• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    The .45 glock slide can also fit 10mm? The extractor works for both rounds?

"There are a minimum of three things you have to change out to convert the G21 to 10mm: the magazine, the barrel, and the recoil spring. The magazine is the easiest part — just use a stock G20 magazine. Because the Glock 20 and 21 frames are the same, the mag fits perfectly. " from:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/frankenglock-10mm-45-glock-21/

For range work the above is all you need to do. For SD, perhaps change the ejector and extractor or just obtain a complete g20 slide, barrel and springs. I have never done this myself.

m1carbine

Mar 10, 2015
    Actually the 10mm and 45 recoil spring assemblies are the same for the 20 & 21. The pre-gen 4 single spring is 5586 and gen4 dual spring is 30077.

Duckncover

Jan 14, 2021
    howard county
    A 45 ACP will not slide up on a 40 or 9 breech face. A 9 can work on a 40 breech face but is too small to work on a 45 breech face. How much a Glock uses the breech face to guide the cartridge rim I haven’t really looked. Also the 45 uses a larger heavier slide.

The 45 may be converted to 10mm but not the opposite way. From what I have read you can go to smaller but not larger than original caliber. Whether or not this is still true I don’t know.

right, I guess what I should have said is Im surprised the extractor will reach, with the circumference difference between the rounds. Interesting.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I've got the GLOCK 40 with a RMR on it and it's a blast to shoot ringing 8x11 plates over 100 yards. I've also got a 5 inch Springfield TRP.
    The TRP gets shot more and is one of my favorite 1911s.
    I think it would be hard to go wrong with any of the pistols I've seen mentioned in this thread.
    If I was going to buy just one 10mm it would probably be the GLOCK 20.
    It's inexpensive, reliable, and holds 15 rounds. With just a 6 inch barrel I could hunt with it.

DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010
    Man, the prices are skyrocketing it seems. I’m hearing rumblings of 740 and up for the Glock 20. I’d love a sig in 10mm but I can’t afford those prices

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Glock or Ruger both very good of course you have better luck to get a wooden leg to grow branches than finding one.

DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010

FTJoe

Aug 27, 2012
    SOMD
    any love for the S&W 1000 series? I've shot the S&W 1006, Glock 20 & Colt Delta Elite side-by-side with 10mm full power and hand loads and I think the S&W shot & felt the best.

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    "There are a minimum of three things you have to change out to convert the G21 to 10mm: the magazine, the barrel, and the recoil spring. The magazine is the easiest part — just use a stock G20 magazine. Because the Glock 20 and 21 frames are the same, the mag fits perfectly. " from:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/frankenglock-10mm-45-glock-21/

For range work the above is all you need to do. For SD, perhaps change the ejector and extractor or just obtain a complete g20 slide, barrel and springs. I have never done this myself.

Just as an FYI, the stock G20 barrel from lone wolf is not ideal for conversion from the G21.

I recently talked to lone wolf and they said the G20 barrel that they sell "would not seat properly and would wiggle within the slide". They used to sell a conversion barrel, but haven't in a few years.

DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010
    any love for the S&W 1000 series? I've shot the S&W 1006, Glock 20 & Colt Delta Elite side-by-side with 10mm full power and hand loads and I think the S&W shot & felt the best.

I’m definitely open to S&W also

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

Prices have gone way up on those. S&W stopped making magazines for them 10 years ago. Miss my 1076.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland

The Smith is a heavier gun and has good ergonomics. It fits your hand well also...that’s a big factor. A friend has on and lives it. He told me 15 years ago I have to get a 10.

My preference for a 10...no surprise...is a 1911. In a 1911, at least, the 6” slide and barrel would make it a different. One or two mentioned this configuration. Not a long slide guy but in a 10 with a standard dust cover..seems sweet. I have a barrel and plans for a 6” 45 SMC/Super. Same animal, different size hole. Had a G20, never shot it. Bought it more out opportunity than desire. I couldn’t get past the rakish feel and small trigger guard opening. No regrets selling it.

Feel the same way about my G17, 4th...just can’t get past the feel of the pistol. I plan on keeping it, for now anyway.

Now to cough up the cash for a 6” 45 slide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom