trigger that feels better then my Geissele trigger in my AR if that is even possible.

What I would really like is the single set trigger when CZ makes that available.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Actually, if anyone wants a Yo Dave kit for a CZ455, let me know, I bought one, then decided to put the Timney on it.

MikeCee

May 8, 2013
    We've currently got a CZ 452 Scout, a CZ 452 Military Trainer, a CZ 452 Full Stock, and a CZ 512 in our stable.

Yes, I like them very much.

ankrklankr

That's nice. You should get a Yo-Dave trigger kit which comes with springs and tube shims. I did not have to use the shims and with the hardest spring in the kit, it was a little better but now with the next weighted spring down it's perfect but requires trigger control awareness. It has a very light crisp trigger break which is better then some of the expensive triggers and it passes the bump test with a rubber mallet. All this for $18.

The factory trigger pull was torqueing the rifle upwards, hopefully my groups will tighten up further to be better then bulk ammo.

I haven't noticed anything amiss with mine. No creep, nice, easy pull, no torque that I'm aware of - will keep an eye out for that during the next couple of range trips.

Seems the bolt is in decent shape, as well. I read about some having burrs and other problems causing the bolt to stick. Tested mine by placing the butt on the bed, holding the trigger down, opening the bolt and gravity does the rest. It is a bit stiff opening and closing, but that will work itself out after a couple thousand rounds.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    I haven't noticed anything amiss with mine. No creep, nice, easy pull, no torque that I'm aware of - will keep an eye out for that during the next couple of range trips.

Seems the bolt is in decent shape, as well. I read about some having burrs and other problems causing the bolt to stick. Tested mine by placing the butt on the bed, holding the trigger down, opening the bolt and gravity does the rest. It is a bit stiff opening and closing, but that will work itself out after a couple thousand rounds.

My bolt is still stiff but it's a lot better then when I first got it 300 rounds ago. My safety was so stiff it was hard on my thumb but after messing with it at home it's normal now.
    This is a good thing because It's lapping it's self to be a tight fit. This CZ is probably the most solid rifle I own in terms of tight tolerances.

ankrklankr

My bolt is still stiff but it's a lot better then when I first got it 300 rounds ago. My safety was so stiff it was hard on my thumb but after messing with it at home it's normal now.
    This is a good thing because It's lapping it's self to be a tight fit. This CZ is probably the most solid rifle I own in terms of tight tolerances.

Mine is coming along nicely as well. Have also put about 300 rds through it so far, and the various moving parts, with the exception of the safety, seem to be breaking in as they should. That safety is a bear, but it'll loosen up through normal usage, like everything else, although once in awhile I'll pull the Trainer out of its resting place and cycle the bolt and safety a few times, just for fun.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    I'm going to mix it up with some quality ammo Saturday and see what it does. If it's no better then my last range trip with Federal Bulk then I'm to blame.

ankrklankr

I'm going to mix it up with some quality ammo Saturday and see what it does. If it's no better then my last range trip with Federal Bulk then I'm to blame.

Let me know the results, if you would? I'm beginning to sample different brands to learn what my 452's will shoot best. So far Eley Target works tolerably well. Surprisingly, CCI Standard Velocity was all over the place; targets looked like kitchen colanders after 50 rds. Could have been a batch of less than quality ammo, or the shooter may have been having an off day - will try it again, later. I have a couple of boxes of high priced spread but was saving those for undefined special occasions. I hesitate to use them in the 452's at this point 'cuz I'm not ready to accept the possibility that they may thrive on that ammo exclusively. Let me know how you fare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom